Author Topic: 2009 Brake recall effecting master cylinder  (Read 310 times)

Offline Charles

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2009 Brake recall effecting master cylinder
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:16:27 pm »
Hi All,

I had the recall on the rear brake performed at the local dealership and then next day when riding the brake would not depress.  I had to slam it down then it worked for a while but every now and again it would lock up again.  I took it back in for service and they are saying it is the master cylinder.  I told them look, I didn't have the problem before you all serviced it and I immediately called you the next day when it happened.  It must have been something you all did.  He was going to check with Kawasaki and see if they have ever heard of the recall fix effecting the master cylinder.  Has anyone had the recall done and suffered the same issue?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2009 Brake recall effecting master cylinder
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:15:18 pm »
Bleed your brakes with new fluid and see what it looks like. First time I did mine there was small black specs in it along with being discolored. As a result and the noted problems I change brake fluids every spring and exercise the ABS by finding a dirt road/parking lot and try to stop a couple of times a year.

From what I've read it's not the master brake cylinder that goes bad, it's the ABS module pistons that get stuck probably from contaminated brake fluid. My theory any ways. There has been a couple of brave souls who have taken a ABS module apart cleaned and put back together with some success.

I like the Mity Vac to bleed the C14 systems with. These are not real expensive. They are sold at sears and Harbor freight. Last one I bought was from Harbor Freight for around $30.00 and contains everything you will need except new fluid and the wrench to open the bleeder.  But if using one be careful not to run the reservoir dry which is not hard to do if not paying attention. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 09:15:47 pm »
I had both recalls done, and each time I did have to go back and re-bleed a bit shortly afterwards..
during the recall, the complete assembly, including the master cylinder, is removed, for access to the replacement parts and assembling.. at this point, if someone actuated the pedal when the M/C is upside down ; pushing air into the lines..
I attached the recall procedure, but even tho they don't specify renewing the brake fluid, and bleeding, it SHOULD have been performed, and been written in the procedure as the problem I note would have been removed..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 01:32:31 am »
MOB, I doubt the system was even opened up when the final brake recall was done on my 09. So why would the shop bleed the rear brakes?
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 02:13:50 am »
Agreed - no bleeding required.  I suspect TimR has the answer here: From what I've read it's not the master brake cylinder that goes bad, it's the ABS module pistons that get stuck probably from contaminated brake fluid. My theory any ways. There has been a couple of brave souls who have taken a ABS module apart cleaned and put back together with some success.

But the coincidence seems bizarre.  Perhaps they adjusted the linkage as to prevent the m/cyl piston returning to its stop.

Are you out there Charles?
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?