Author Topic: TPMS Reset  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
TPMS Reset
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:02:59 am »
Does anyone know how to perform a TPMS reset once it continually displays the low/dead battery state for one of the tire pressure sensors? The goal is to get rid of the warning message so that other display functions can be used.

I received the low battery warning twice today for my rear tire sensor with the temperature in the low 60s. The warning went away after several miles of riding. I called the store where I bought my bike and talked to someone in service who told me that the warning has to be displayed continually before they can replace the sensor under warranty. He said this issue has been problematic for Kawasaki since the introduction of this bike. They're now on the 3rd generation of sensors to try to resolve the problem. He also mentioned that one of his customers told him that he figured out that he had to press two buttons prior to starting the bike to keep the warning from displaying all of the time. He didn't know which two buttons accomplish this though. Does anyone on the forums know which buttons to press? I did a search in the forums and on Google and didn't find any hits.

My bike is a 2013, so the sensor and battery are only 1 1/2 years old. The service guy also told me that they've had to replace the sensors on bikes on the showroom floor which hadn't even sold yet.

To clarify, my bike's rear tire sensor is not yet to the point where it's displaying the low battery warning continually, but I'm going on a long weekend ride in colder temps and don't want to be in the situation where the battery does totally die and my display is worthless for other trip information. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: TPMS Reset
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 06:41:24 am »
Did you recieve the small white Operators Manual when you purchased your bike?
if you didn't, your dealer owes you one... it explains the sequence for clearing the warning.
now,...on to the service dudes...
Your technician is a jerk. He admits they know this is an issue, but won't replace it till it's totally dead, and that's b/s.
He even admits they have bikes on the floor with dead batts...great. If you are getting the warnings repeatedly, there is a drivability issue, and the MUST remedy it.
If you have a cell phone, take a picture of it next time it happens. Go to the dealer, and go directly to the owner/director of the dealership, and have a sit down discussion with him. Tell him about our organization, and also about our technical people that are calling his retarded tech's "opinion" a bunch of b/s also.
Have him call Kaw Mother ship while you ere sitting in front of him, and get them to approve the swap.
Force them to accomodate, we here have been having this issue for a while, and it is an issue with the dealers, not with Kaw.
Don't let them keep your bike there either while you are waiting for the arrival of the parts, that's rediculous...have them order them, and call you when they arrive, and schedule the replacement.
My dealer ordered the parts on a verbal explanation by me, bike unseen, and 4 days later called me to schedule the replacement, which I scheduled for the very next day. Dropped it off when they opened, and picked it up finished on my lunch hour...
No reason for any dealer to be any different, unless they want publicity for being on our "black list" of dealerships.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:45:30 am by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:00:37 am »
push and hold the top button....push and release the bottom button.....release top button
If the battery goes completely dead it will display  ------------ and no longer take over the dash display
This works on 08. I would assume it's the same for all.

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:39:40 pm »
Thanks for the info, Blues Man. I think I'll check with another dealer in my area.

Yes, I do have the owner's manual. I've looked through the entire manual and couldn't find anything about resetting the TPMS low battery warning. My manual discusses the TPMS low battery warning on pp. 66-68. I also looked through the service manual, though not exhaustively. There's no procedure in the wheel/tire section to disable the warning.

However, I do see the procedure that gPink mentioned for both engine temperature and low fuel warnings. I'll give that a shot if the low TPMS battery warning stays on solid. Thanks, gPink.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!