Author Topic: 2009 Concours engine stalls - HELP!!!  (Read 657 times)

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2009 Concours engine stalls - HELP!!!
« on: May 13, 2019, 02:47:43 am »
Brand new to the group and to a 2009 Concours 14 (30k miles).  I absolutely loved it for a day (bought in a private sale) until the engine started to stall abruptly.  It did as I approached a stop sign.  I tried to restart with no luck for about 30 mins.  Then it started but stalled again after riding a few miles.  While I am incredibly disappointed, I realize how dangerous it is to have a stalled engine in the middle of the road.  I am not at all handy with bikes.  Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated. 

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
Re: 2009 Concours engine stalls - HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:53:51 am »
What's the fuel level in the tank?  I presume low, fill it, test it and report back. 
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:37:10 am »
It was low, I filled it with premium. And I still experience the issue. Also there are no errors on the dashboard. And it seems to happen after the engine has warmed up - riding 5 miles or so.

Thanks again.

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:07:34 pm »
It could be a blocked fuel pump suction screen - or fuel filter as it's commonly called.  If so, the problem often is temporarily reduced with a full tank but can still cause an issue of badly restricted.  I'd replace it as it's cheap and fairly easy to do (with the tank close to empty) but others may have another take on it.  The first time it happened to my, my bike would stall with the clutch in but would restart, though it was running very rough for the hour or so it took me to get home.  If you search 'fuel filter replacement' you should find lots of posts.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:11:22 pm by Freddy »

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:23:31 pm »
Much appreciated!  In my case once it stalls, it does'nt restart for 15 mins or so.  Might be because its badly clogged, and it takes a little while for it to settle. 

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Moped
  • COG#: 12840
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 03:10:02 pm »
I am not at all handy with bikes.  Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Only because of this statement, I you might try getting a can of Sea Foam or Techron fuel injector cleaner and put 125 -150% of the recommended amount in the fuel tank. Move the bike side to side to get it mixed in the gas and let it set for a while so the cleaner can work on the gunk in the fuel filter. Then try it again. There have been comments in other threads that this helps keep a filter clean. It might help here. But, if it does help it's probably not a great permanent solution, just an indication that the fuel filter is the likely culprit.

That said the better approach as you will hear from others is to pull the tank and replace the filter.

Good luck.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline TireguyfromMA

• Tricycle
  • The second mouse gets the cheese
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12669
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 04:18:55 pm »
Hey, welcome to the group!   Is it possible you have a clogged vent on your gas cap?  When the bike stalls open the gas cap.  If you hear the sound of air rushing in there's a good chance the vent was clogged.  If the bike starts right up after, you found the problem.  The pressure, or vacuum in this case  normalized after 30 minutes and allowed the bike to restart.   If not, I would go ahead and change the fuel pump suction screen, it's probably ready to be changed anyhow after 10 years, and they aren't expensive.  Good luck. Keep us posted
2010 C14. ECU Flash by Shodabeen, Sargent seat, Pathfinder LED kit, Darla Clearwater driving lights on forks, bearings on shift lever.
2002 Honda ST1100
1998 Honda VFR800 with A&A Supercharger..yee ha
1975 Honda CB125S.  Restored. The "S" is for slow.

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 05:46:03 pm »
Thanks for the insights everyone. 

Btw, I contacted a local mechanic (has great reviews on Yelp etc.) and he suggested doing the valve adjustment work (~ $400).  I understand it is recommended every 15K, so might be due for it, but could that contribute to stalling?

Offline sbkramer

• Tricycle
  • NASA dude
  • COG#: 12237
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 06:09:27 pm »
Fuel filter - https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23893459-quantum-fuel-pump-strainer-only-qty-3-for-kawasaki-concours-14-zg1400-2008-2019-replaces-49040-0024.html
$14.99

Pump motor and filter: https://www.highflowfuel.com/i-23443610-quantum-t35-intank-fuel-pump-for-kawasaki-concours-14-zg1400-2008-2019-replaces-49040-0024.html
$69.98

How to do it: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7625.0http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7625.0

Just replaced pump motor in second 09 C14 that I own.  Tried just filter pad first.  The original was in terrible shape.  Still not enough pump pressure with new pad to allow engine to tach over 5k under load.  Putting in new pump motor remedied.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »
Thanks for the insights everyone. 

Btw, I contacted a local mechanic (has great reviews on Yelp etc.) and he suggested doing the valve adjustment work (~ $400).  I understand it is recommended every 15K, so might be due for it, but could that contribute to stalling?

I am sure it has nothing to do with the valves, unless someone did them, and did them wrong, and sold it to you without fixing it.

$400? Get it in writing, guarantee the price, make him take pictures or video of all the work as it progresses, and let him have at it.  :))

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 08:06:26 pm »
 :great:  thanks

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 10:59:46 pm »
It won't be the valves unless someone's been into it and done it wrong as Phil says - otherwise keep outa there, at least for the time being (and for $400 - I'd like to see that done!)

(MOB, did you do your filter yet?)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:04:01 pm by Freddy »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 11:05:02 pm »
It won't be the valves unless someone's been into it and done it wrong as Phil says - otherwise keep outa there, at least for the time being (and for $400 - I'd like to see that done!)

... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
or, unless they have never been looked at, and it was a "monday morning bike", and they are all out of adjustment now @30k, and barely closing/or not at all now... :rotflmao:

But I'm going for fuel filter, as we never know what people "fed' to the bike, or what else they dumped in.. (like dustbowl gasoline, or muddy water)

do have to ask the o/p tho, what is it idleing at rpm, when the bike warms up, like, 2 minutes>?
if it isn't sitting at 1000 rpm, I suggest twisting that knob, down by your left shin, CLOCKWISE a little bit, and make sure the rpm is sitting around 1100 rpm, or close...
the bike tends to change needs as it ages...
also, an old/never changed air filter.with 30K on it...???.. yes, people do cheap out and never change them... may be a culprit also....  30k things without a "history", need to be done...

do the free, or non costly/simple stuff first.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:17:16 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 01:12:06 pm »
Thank you all.   I've put some Chevron Fuel System Cleaner, so lets see how it works out.  Will report back on that.
My idling was fine - around 1100 after warm up. 

This forum has been wonderful, lots of experience and helpful insights! 

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 01:40:02 pm »
So i took the bike to a local shop (the one with good reviews).  The guy has been incredibly nice and helpful.   But he's not able to reproduce the problem.   It is somewhat intermittent, and requires you to ride around for about 15-20 mins before it shows up.   He does not want to do anything until he reproduces.   Its day 3 at the shop now.  I'm wondering if I should ask him to bite the bullet and just replace the gas filter anyway?  I'm reluctant to ride around too much because it could stall anywhere/anytime. 

Thoughts?

Thanks again

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 08:19:48 pm »
So i took the bike to a local shop (the one with good reviews).  The guy has been incredibly nice and helpful. I'm wondering if I should ask him to bite the bullet and just replace the gas filter anyway?   

Thoughts?

Thanks again

If you decide to do this, I would just buy the pump & filter from Quatum Fuel Systems it's only $69.00 for everything with o-rings. This way you cover pump & filter, pump has to be disassembled anyway to replace filter.   

It can easily be done in a couple hours. No plastic removal, just have to remove tank & a few bolts out of some plastic pieces. Just did mine simply for preventive maintenance due to higher mileage.
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 08:55:10 pm »
Thank you

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 03:04:43 am »
So i took the bike to a local shop (the one with good reviews).  The guy has been incredibly nice and helpful. I'm wondering if I should ask him to bite the bullet and just replace the gas filter anyway?   

Thoughts?

Thanks again

If you decide to do this, I would just buy the pump & filter from Quatum Fuel Systems it's only $69.00 for everything with o-rings. This way you cover pump & filter, pump has to be disassembled anyway to replace filter.   

It can easily be done in a couple hours. No plastic removal, just have to remove tank & a few bolts out of some plastic pieces. Just did mine simply for preventive maintenance due to higher mileage.

Cliff, please don't tell him it's "simple", it's pretty involved for  novice level person..  wee deem it simple, but then some folks just don't have that aptitude, all respect to all involved, most assuredly... :-X :-X :-X

http://forum.cog-online.org/fuel-cooling-and-oil-systems-59/repacement-fuel-pumpfilter-combo/

more importantly this...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17490.msg213510#msg213510

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 11:13:51 am »

Thoughts?

Thanks again

Cliff, please don't tell him it's "simple", it's pretty involved for  novice level person..  wee deem it simple, but then some folks just don't have that aptitude, all respect to all involved, most assuredly... :-X :-X :-X

http://forum.cog-online.org/fuel-cooling-and-oil-systems-59/repacement-fuel-pumpfilter-combo/

more importantly this...

Never said simple. Only mentioned a time frame so he might know his approximate cost by figuring shop rate plus parts with work done by his helpful mechanic. Not to mention letting him know the labor would the same with the pump, since it's all the same process. Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

He made it clear in his 1st post he's not able!
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 03:01:07 pm »

Thoughts?

Thanks again

more importantly this...

Awesome write up over on zggtr. My itty bitty six fiddy Versys uses the same fuel pump but obviously tank removal is different.

Thanks.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 09:06:31 pm »

Never said simple. Only mentioned a time frame so he might know his approximate cost by figuring shop rate plus parts with work done by his helpful mechanic. Not to mention letting him know the labor would the same with the pump, since it's all the same process. Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

He made it clear in his 1st post he's not able!

got it, yes I agree also... sorry to have brought that up... :great: :great:

And just as "the cobbler's children have no shoes".... dummy me has let way to many things "pile up", so instead of doing my bike, which I have everything here sitting... I've been working on mowers, trucks, and mowing.... between rain storms... I always hate to open a fuel tank, for a day, when it's raining outside....  bad karma to me always... >:( :'(

but this shall pass, and soon it will be up and running. :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: :) ;)

Offline kawiRider

• Big Wheels
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 10:22:41 pm »
No harm no foul. With everything going on, not to mention lack of necessary tools, not sure I will ever take that on.

BTW, this happens after riding for a little while - say 15 mins or so.  If the fuel filter is clogged shouldn't it happen right away or not start at all?  And because of this my mechanic has not been able to do anything yet.

Any theories on this?

As always I appreciate the time and thoughtful responses.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 10:32:36 pm »
meh... most times it will start... but when pressed for increased fuel flow, the incidence is apparent.

seen it a lot of times.
 that said, do seek into the air filter, and also, the valve inspection/adjust, as both those also come into play after the bike is warm, and running...