Author Topic: 2009 fairing nut missing - help with part #  (Read 1718 times)

Offline 7LakesGuy

• Mini Bike
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11534
  • Membership Level: Active
2009 fairing nut missing - help with part #
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:19:56 pm »
I don't have a pic with me today but figured this would be a relatively common issue... I can post a pic tonight if needed.

I finally bit the bullet and took on the install of the Mondemoto LED lights on my own after getting Fred's videos and watching him take the fairing apart.

Everything went well - but after putting it all back together, there was one problem.  One the left hand middle fairing panel there is one small bolt that goes into the body crease just above and behind the Kawasaki logo, and it looks like this bolt threaded into a nut that was clipped into the frame behind it.  I've lost this nut - must have pushed it out when I was reassembling, and I have looked everywhere for it inside the body of the bike and can't find it.

After checking out the parts diagrams online, it looks like this is part # 92015B but I was hoping to get confirmation before ordering.  I did a quick search and didn't find any other reference to this part # on the board so that made me nervous since it seemed like someone would have answered this question before.

Thanks!
2009 C14 | AMA #2830800 | COG #11534 | CDA #5025 | Type O-

Offline C14Addict

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9098
Re: 2009 fairing nut missing - help with part #
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:37:07 pm »
Yes, that's the nut. A rubber grommet with a built in nut. I have ordered these from various suppliers and they are not that cheap.
Using Ron Ayers, here is the part:
92015B  Actual Part Number 92015-1757  "NUT,5MM"   $4.64 Each.
It's good to have a few around, as they go in all the places the 5mm screws go, and get deformed when you take the plastic off and on too many times (like for valve lash checks) and crank down to the goodntight torque spec.  I also suggest a few spare screws (92153A) and nylon washers (92200).
You might be able to find these nuts at an auto supply store for foreign cars. That's where I found some 'close enough' replacements, much cheaper. Only issue might be they start out a little loose, but they work fine once snug to hold the plastic secure.

Cheers  :)
Don Frazier
79 GS1000 174K miles, Gone but not forgotten
08 ZG1400 118K miles, on way to next 100K

Offline 7LakesGuy

• Mini Bike
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11534
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:48:50 pm »
Yes, that's the nut. A rubber grommet with a built in nut. I have ordered these from various suppliers and they are not that cheap.
Using Ron Ayers, here is the part:
92015B  Actual Part Number 92015-1757  "NUT,5MM"   $4.64 Each.
It's good to have a few around, as they go in all the places the 5mm screws go, and get deformed when you take the plastic off and on too many times (like for valve lash checks) and crank down to the goodntight torque spec.  I also suggest a few spare screws (92153A) and nylon washers (92200).
You might be able to find these nuts at an auto supply store for foreign cars. That's where I found some 'close enough' replacements, much cheaper. Only issue might be they start out a little loose, but they work fine once snug to hold the plastic secure.

Cheers  :)

Thanks for the confirmation and for the advice.  Definitely worth it to grab a handful of each of these.
2009 C14 | AMA #2830800 | COG #11534 | CDA #5025 | Type O-

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:33 pm »
I don't have a pic with me today but figured this would be a relatively common issue... I can post a pic tonight if needed.

I finally bit the bullet and took on the install of the Mondemoto LED lights on my own after getting Fred's videos and watching him take the fairing apart.

Everything went well - but after putting it all back together, there was one problem.  One the left hand middle fairing panel there is one small bolt that goes into the body crease just above and behind the Kawasaki logo, and it looks like this bolt threaded into a nut that was clipped into the frame behind it.  I've lost this nut - must have pushed it out when I was reassembling, and I have looked everywhere for it inside the body of the bike and can't find it.

After checking out the parts diagrams online, it looks like this is part # 92015B but I was hoping to get confirmation before ordering.  I did a quick search and didn't find any other reference to this part # on the board so that made me nervous since it seemed like someone would have answered this question before.

Thanks!

These are "well nuts" and you'll find them in the hardware section at Lowes for a LOT less than a Kawasaki parts dealer.  I bought several of them for under $1 each.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_137184-37672-880513_0__?Ntt=metric+well+nuts&UserSearch=metric+well+nuts&productId=3012495&rpp=32

The Concours uses a number of different sizes, so stock up as these things are easy to loose.  Lowes also has the hex-head metric screws and also the tiny little nylon washers that go under the screws.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline laker9142

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8680
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »
Murph sells the well nuts in both 5 and 6mm sizes, which are the only sizes ive found on the 08 model. He's cheap and fast.