Author Topic: 2010 Concours 14000 Review  (Read 10364 times)

Offline Haroldo

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8728
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
2010 Concours 14000 Review
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 12:33:00 pm »
Fine, I'll shut up then. I'm planning a ride next June (I have the Zumo gps and Google Earth files if anyone is interested)...    4 days, 1300 miles of twisty nor cal (less than 100 miles of freeway total). It is a lot of daily saddle time (about 9 hours of good riding, including tire kicking stops). I usually go with local friends (BMW guys), but will give this a shot and try to get some coggers to attend. It's way too far away now, but I'll start to throw it out there. I'll stop slacking.    By the way, are you the same Bob Kipass hater from the other forum?    

Offline raulb

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 07:59:00 pm »
I am sorry that I caused this thread to get sidetracked.    However, a gauntlet was thrown with this:  "Hmmm am I missing something?  I Count 16 out of 30 nationals west of the Mississippi.  You southwesters are just slackin. "    Let's look at this another way, five of those were west of the Rockies.  To those of us on the western slope of the continent, that is a more realistic division than the Mississippi River.    As I live just about as far from the Mississippi as you can get and still be in the US, saying something is "west of the Mississippi" is almost meaningless.  There is about 2000 miles between me and the Mississippi.    OK, going by the National Rally page, I count 14 west of the Mississippi.  I may have missed two (like Wisconsin) because I don't know which side of the Mississippi they are on.  Yet from me:  Colorado Springs, CO, 1083, miles on the other side of the Rockies  Cody, WY, 1139 miles, in the Rockies  Baniff, ALB, 1652 miles, on the other side of the Rockies  "Colorado," where?  Sonora, CA 360 miles, doable  "Oregon," where?  Avon, CO, 910 miles, in the Rockies  Fredricksburg, TX, 1307 miles, on the other side of the Rockies   Brian Head, UT, 470 miles, doable  Mountain Home, AR, 1661 miles, way on the other side of the Rockies  Klamath Falls, OR, 694 miles, starting to get a little far but still doable    Since I bought my Connie in Oct. '03:  Centralia, WA, 1065, a bit far  Hill City, SD, 1300 miles, on the other side of the Rockies  Frisco, CO, 900 miles, a bit far and in the Rockies    I don't know how these places are chosen nor anything about the planning but of those west of the Rockies, I only see 3 that are within riding distance for me to make the trip, none at all since I bought the Connie--especially since, until recently, I was not even been able to take more than a weekend off in nearly 10 years.  That makes a 1000 mile trip a little out of the question.     OH, and how many of those were in the Southwest???????  Nada, zip, none.  But this does get me back to my original complaint, doesn't it.        
_____________________________________  raulb        2003 Connie  COG #6043  CDA #281  AMA #699463    "It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are."    --Red Green, "The New Red

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 12:16:00 am »

I don't know how these places are chosen nor anything about the planning  
     Here is how rally locations are chosen... (some of this is in the process of being restructured to define hard dates & deadlines, but the concept will be the same.    1) One or more people put a proposal together for a national rally location. They present it to their Area Director (AD) in time so that he/she can present it to the COG Board of Directors to vote on it before the end of the year.     2) The Board reviews the proposals and votes to select the one they feel is the best choice.  In the past 10 years I have been on the board there has only been one proposal each year... and some years getting one almost did not happen.    Basically, as you can see... the rallies will go to locations where a  member volunteers to organize and run the event for the club. Most times the member runs the rally in the COG area they reside in, and usually within several hundred miles of their home so that they can set it up and run the event.         --  Steve Smith, COG #3184  COG Northeast Area Director  (somewhere in south central CT)    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 05:18:00 am »
 [OK, going by the National Rally page, I count 14 west of the Mississippi.  I may have missed two (like Wisconsin) because I don't know which side of the Mississippi they are on.  Yet from me:   Colorado Springs, CO, 1083, miles on the other side of the Rockies   Cody, WY, 1139 miles, in the Rockies   Baniff, ALB, 1652 miles, on the other side of the Rockies   "Colorado," where?   Sonora, CA 360 miles, doable   "Oregon," where?   Avon, CO, 910 miles, in the Rockies   Fredricksburg, TX, 1307 miles, on the other side of the Rockies   Brian Head, UT, 470 miles, doable   Mountain Home, AR, 1661 miles, way on the other side of the Rockies   Klamath Falls, OR, 694 miles, starting to get a little far but still doable ]
           There's never going to be a National that's close for everyone. Last years being on the east coast, as it was said, was just about 1,000 for my bunch of travelers, and we live on the east coast. Next year in Wisconsin will be over 1,000 miles. But I plan on going. If you wait until it's in your back yard, you'll be missing out on good times.      Bionic Bob  COG & AMA member  First C14 CDA member #0220  2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak    
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:54:00 pm by norm9688 »

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 01:36:00 pm »
The only one in my back yard was the year before I joined.  I went 1600 miles to this years when it was only 1100 miles away.  Some of us just enjoy the trip as much as the destination.  Photos[/url]
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Haroldo

• Tricycle
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 04:02:00 pm »
I have to make it to one of these nationals just so I can hear COG members say: "So, you are that pain in the a$$ who keeps complaining about printing the Concourier and rally locations! It's nice to put a face to the a$$, I mean, to the alias!"     I know wine a lot on the forums, but I'm really not that bad in person!  :)  

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 05:02:00 pm »
We all need to practice more tolerance.  One news story today is a guy that mistakenly text the wrong person.  The texting exchanged escalated into a all out yo mama fest.  One suggested they meet in a parking lot to settle it.  When one guy showed the other pulled a gun and shot him dead.  Lesson for all forum users I think.   Photos[/url]
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 06:12:00 pm »
I have to make it to one of these nationals just so I can hear COG members say: "So, you are that pain in the a$$ who keeps complaining about printing the Concourier and rally locations! It's nice to put a face to the a$$, I mean, to the alias!"
 Ahh, you would not be the first!  ;p    Dave Muir  1980 LTD1000 - Rocket  1999 Concours - Rocket II  1997 Dyna - wife's  CT-COG #3649
<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 06:13:00 pm »
Just to get this thread back on track, I have completed my 2010 Ride report article and sent it in to Bob Burns. I believe Bob will be getting the magazine shipped out later next week, so you all should have it in your mailboxes real soon.  
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Ken_Ford_FL

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 354
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »
This thread really got off track, but the discussion that ensued was and is meaningful.  The COG Directors and Officers are well aware of the lack of events west of the Rockies and have discussed it many times.  It is something we would like to change, however we cannot do it for you.  We are in the same boat as you - your area is too far away for us to do it.  I believe that one of the problems is that there are not enough AAD's in the southwest area.  There is a lot more ground to cover than there is in the southeast.  We are always looking for more good people willing to work for COG.  Talk to your AD and volunteer to be an AAD.  Make the areas smaller and more manageable.  Maybe there should be an AAD for Las Angeles, San Franscisco and other large metro. areas.    Remember COG hears you - send us your suggestions for improvement as well as your gripes.    Ken Ford  Executive Director  
Ken Ford
COG Exec Dir

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
WOW, interesting side bars and hijack...I see things are really running smooth.  I've been away a while trying to keep my paying job satisfied, you know..the one that pays for the C14 I bought so I could keep abreast of the needs of the group wayyyyyy  back when it came out.  I nteresting to see that the current powers that be could pull strings, and arrange for Freddy to get a free ride to the release, and get spoon fed all the pablum to transfer to the group under the guise of a "journalist". Just adds a bit more to my smoking pipe about being groomed, and coddled. I had absolutly zero backing and assistance from this club when I needed it attempting to get pre-release info, test rides, anything to give to the group on this bike back in 2007. I virtually had to walk into a dealership and plop down a note for $14,237.00 for the pleasure of "keeping up".... I don't regret it, and seeing as nothing broke to report on, it's been a good ride. I'm glad the door was opened for Fred to get the opportunity to do the legwork, I have to say that I wasn't sitting on my thumbs here during the bikes intro, and pretty much figure somone is riding on the laurals of some pretty painfully hard work to get Kaw to see COG was serious about the bike.   Sorry to have to air "sour grapes", but it's a forum, and that's the way it goes. Hope the article is a good one, and I look forward to it, especially as Bob held up the issue for you. Man, you sure have it easy.    oh, I found great humor in "Remember COG hears you - send us your suggestions for improvement as well as your gripes."    I see that Ken finds the advertising of tech videos acceptable here on this site in a sig line.... good work. So much for the By-laws of COG.    how about just changing the bylaws ok??  have a nice weekend.  

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8557
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »
Man that's what I call MAN OF BLUES crying the blues!  
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592 SCAAD 74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 01:02:00 pm »
Well that was probably unnecessary. But everyone needs to vent now and then. Although I will point out that although Fred got to test the new model C14. He also went into a dealer and plopped down his hard earned money as well for his bike. Just an observation.    Bionic Bob  COG & AMA member  First C14 CDA member #0220  2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak  

Offline norm-9688

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7011
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 01:42:00 pm »
oh, I found great humor in "Remember COG hears you - send us your suggestions for improvement as well as your gripes."    I see that Ken finds the advertising of tech videos acceptable here on this site in a sig line.... good work. So much for the By-laws of COG.    how about just changing the bylaws ok??  have a nice weekend.
      Somebody call the Wahmbulance         Perhaps you should ask the past ED why you seemed to lack the support you think the current TE gets.      
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:28:00 pm by norm9688 »

Offline Haroldo

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 02:42:00 pm »
 He also went into a dealer and plopped down his hard earned money as well for his bike. Just an observation.  
   Why? Is there any other way to buy a motorcycle? Should ManOfBlues of Fred have gotten it any other way?     I don't understand why ManOfBlues is crying about having spent 14K to buy a bike. Am I missing something? It kind of sounds as if he shouldn't have to spend money when buying a motorcycle. He makes it sound as if its a burden that could have been avoided if he had more support from COG...how? Should COG have bought the bike for him? I'm lost.    PS: Sorry Fred, this thread is way far gone, beyond any hopes of getting back on the original subject. Maybe you could start a fresh one and we (at least I) promise to keep it on track. This one is a about a Concours 14000 review anyway...I only know the 1400  :)  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:58:00 pm by Haroldo »

Offline Rob

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 03:08:00 pm »
Somebody needs a little cheese to go with all that whine.    I have to believe that diplomacy, the ability to write, and an ego that doesn't get in the way had a lot to do with Fred's opportunity.     And it seems I recall someone pushing side stand extenders ad nauseum when they had an official position.....  

Offline Bobber

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 2994
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2009, 12:59:00 pm »
While waiting for your issue of The Concourier to arrive, here is a First Ride report from Motorcycle Daily that you can peruse: http://www.motorcycledaily.com/30october09_kawasaki2010concours14.htm    Bob Sherwood  COG #2994  COG Industry Liaison  MSF RiderCoach  Statesboro, GA
Bob Sherwood

millerized

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 05:40:00 pm »
And that is why I haven't made footpegs for this bike yet.  They're not done playing with it.     One of the nice things about the C10....little to no changes on bodywork or mounting points over the entire lifetime of the species.    Different bodywork now, and I can almost guarantee what little measurements I'd taken before no longer work with the new skin.    I'm wondering if I could go into the decal business instead.  Still lots of surface area to play with ;)    ....hmmm...tip-over decals! That'll sell! ;p  http://millerized.com/pegs  I'll be in the garage  COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 03:26:00 am »
  C14 don't need aux-pegs, sorry dude...        but we still have to work out that trailer hitch thang, bro...  see ya at burrrrrr...      
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:52:00 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 07:17:00 am »
Maybe in your opinion it doesn't need them. I personally would like to have the option of using some on mine if they didn't look totally ridiculous like the mirror lifts that are out there. My knees tend to cramp after long hours on the bike. I myself would like a option.    Bionic Bob  COG & AMA member  First C14 CDA member #0220  2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak  

Offline Camper Dave

• Crotch Rocket
    • The WOG
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:00 am »
naw, Jimmie , make up a bunch of "I paid Fred $$ for what I couldn't figger it out" videos, and sell them to him, those will go over bigtime....
   Geesh MoB, you feel like airing out your dirty laundry about whatever the club did or didn't supply what you feel you earned or deserved during your time as Tech Ed, have at it. (Just remember, those by-laws also pertain to you!) But it's starting to sound like you have some kind of personal ax to grind against Fred, and I don't believe personal attacks belong anywhere on the COG site... even if this is just another forum to you...  :(  Dave Muir  1980 LTD1000 - Rocket  1999 Concours - Rocket II  1997 Dyna - wife's  CT-COG #3649
<--- is there any mechanism in place to deal with a non- productive, antagonistic, former non- member such as this?

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8062
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2009, 01:01:00 pm »
Wow!  We have maybe one page of C-14 info and 4 pages of BS.  Is there any way that this thing could be weeded out and returned to the original discussion or are we going to have to keep wading through the "stinky stuff" to get what we actually want to see?    COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife
Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2009, 01:06:00 pm »
MOB,    I have the utmost respect and appreciation for all the ground breaking work you did when the C14 was released, and I know first hand how much work it can be. You did an excellent job as Tech Editor for COG, and deserve to be commended for all your efforts.    I can certainly understand your feelings with regards to my invitation to attend the Press Introduction of the 2010 and I am sure that if you had stayed on as Technical Editor for COG, that you would have been invited to attend.    I know that all of COG is grateful for your service to the club and everyone appreciates what you have done. If there is anything I can ever do for you, please don't hesitate to ask and I will do my best to accommodate you.    Your untiring dedication to the job and hard work in bedding down the new model will always be remembered and appreciated, and I know everyone else feels the same. You stepped in an awful big set of shoes following in Guy's footsteps, and I know that wasn't an easy task. You have made a significant contribution to the group and we would not be as far along in the understanding of this bike without you.        
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:06:00 pm by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Ken_Ford_FL

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 354
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2009, 01:35:00 pm »
I would like to second what Fred said to MoB!  We are grateful for your past service and the groundbreaking work you did during your time in office.  It's the same with all of the COG Officers and Directors.  Since COG is entirely a VOLUNTEER organization, everything we all do is because we love the sport and the people we meet through COG.  It is a labor of love.  Also all of the Officers and Directors are "groungbreakers".  Everyone is growing into the job, and looking for new ways to make COG better.    Ken Ford,  ED  
Ken Ford
COG Exec Dir

Offline Haroldo

• Tricycle
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2009, 02:04:00 pm »

Is there any way that this thing could be weeded out and returned to the original discussion ...?  
   There is not much else to add to the original discussion, unless Fred spoils his own review and reveals his findings from last week. All other speculative information about the 2010 has been duscussed ad nauseum (Did I just say "ad nauseum"?  :p )    So, while we wait, here some BS for ya to kill time :)