Author Topic: 2011 Concours 14 buzz or vibration poll  (Read 14075 times)

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 2011 Concours 14 buzz or vibration poll
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 06:28:48 pm »
The vibration on my C14 came on at different rpm's. But was not what I considered a problem. All in all still one of if not the smoothest bikes I've owned. But it did have some vibrations. I think that vibrations though the dash was more annoying than vibrations felt through the bars though.

Offline 911ZG guy

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8019
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 10:05:10 pm »
My '09, when in the twisties at a high rpm will put my right hand to sleep.  I have to find a straight piece of road and then shake my hand a few seconds to get the tingling to quit.

Other than that, no problems.

Just like Jerry said here. But, it sure is cool to feel that rush above 6000 revs!! Worth every tingle!

Offline Glenn

• Mini Bike
  • 2011 Concours14, 1984 KZ1100R, 2008 KLR685
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9602
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 10:28:31 pm »
I answered 'no' to the poll. I have a 2011 and when the engine is running there are only the normal vibes that you would associate with a motorcycle. I had some issues with my hands going numb, but I solved that problem with bar risers, grab on grip covers, Kaoko throttle lock, and a Corbin seat. Running up the rpm's There are phases of vibration that occur, none of them problematic.
"If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't."

Offline texasdw

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 9747
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:11 am »
As others have said, vibration is relative.  My 2011 vibrates more than my wing...or well, maybe it's more of a buzz... regardless, it's certainly no more than I'd expect or really care about for this type of bike.  So, I'm voting no.
IBA #48462; 2019 Concours; 2019 HD Road King

Offline 2011Blk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 03:24:38 am »
I get a bit of vibration at and above 4,000 rpm but it's really only noticeable in 6th gear (OD); reminds me to watch for cops. In the lower gears I don't notice it because I'm watching cars/trucks rapidly disappearing in my rearview mirrors.   :motonoises:  It could be better, but my KLR had a buzz over 65 mph and I remember my 1970 650 Yamaha moving across the garage floor when idling on its center stand.
TJ
Colorado Springs & Las Cruces

2011 Concours - Fun ;D
08 KLR 650 - 11,000 miles ... sold
78 Yamaha XS-750E - 42,000 miles then gave it to a friend

Studies show that spending one sunny day alone on your motorcycle riding twisty mountain roads does more for your soul than mowing the lawn every Saturday morning for a decade.

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2011, 06:10:01 am »
I answered 'no' to the poll. I have a 2011 and when the engine is running there are only the normal vibes that you would associate with a motorcycle. I had some issues with my hands going numb, but I solved that problem with bar risers, grab on grip covers, Kaoko throttle lock, and a Corbin seat. Running up the rpm's There are phases of vibration that occur, none of them problematic.

Define normal vibration.  I know my motorcycle experience is only a year old but I certainly feel that for the money and today's technology, this thing shouldn't vibrant or buzz like this. Another person on here works near by and is willing to let me check his bike. I am going to get with him to see what I find out.   I wonder what I will find if I put an accelerometer on it.  This would tell me what frequency it is buzzing at. Also what the amplitude is. I think that could be compared to the engine to see if there is a match.
2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Glenn

• Mini Bike
  • 2011 Concours14, 1984 KZ1100R, 2008 KLR685
  • COG#: 9602
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2011, 02:23:57 pm »
Define normal vibration.  I know my motorcycle experience is only a year old but I certainly feel that for the money and today's technology, this thing shouldn't vibrant or buzz like this. Another person on here works near by and is willing to let me check his bike. I am going to get with him to see what I find out.   I wonder what I will find if I put an accelerometer on it.  This would tell me what frequency it is buzzing at. Also what the amplitude is. I think that could be compared to the engine to see if there is a match.

I've ridden a Harley for the last 5 years, it vibrates a lot, especially at idle. The Kawasaki in comparison is like a Swiss watch! When a 1352 cc engine is running I expect there to be some indication that it is doing so. What I meant was that on my 2011 there is nothing out of the ordinary through the rpm range that would give me pause. I used to own a 1987 C10, it had more vibration than the C14 but was still a joy to ride. My old 1984 KZ 1100 has more vibration than the C14 as well, but not a problem. Normal vibration to me means that you can feel your engine running, but you can ride your bike without any issues.

I like your idea of doing a comparison ride, hope that will sort out the problem.
"If you think you don't need a helmet, you probably don't."

Offline Timbo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2011, 08:18:01 pm »

I've ridden a Harley for the last 5 years, it vibrates a lot, especially at idle. The Kawasaki in comparison is like a Swiss watch! When a 1352 cc engine is running I expect there to be some indication that it is doing so. What I meant was that on my 2011 there is nothing out of the ordinary through the rpm range that would give me pause. I used to own a 1987 C10, it had more vibration than the C14 but was still a joy to ride. My old 1984 KZ 1100 has more vibration than the C14 as well, but not a problem. Normal vibration to me means that you can feel your engine running, but you can ride your bike without any issues.

:iagree:

I like your idea of doing a comparison ride, hope that will sort out the problem.

Offline Bourne2Ride

• Moped
  • COG#: 10541
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 12:22:51 am »
No vibration on my 2011. I really don't feel any buzzing. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough; but I think this bike is really smooth. I haven't really cranked her to the Red Line though. I've never had the need to be up there.  My brother thinks the Connie is smooth also. he rides an M109R.
CDA# 0425

Offline Timbo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 01:15:38 am »
I just came from an M109R cruiser v-twin. Just bought a 2011 connie. It is glass smooth!

Offline ACR_SCOUT

• Bicycle
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 11:41:39 am »
Seems this poll is running neck and neck. Either inconclusive or it is demonstrating that there are vibrations out there.  I just wanted my experience to be much more positive than this.

2012 Gold Wing

----Use to have----
2011 Concours 14
Cee Baily Ultra Tour
Barend Weights
Shad SL 50
Phil's Rack

Offline Michael

• Tricycle
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 12:54:03 pm »
No vibrations on my 2010 that I can tell although I do get some numbness on the throttle side pinky, mostly because I tend to over grip the throttle.  My only comparison is my 09 KLR, which I've come to call 'the eggbeater'   :motonoises:   I do Murph's risers and Phil's wedeges installed.
Mike
Springfield, VA
2010 Concours 14 ABS
2009 KLR 650

Offline lemosley01

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 03:05:32 am »
This is all really subjective. I just picked up my 2012 today and it is smooth until about 4k rpm, then it has a little buziness - the Zx14 I just traded for it was also similar. However, both are smoother than the Yamaha V4 I also traded, which itseld was really smooth for a cruiser. I rode from the dealer home 70 miles and noticed the vibes pick up about 4K RPM but are not enough to numb my hands. They are minor and what I would consider normal, especially considering the handle bars are mounted solidly to the triple clamp, and are themselves long (making them more susceptible to harmonis, I would think).

ACR, because your MC experience is so new, I'd guess you don't have much to compare it against. Both the Zx14 and Concours are smoother than the 2003 ZX-9 I had. That doesn't mean your bike isn't abnormal, but there is no way for us to objectively compare without switching bikes.

Have you though of trying some gasket material or rubber between the handle bar mount points? I also wouldn't be surprised if a TB sync and a fueling remap (via PCV or the ECU flash) helped. I recall other instances (not on this motorcycle) where TB sync and fuel remaps helped smooth the engine out, which reduced vibrations.

Offline C1xRider

• Road Bike
  • I'm not monitoring this forum. PM me at zggtr.org
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 05:19:29 am »
This is all really subjective. I just picked up my 2012 today and it is smooth until about 4k rpm, then it has a little buziness - the Zx14 I just traded for it was also similar. However, both are smoother than the Yamaha V4 I also traded, which itseld was really smooth for a cruiser. I rode from the dealer home 70 miles and noticed the vibes pick up about 4K RPM but are not enough to numb my hands. They are minor and what I would consider normal, especially considering the handle bars are mounted solidly to the triple clamp, and are themselves long (making them more susceptible to harmonis, I would think).

ACR, because your MC experience is so new, I'd guess you don't have much to compare it against. Both the Zx14 and Concours are smoother than the 2003 ZX-9 I had. That doesn't mean your bike isn't abnormal, but there is no way for us to objectively compare without switching bikes.

Have you though of trying some gasket material or rubber between the handle bar mount points? I also wouldn't be surprised if a TB sync and a fueling remap (via PCV or the ECU flash) helped. I recall other instances (not on this motorcycle) where TB sync and fuel remaps helped smooth the engine out, which reduced vibrations.

If your has a very minor buzz at 4K, then it sounds like yours is a smooth one, congrats.  I've ridden another of the same year as mine, and they were substantially different.  There was nothing subjective about it.

The vibration on mine is also worse under load, so that's another variable.  If I start to 'gently' increase speed from 3K RPM in 6th gear, the vibs in the foot pegs would numb the bottoms of my feet if I just held it at that acceleration rate.  It really kicks in once it gets above 3500RPM.

Want to trade??
2010 C14 ABS  :great:
2000 XT350
1998 C10
1983 V65 Magna
1978 SX250

Offline Warren

• Bicycle
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 10:10:19 pm »
Warning- Thread resurection

I've been chasing the buzz in my bike for as long as I can remember.  Consistantly starts above 3500 and as described by others very pronounced in higher RPMs.

Only real checks have been torques but haven't  aggressively chased it.  Planning to get a TB sync at some point in a hope that it may help.... :sign0085:

/r

Allen

Offline ZG

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 9735
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »
BAD A$$ isn't cheap, and cheap isn't BAD A$$...

Offline Warren

• Bicycle
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 01:57:17 am »
Hey, I warned you!
Never found any real resolutions...

Offline Deanc

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 09:31:09 pm »
I have a little buzz on my 2011 with risers and foam grips.  The buzz has not put my hands to sleep but I do notice the vibration since I've been riding an ST1300 for a few years.  Thought maybe I could dampen the vibration by placing rubber under the handle bar mounts.
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Mountain Runner Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429

Offline notsluggo

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10187
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2016, 02:06:17 pm »

This - excepting I haven't gone to an aftermarket seat.  I think any in-line 4 will numb your hands if you leave them on the bars long enough.  Throttle lock (Omni cruise in my case) solved that problem for me.  And - I'm not sure the numbness was from vibration (which is minimal at best) or from arm position.  In addition to risers - I have wedges as well.
Ride safe(r).
- notsluggo
2011 Concours 14 - The Silver Bullet!
2014 KLR650 - Kelly
Parker, CO

Offline Arabian Red

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11292
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 01:06:29 pm »
I have a 2012 and had an issue with a buzzing sound from the front at speed and could not locate it by riding. One day I was drying it after a wash and used a damp chamois to remove water spots from the front fender and noticed the same sound when the synthetic clothe would skitter across the paint. The sound turned out to be coming from the throttle side of the fender where it met a black plastic winglet if you will located adjacent to the front shock. So I isolated the joint between that side winglet and the fender with some adhesive and the sound is gone. All this time is was two pieces of plastic vibrating to make that noise.

Offline Rick2world

• Tricycle
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 03:50:37 pm »
My 2014 vibrates much less than my previous FJR 2005, even after doing the un authorized throttle body adjustments every year. The Concours is much smoother with no adjustments.
The FJR vibrates starting at 4200 RPM. My friend has a 2014 and same problem

My concours has no cruise control but much smoother than a FJR in my books. On the JFR, I was always looking for a six gear In order to get rid of the buzzing vibration. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 04:05:42 pm by Rick2world, Reason: Added more info »

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 12:05:20 am »
Tires and tire balance can also create buzz. I noticed this when I got new tires. I use a Cat O-Ring to cure hand numbness and when I have new tires I use it less. Old cupped tires create a lot of vibration.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”