Author Topic: 2012 concours brakes  (Read 3421 times)

Offline gabriel

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2012 concours brakes
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:10:45 am »
Hello,
I have recently purchased my first Concours. Its a 2012 with about 8k on it. I love everything about this motorcycle except the brakes. I understand the linked brake system, however when depressing just the rear brake pedal the front brakes are very abrupt and grabby. When i squeeze just the front brake lever it not so bad, but still a choppy feel. Not a good feel at all. Not smooth. It can even be scary at times. The brake pads appear to have plenty of life. I know there are two setting with the ABS switch and that does not improved it either way. Also there is a lot of travel on my rear brake pedal, which i have adjusted and i plan on adjusting it more, but it also has not helped. Has anyone experienced this, and is there any solution? Thanks for your time!

Offline Sandy

• Tricycle
Re: 2012 concours brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 01:30:12 am »
I have the same issue on a 2010 with 20K on it. Haven't found the problem yet. I have a professional one man bleeder and have extensively bled the brakes. No help yet.
New Jersey CMA Area Rep.  Vietnam Vet 68/69 USMC  01 Connie  02 Wing  00 Custom V Twin 105hp  sandycmanj@yahoo.com

Offline old n slow

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 02:54:07 am »
The link system on  our bike stinks! Everyone will agree. But....I too had the choppy feeling when using front brake only. It went away when I put new tires on. The old tires were from the previous owner, mileage unknown, but they were worn out.

I am now in the habit of using the hand brake only.
Mike D.   

old n slow...it's my way of life☺

Offline smooth_operator

• government isn't the solution to our problems. government is the problem!
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10773
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:17:11 pm »
Not too many folks here are big fans of the linked brakes. The good news is that with a bit of experience, you can get used to them and they wont be quite the pain in the butt they are now.
75 MT 125 Esinore   73 CB 360T  82 Virago 920  08 Metropolitan II "step through"  2012 C14  Candy Arabian Red

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties that standing armies.
--Thomas Jefferson
 CDA 553                               END THE FED!!

Offline RG

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11308
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:58:07 pm »
The story of the C14:
Twist the throttle and fall in love.
Hit the brakes and consider selling.
If a car acted like this it would be recalled.
It must be the government thinks we are the 'smarter' group that can actually deal with an improperly designed system.
Gee, isn't that wonderful.
Try to remember that if you dump the bike.

2012 C-14, Black

Offline gabriel

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 12:49:34 am »
Not too many folks here are big fans of the linked brakes. The good news is that with a bit of experience, you can get used to them and they wont be quite the pain in the butt they are now.

Well that seems to be the general opinion...GET USED TO IT... LOL...I did adjust the rear brake pedal again today to the maximum UP position for less pedal travel. That seems to be a little better, but overall it looks like Ill just have to get used to them... >:(

Offline gabriel

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:51:13 am »
The story of the C14:
It must be the government thinks we are the 'smarter' group that can actually deal with an improperly designed system.
TRUE TRUE,,. Yeah the throttle.. I like it...

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11886
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 01:03:19 am »
Frankly I can't determine that the linked brakes are causing me any problems, but to me the brakes are excellent compared to other bikes ridden in the past.  I keep mine set on the max setting, two bold brake symbol on dash showing as mentioned in the owners manual for highway riding as Interstate or two up, maximum braking power so to speak. Appears that the brake pads still have good life left even though some 12,000miles from new, but for turns, and obvious stop coming up utilize the transmission/down shifting quite a bit. Each time I ride I find myself trying to find faults with the bike, but overall best two wheel machine I have ever ridden.

Offline ChrisD

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12153
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 12:11:30 pm »
I had some problems when I first rode her.  Then I rode her hard and had even more issues.  Then I took it slow and practiced braking with her to better understand.  Once you get it in your mind how they work and then use them accordingly and feel what they are doing a better appreciation for the linked system  comes about.  Now I like them very much even though it took some time getting used to them.

AMA, ROK, GCE, GTR1400 Owners Group
2012 Candy Arabian Red (Sheba)

Offline jdegraff

• Moped
  • COG#: 11713
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 12:40:10 pm »
I don't use the rear brake at all so I don't get the choppy issue. I will tell you that regardless how the pads look, at 20k I would replace them. New brake pads can make a big difference. EBC HH pads is what I use.

Offline Fritz

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 11:58:36 pm »
I notice a little nose dive when just using the rear brake but that's only when I am braking with my right hand off the bar.  I take that quirk with all the plusses of linked and especially ABS.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 09:17:21 am »
The story of the C14:

Just wait until you cant buy a car that will let you run someone over. ( carjacker/terrorist/kidnapper/rapist dream come true )

I've been waiting for someone to come up with a way to disable the LBS on motorcycles.  I would buy it if it was reasonably priced.

Offline RG

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11308
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 10:11:27 pm »
We ARE the smarter group so adapting, as various responses here indicate, is not that big a deal.
Cages are now considered necessities and therefore the aim is to make them useable by anyone without any particular skill or level of training.
But, back to the C14, there are plenty of linked braking systems out there that do not suffer the Kawasaki's problems. It is truly a poor design controlled more by the accounting department than the engineers.
And yes, if there was a kit to eliminate the linking I would buy it right away.

2012 C-14, Black

Online Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:43 pm »
The linked brakes can be disabled quite easily.  I did it recently on my new-to-me 2011.  Using the cross-over hose and the 2-hose banjo bolt from the right caliper of the earlier non-linked bike, connect the right caliper to the left caliper using that new hose and bolt to the left caliper.  The displaced hose banjo to the right caliper must be capped/blocked and cable tied for security - I tied it to the reflector mount.  I used a 3/8" (10mm) bolt and nylock nut, 2 sealing washers and thread tape on the bolt (just to help seal the thread) and new sealing washers on all loosened joints and flushed/bled the entire system.  Test ride and examine all connections closely for any signs of leakage and ensure that you have a full and firm brake lever and pedal, indicating no air in the system, and that brake performance is as normal as before - except for the linked brake function obviously. If this procedure is followed correctly and done by a competent person, the rider will be happy with the result (I was) and the ABS K-ACT system will be none the wiser (as mine was) and the ABS will function as normal.

However, do the above at your own risk.   ;)   I gleaned this procedure from old posts on this and/or other forums quite some time ago.  I had a 2008 bike and didn't like the linked system on the later model either so I reverted to the earlier system.  I have read that the current/new model's linked brake system is unobtrusive after K 'retuned' it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:31:30 pm by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 11:48:52 pm »
The linked brakes can be disabled quite easily.  I did it recently on my new-to-me 2011.  Using the cross-over hose and the 2-hose banjo bolt from the right caliper of the earlier non-linked bike, connect the right caliper to the left caliper using that new hose and bolt to the left caliper.  The displaced hose banjo to the right caliper must be capped/blocked and cable tied for security - I tied it to the reflector mount.  I used a 3/8" (10mm) bolt and nylock nut, 2 sealing washers and thread tape on the bolt (just to help seal the thread) and new sealing washers on all loosened joints and flushed/bled the entire system.  Test ride and examine all connections closely for any signs of leakage and ensure that you have a full and firm brake lever and pedal, indicating no air in the system, and that brake performance is as normal as before - except for the linked brake function obviously. If this procedure is followed correctly and done by a competent person, the rider will be happy with the result (I was) and the ABS K-ACT system will be none the wiser (as mine was) and the ABS will function as normal.

However, do the above at your own risk.   ;)   I gleaned this procedure from old posts on this and/or other forums quite some time ago.  I had a 2008 bike and didn't like the linked system on the later model either so I reverted to the earlier system.  I have read that the current/new model's linked brake system is unobtrusive after K 'retuned' it.

Interesting idea....

I will say that on my 15' I dont have any 'trouble' with it.

Offline gabriel

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 11:00:58 am »
I have taken some good advice here, and "got used to it". I also adjusted the brake pedal position to nearly its maximum up position, allowing for very little pedal travel. Between these two changes I am actually ALMOST enjoying the brakes. They certainly do stop well during a quick decel. It is the finer points of braking that I find crude but I think its livable now.  :great: :-\

Offline Brant Bandit

• Bicycle
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 03:54:09 pm »
I'm very intrigued by this procedure. Doing this would retain traction control AND abs functionality? That sounds wonderful.

I don't use the back brake except for slow speed moves.

Offline potlikker

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 6359
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 06:29:55 pm »
The story of the C14:
Lots of Harleys are now under recall for Linked/ABS brake issues. Maybe The Government thinks Concours Riders are a smarter group than Harley Riders? :)
Potlikker (aka 305940)  COG # 6359 C.D.A. #0285  Pendleton, SC USA    2011 C-14  www.facebook.com/potlikker454    "I Ride Motorcycles, Not Bandwagons"

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 06:32:50 pm »
The story of the C14:
Lots of Harleys are now under recall for Linked/ABS brake issues. Maybe The Government thinks Concours Riders are a smarter group than Harley Riders? :)

Gotta URL on it ? 

Online Freddy

• Road Bike
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 11:46:02 pm »
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/harley-davidson-motorcycles-investigated-brake-122642530.html

Hmm interesting Harley would publicly say that it may be that someone didnt change the fluid. ::)