Author Topic: 2012 valve inspection  (Read 663 times)

Offline robinl1

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11360
  • Membership Level: Active
2012 valve inspection
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:21:34 pm »
Ok, I know it's been talked a lot on here lately but here it goes. I work at a Kawasaki dealership. My bike has 30,000 miles on it without having the inspection done. My mechanic says as long as it runs good, which it does, there is no need for an inspection. I would be wasting my money. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time. So I guess I'm looking opinions on this.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 2012 valve inspection
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:28:43 pm »
That mechanic is totally wrong and at 30K miles this bike almost certainly needs valves adjusted.  By the time the bike is not running well due to too-tight valve clearances, the damage is done. 

Please don't trust your bike to this idiot!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:32 pm »
That mechanic is totally wrong and at 30K miles this bike almost certainly needs valves adjusted.  By the time the bike is not running well due to too-tight valve clearances, the damage is done. 

Please don't trust your bike to this idiot!

Hi,
       LOL!

When I was a kid in the 70's, working construction.

We would go to the drive in bank on Friday afternoon, and get our checks cashed.

When the girl asked us, if that was all?

We'd all chime in with a, "TOYOTA"! 

You asked for it, you got it, Toyota"!!!

I wonder if anyone remembers that now, but was what I thought of as I read, JWH20's response! ;D

Admittedly I will probably go to 25,000, unless someone along the way talks me out of it!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:46:37 pm by seagiant1 »
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Bud

• Mini Bike
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:03:55 pm »
Not long after buying my C10 the mechanic at the local Suzuki dealer told me to leave the valves alone until I could hear them.  I have crappy ringing ears and don't know what I was supposed to be hearing anyway.  When I did a bunch of work over the winter a couple of years ago, I ended up inspecting AND adjusting the valves.  I opened it up because of what I read on COG and watching SISF's video on why we adjust valves.  Do whatever you wish, but I would suggest checking and most likely adjusting the valves.  You might ask the mechanic what it costs if he is wrong and damage is done.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:13:22 pm »
Not long after buying my C10 the mechanic at the local Suzuki dealer told me to leave the valves alone until I could hear them.  I have crappy ringing ears and don't know what I was supposed to be hearing anyway.  When I did a bunch of work over the winter a couple of years ago, I ended up inspecting AND adjusting the valves.  I opened it up because of what I read on COG and watching SISF's video on why we adjust valves.  Do whatever you wish, but I would suggest checking and most likely adjusting the valves.  You might ask the mechanic what it costs if he is wrong and damage is done.

On most bikes, Suzuki's included, you will not hear too-tight valves and in almost all cases the valves get tighter not looser.  The problem is especially important for the exhaust valves.  If the clearance gets too small the valve does not contact the port well and it can't transfer heat as well as it needs to.  The result can be a burned valve and that's an expensive problem.  Too tight valves can also impede oiling on the cam and that can cause premature wear on the cam, the valve bucket, and along with that, additional tightening.

The valves on a properly adjusted C14 can usually be heard and this is normal. 

Granted it is possible for the clearance to loosen as well as tighten, but there is much less danger here.  The clearance must loosen so much that the shim can come out of its place and that's quite a bit.  In other words it's not a likely scenario.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:37:16 pm »
Inspected valves on my 09  today at 30,000 miles. All but two valves out of spec tight.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:50:41 pm »
Robin1, get the how to videos. You can do the job yourself. I did my valve adjust at 26k and had some out of spec. I adjusted them all to the high end of spec. Take your time and double check your work. Good luck whichever way you go.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline robinl1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:03:27 am »
I'm somewhat mechanical but don't have the tools or a garage to do it in. I'm of the better safe than sorry type so will get it done. Plan on this 1400 going for a long time.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 12:17:56 am »
Reality is most bikes will never see 50k miles and the valves will probably last that long without adjustment.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 12:18:39 am »
It's not difficult, just time consuming and tedious. (Most of your time will be spent getting to the valves)

I usually dedicate a weekend to do mine, 3 days if I need to swap shims.

I pulled it apart at 15k and checked the gaps, they were all in tolerance but a few exhausts were getting tight, but I decided not to tear in further at that time, When I did the 30k I took it to a dealer that I could trust and had them re-set everything to the middle of spec,  I'll hit 45 next year sometime (Haven't had time to ride sadly) I'll check them again.

Taking on to what some have already said (although without the colorful soliloquies :) )  I will advice you that your dealer mechanic is not offering good advice,  but I would say you prob don't need to do it every 15k, every 30k is prob fine but you DO need to at a minimum pull it apart and measure the clearances,   if they are fine then button it up and ride on,  if not,  well...better to do it now and have a long running engine

You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline robinl1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 12:31:02 am »
Your advice is the best. Will get them checked.

Offline Tommy

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 01:27:13 pm »
I did mine at just shy of 30K miles and all were within spec. Granted, I could only measure to 0.0005" but none were in danger of being too tight.
Sounds like I'm just lucky or the previous owner had it done with no record. He had a meticulous record of everything done to the bike and there was no evidence that the cam cover had been off before. 

Offline Nighthawk

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 08:14:33 pm »
Reality is most bikes will never see 50k miles and the valves will probably last that long without adjustment.

This is just not even close to true. sorry bud but, bikes like the c-14 are just getting started at 50k. Mine has 57k and still runs like a top. I will say your statement is fairly accurate when it comes to cruisers though.

As for the OP's story/question: At least check the valves every 30k. Like a few others have stated already, they checked and found at least 2 out of spec. It might seem like a big job for not a lot of change but, with how tight tolerances are on motors these days, especially the c14 motor, you want to stay ahead of things like this. since you want to keep the bike for "a long time" then don't have the mindset of 'I could probably let that maintenance item go longer'.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:40 pm »

This is just not even close to true. sorry bud but, bikes like the c-14 are just getting started at 50k. Mine has 57k and still runs like a top. I will say your statement is fairly accurate when it comes to cruisers though.

As for the OP's story/question: At least check the valves every 30k. Like a few others have stated already, they checked and found at least 2 out of spec. It might seem like a big job for not a lot of change but, with how tight tolerances are on motors these days, especially the c14 motor, you want to stay ahead of things like this. since you want to keep the bike for "a long time" then don't have the mindset of 'I could probably let that maintenance item go longer'.
I was speaking of all bikes in general  :nananana: and sport tourers are a minority group. Yes ST's (and ADVs) get more miles, my 08 is finally broken in at 169,000. But even the mighty C14 gets neglected sometimes, lucky for me. I bought an 09 last April with only 10,000 miles on it.

Offline robinl1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 11:10:18 pm »
Ordered the sensor o-ring from Murphs Kits today. Will get valves checked and the o-ring done at the same time.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 11:18:51 pm »
Ordered the sensor o-ring from Murphs Kits today. Will get valves checked and the o-ring done at the same time.

If you get them checked, they will all be in spec. they always are (sarcasm alert) so tell the person doing the work you want them adjusted, and a shim map when he's done so you know what it started out at and ended at. If the mechanic balks, or doesn't know what you mean, he's the wrong guy for the job. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline robinl1

• Big Wheels
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 12:33:27 am »
Thanks Steve, talked to my service manager and that is what it sounds like they do. By the way, liking the ECU flash so far!

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 03:30:58 am »
Just did my '11 Had it dealer done at 15 k. All in spec (nod to Steve) At 50k (done by me) all but 2 where in. Not a lot out (.0015 or less) Shim map is key. Singing sweet now. Good for another 50k. Gave me the chance to re torque the headers as well (6 of 8 loose. all inside).
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 We gonna dance! Danke Schoen

Offline Robert

• 2010 Neptune candy blue
  • Training Wheels
  • South central
  • COG#: 11740
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 01:37:03 pm »
just going to trade mine in on a new one when time comes :)
Love the change

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 03:01:44 pm »

If you get them checked, they will all be in spec. they always are (sarcasm alert) so tell the person doing the work you want them adjusted, and a shim map when he's done so you know what it started out at and ended at. If the mechanic balks, or doesn't know what you mean, he's the wrong guy for the job. Steve
A big +1 on the shim map proposal to the dealer.  It's the only real self-protection you have short of staying and watching the work be done.

While it IS possible they could check them and they are all in spec and thus not actually pull the shims to get numbers, if they DO claim to have made any changes, they would be making a map anyway. 
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Rev Ryder

• Section Moderator
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »
just going to trade mine in on a new one when time comes :)
Constable, you can't be a chicken now!

Are you ridin' that big motorcsickle any lately?

Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie