Author Topic: 2014 connie abs eco mode  (Read 6006 times)

Offline 2000-RedRocket

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
2014 connie abs eco mode
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:09:14 pm »
so how many of you guys when you put the bike in eco mode feel it literately. like it has a buzz vib in eco mode at steady lite throttle.

Offline motonerd14

• Nerd n' Ziggy
  • Street Cruiser
  • Go West, young man...
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9283
Re: 2014 connie abs eco mode
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:59:35 pm »
How many miles are on your bike? What sort of rev range are you riding in? Many of these bikes seem to have a buzz at about 3.5k in either mode. Mine had it for the first 30k miles and then it gradually faded. Now there's no buzz at all with 46k on the clock.
2012 C14 - 'Ziggy'
2005 KLR650 - 'Klara'

Offline 2000-RedRocket

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:08:22 pm »
the bike is basically new with 650 miles now. when i am doing 55 or around there i feel a difference in how the bike feels. just not knowing why a lean map would make a difference i can feel.

Offline C14lvr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:59:15 pm »
When you place the bike in ECO mode, it switches to a leaner map in the ECU.
There's a 15% reduction in power, per Kawi.

The only differences I've noticed when doing it on my 2011 are;
If I place it in ECO mode when it's cold, it will cause the rpm to increase slightly.
(I chose not to engage it until after the bike has reached normal operating temp.)

A reduction in top speed, and how long it takes to get there, compared to not being in ECO mode.

An increase in fuel economy!

I ride most of the time in ECO mode.
2011 C14 ABS (current bike)
1982 Yamaha XJ1100J (sold)
1979 Yamaha XS11 (3200 original miles)
In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Offline Argyle64

• Training Wheels
    • Argyle Armoring
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 02:14:08 pm »
ECO mode seems pretty cool since I'm always conscious of my mileage. I wish my '08 had that feature.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 06:11:25 pm »
I guess I haven't studied the manual well enough. I didn't know you could " put it out of that mode ".

I just noticed it went ECO when I shifted into top gear and didn't yank the throttle.

You're saying you can leave it OFF ?

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 06:13:35 pm »
My experience on my '11 model was very similar to this.  I did not notice any differences in vibrations though.

When you place the bike in ECO mode, it switches to a leaner map in the ECU.
There's a 15% reduction in power, per Kawi.

The only differences I've noticed when doing it on my 2011 are;
If I place it in ECO mode when it's cold, it will cause the rpm to increase slightly.
(I chose not to engage it until after the bike has reached normal operating temp.)

A reduction in top speed, and how long it takes to get there, compared to not being in ECO mode.

An increase in fuel economy!

I ride most of the time in ECO mode.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 06:15:01 pm »
so how many of you guys when you put the bike in eco mode feel it literately. like it has a buzz vib in eco mode at steady lite throttle.

Haha...I was just testing that out today! I have an 80 mile commute daily and have spent the last year riding my 2012 in ECO mode. I was doing it because I was trying to squeeze every bit of mileage out of the bike between fill-ups! I decided to turn ECO mode off yesterday on my way home and rode to work this morning with it off...I like riding with it OFF much better!

When ECO mode is on I feel the "buzzing" in my hands pretty much wherever I am in the RPM's (I know there are spots when I don't but I'm referring to overall). When I turn ECO mode OFF I feel no buzzing...bike runs so smooth!

When ECO mode is ON and I'm riding highway speeds (80mph-ish) and I get on it to move around or between cars I feel as if the bike is working a little harder to get going and the buzzing gets worse. When I turn ECO mode OFF and get on it to pass cars on the highway the bike responds MUCH better...definite difference in the responsiveness and the bike, again, feels so smooth!

I figure ECO mode will give me approximately 20 more miles of travel before having to fill up and that was important to me for a while but after riding with ECO off I am to the point where 20 miles isn't worth it to me. I really enjoy how smooth the bike runs and having that additional HP! Besides, if you ride at a steady pace (occasional bursts for passing) the
mileage difference between fill-ups won't be a big deal!

ECO OFF for me...at least for a while!

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 06:17:43 pm »
I guess I haven't studied the manual well enough. I didn't know you could " put it out of that mode ".

I just noticed it went ECO when I shifted into top gear and didn't yank the throttle.

JTX, there are 2 "ECO" modes. One is automatic and works when you're in a power range that the bike likes...it will kick into ECO mode and you'll see it pop up on the computer.

The other is activated by holding in the "Mode button" on the back side of your left grip. When hold that in for a couple of seconds it puts the bike in ECO mode and that will stay on until you turn it off...it's this ECO mode that reduces your HP and cause "buzzing" on some bikes, like mine!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 06:19:46 pm »

JTX, there are 2 "ECO" modes. One is automatic and works when you're in a power range that the bike likes...it will kick into ECO mode and you'll see it pop up on the computer.

The other is activated by holding in the "Mode button" on the back side of your left grip. When hold that in for a couple of seconds it puts the bike in ECO mode and that will stay on until you turn it off...it's this ECO mode that reduces your HP and cause "buzzing" on some bikes, like mine!

I had no idea.  I didnt really look at that section.  I'll check it out.

I plan on doing a 4000 mile ride next year, and that'll probably save me some gas money in West TX when I'm droning along the highway trying to get out of TX.  "Sport" mode wont do much good then =D. 

BUt I can definitely see turning that crap off in the twisties when I Want the bike the respond NOW.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 06:24:46 pm »
i do 1000 mile days. Me luvs the ECO mode  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 06:26:17 pm »

This is relevant to this discussion........

What are you getting for range on a take of fuel then in ECO mode? 

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 06:40:07 pm »

I've pushed mine to 230 before filling up but usually around 210 - 220.

In response the other posts about highways and leaving the ECO on...it is great to have on those long stretches of highway and I will use it during those times. The problem I run into is...SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! We don't have "open" highway here! EVERYTHING is congested so I like having Eco OFF so I can use the bike's power to get through the traffic and around the idiots on our freeways!

I just returned from a 5000 mile road trip and was in Wyoming and South Dakota...both states have open highways with little traffic so I was using it then and it was great! A long way from California highways for sure!!!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 06:49:50 pm »

In response the other posts about highways and leaving the ECO on...it is great to have on those long stretches of highway and I will use it during those times. The problem I run into is...SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! We don't have "open" highway here! EVERYTHING is congested so I like having Eco OFF so I can use the bike's power to get through the traffic and around the idiots on our freeways!

I just returned from a 5000 mile road trip and was in Wyoming and South Dakota...both states have open highways with little traffic so I was using it then and it was great! A long way from California highways for sure!!!

So 200 miles and you have what in 'reserve' ?

I'm riding from Texas to Yellowstone next fall.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 06:52:43 pm »

Steve, what seat are you doing 1000 miles in (sorry, had to ask the question)??

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 07:07:42 pm »

200 miles in when I start looking for gas. I figure I have 20-30 miles left in her at that point. Depends on how you're riding and the terrain. BTW, just went through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone on my trip...AWESOME!! I'm ready to do it again!!!

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 07:14:31 pm »

I pushed it beyond 230 miles once. At 234 the bike began sputtering! I was 1 mile from a gas station (1 mile from my house to the station) so I turned around and rode back to the station and was coasting into the station with no power...bike had died 100 ft from the station!!!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 07:16:03 pm »

200 miles in when I start looking for gas. I figure I have 20-30 miles left in her at that point. Depends on how you're riding and the terrain. BTW, just went through Grand Tetons and Yellowstone on my trip...AWESOME!! I'm ready to do it again!!!

So you still have a gallon left?  Or less?

When out in the boonies like that, I wont push my luck, period. So curious what you have left when you fill up.

I drove down through jackson last year on 4 wheels.  Next year I'm doing it on two =)  TWICE.

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 07:25:21 pm »

When out in the boonies like that, I wont push my luck, period. So curious what you have left when you fill up.

I drove down through jackson last year on 4 wheels.  Next year I'm doing it on two =)  TWICE.

Less than a gallon.

When you ride Yellowstone do ALL you can to ride out the Northeast gate and over Beartooth Pass! Do it, you won't be sorry!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 07:48:33 pm »

Less than a gallon.

When you ride Yellowstone do ALL you can to ride out the Northeast gate and over Beartooth Pass! Do it, you won't be sorry!

Yeah I'm coming up from Idaho on the way in, then east on 20 to cody.  Then when I leave cody, up chief joe hiway to 212, into montana and then down into the park from there.

Also going to ride 212 into montana.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 07:52:28 pm »
The bike doesn't have 2 eco modes. It has one eco mode, this is the mode you actually have to switch into. The other referred to indicated by the 3 circles on the dash, is indicating you are riding in a more economical way. The parameters are that you are less that 30% throttle and less than 6000 rpm /  152 mph. So forgetting the mph because it's obvious you're not getting there with less than 30% throttle, the REAL reason the 3 circles show is that you are using less than 30%throttle  / 6000 rpm , and that's it.

Now the ECO mode is more than just a leaner map; the secondary flies are further neutered to reduce cylinder pressure, with another tuning method employed to restore some power and economy. .

OK, maybe I'm saying to much.  :-X

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 08:05:48 pm »
 :iagree: :sign0098: :goodpost:

Nicely and accurately explained.  Thanks Steve. 

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 08:13:02 pm »
The bike doesn't have 2 eco modes. It has one eco mode, this is the mode you actually have to switch into. The other referred to indicated by the 3 circles on the dash, is indicating you are riding in a more economical way. The parameters are that you are less that 30% throttle and less than 6000 rpm /  152 mph. So forgetting the mph because it's obvious you're not getting there with less than 30% throttle, the REAL reason the 3 circles show is that you are using less than 30%throttle  / 6000 rpm , and that's it.

Now the ECO mode is more than just a leaner map; the secondary flies are further neutered to reduce cylinder pressure, with another tuning method employed to restore some power and economy. .

OK, maybe I'm saying to much.  :-X

Steve

I was trying to explain it without "explaining it all"! I understand that the 3 circles aren't a "mode" and that it works depending on how you ride. I was just trying to simplify things...so much for simplification!! :truce:

Offline mtnbandit

• Moped
  • 2011 C-14 Black
  • COG#: 9917
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 02:12:05 am »
  Hey Mike;
  Your explanation worked for me.
mtnbandit

Offline 2000-RedRocket

• Tricycle
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
Okay so now riding in eco mode i got 55 mpg on the dash on a 80 mile high way trip 70 ish mph. I love the mileage.
I'm also glad i am not the only one that noticed the "buzzing " in eco mode. You guys are the best.