Author Topic: 2014 connie abs eco mode  (Read 5914 times)

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: 2014 connie abs eco mode
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 06:12:51 pm »
I took mine out this past week, and put it into ECO mode to test it out briefly. I didnt go more than a couple miles though. 

But Glad I know it's there. It will get used for a few long distance trips.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 03:45:47 am »
I thought that every time you started your bike it was automatically in ECO mode and the 3 circles on the dash showed you were being more economical in your riding. If you wanted out of ECO mode you had to hold the mode button down for a few seconds to transfer to the higher performance map. Is this correct? I also thought that when you cranked the throttle it left ECO mode as long as the RPM's were at a certain level but it dropped back to ECO mode once you backed off the throttle again if you didn't put it in performance  mode originally..  >:(
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 10:18:54 am »
I thought that every time you started your bike it was automatically in ECO mode and the 3 circles on the dash showed you were being more economical in your riding. If you wanted out of ECO mode you had to hold the mode button down for a few seconds to transfer to the higher performance map. Is this correct? I also thought that when you cranked the throttle it left ECO mode as long as the RPM's were at a certain level but it dropped back to ECO mode once you backed off the throttle again if you didn't put it in performance  mode originally..  >:(
Actually, thats backwards.
Bike is normally in NON ECO mode (defaults to this setting every time it is turned off).  ECO mode will lite up the ECO letters on the dash. Eco mode does not apply when over 30% throttle is applied, and supposedly over a certain MPH setting.
The three circles are only showing that you are riding more efficiently when they are lit.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 11:54:49 am »
ECO mode on

Eco mode OFF

Offline cyclerosis

• Tricycle
  • The Red Ones Are The Heaviest
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 12:50:49 pm »
On long stretches of highway, in the 75 to 80 mph range, I've calculated 'about' a 25% increase in efficiency from gas station to gas station while in ECO mode. On commutes to and from work using standard roads at speeds of 40 to 45 mph, I've not seen any benefit to using ECO mode. On a recent trip to Tennessee from West Virginia, I was getting in the low 50's mpg range in ECO mode, and about 42 mpg in standard mode. On my daily commute to work, I get 39 to 41 mpg regardless of mode.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 10:35:04 pm »
Dang it....I just got my bike a short time ago and thought that I was going to be able to get some better performance out of it by turning on the sport mode....turns out I was in the sport mode already. I have actually been disappointed with the performance of this bike in stock trim. It is smooth all the way up to 100 mph but after reading reviews and opinions on these bikes I was expecting more. In my opinion it is lacking "punch in the face" type performance like some bikes I have ridden and I miss the throttle response I had in my last Supermoto bike which was a well setup Beta 525 with 50HP @ 250 Lbs. I guess it is a different type of bike with a totally different power band and use but I believe a true performance bike should leave you trembling after a full power on run and this bike doesn't until I look at the speedometer. Just saying. Thanks for your help you guys. I'm probably gonna have to consider pipe mods and a Guhl reflash before long and I wasn't thinking that when I bought this bike. Its fun to knock down miles though and my new Baldwin seat is to be delivered tomorrow so that will keep me happy for a while.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 10:41:35 pm »
Dang it....I just got my bike a short time ago and thought that I was going to be able to get some better performance out of it by turning on the sport mode....turns out I was in the sport mode already. I have actually been disappointed with the performance of this bike in stock trim. It is smooth all the way up to 100 mph but after reading reviews and opinions on these bikes I was expecting more. In my opinion it is lacking "punch in the face" type performance like some bikes I have ridden and I miss the throttle response I had in my last Supermoto bike which was a well setup Beta 525 with 50HP @ 250 Lbs. I guess it is a different type of bike with a totally different power band and use but I believe a true performance bike should leave you trembling after a full power on run and this bike doesn't until I look at the speedometer. Just saying. Thanks for your help you guys. I'm probably gonna have to consider pipe mods and a Guhl reflash before long and I wasn't thinking that when I bought this bike. Its fun to knock down miles though and my new Baldwin seat is to be delivered tomorrow so that will keep me happy for a while.

The C14 is a bit of a detuned ZX14 motor ( internals )  so you are not going to get performance out of a new pipe mod, that most will notice considering what this bike was made for.  Not sure what you are comparing it to. But maybe you should have read a bit more.  I came off an R1, and I was not expecting R1 acceleration or handling in any shape or form.

And remember the C14 is not a LIGHT motorcycle to start with, so your power to weight ratio is a factor.

If you are looking for sportbike performance, you are in the wrong motorcycle category.  All the Sport/touring bikes are pretty close to the same specs these days. Not a whole lot of variation.  But from my recollection in the game, the C14 is among the better in the CC of it's engine.

But anyways, I digress as we shouldn't hiijack the thread from the OP.  You should create another thread for that debate.

The ECO mode cuts power from the 'normal' non-eco mode significantly increasing MPG, which is a great idea on the part of KAW that I didnt know about in this thread, or another one recently.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2015, 12:26:52 am »
Agreed...no hijack here just learned about ECO mode from this post and was glad to gather info about it. I think its a great idea for sure. I guess my rub is towards the writers and testers that maybe exagerate the performance of these bikes. I have ridden R1's and and you are right....I was expecting closer to that than I got as far as performance but this is a great bike and I will work with it and remember it is a different class of mororcycle. Ride on!!!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 12:33:12 am »
Agreed...no hijack here just learned about ECO mode from this post and was glad to gather info about it. I think its a great idea for sure. I guess my rub is towards the writers and testers that maybe exagerate the performance of these bikes. I have ridden R1's and and you are right....I was expecting closer to that than I got as far as performance but this is a great bike and I will work with it and remember it is a different class of mororcycle. Ride on!!!

The writers were accurate in their notation of the C14 engine, considering its weight.  It goes like hell Man.  Its still faster than any car on the road for the most part. You'll be fine. :great:

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 12:42:23 am »
Riding from Indiana to the Pacific last fall I used eco mode most of the time, thought it was for fuel savings, not extending fuel stops.  Dad rose a '99 Road King and his range was significantly less than mine.

At one point my average was 49.8 or 49.9.  Never did tap into the 50 mpg average.  Used to turn in on every time.  I've stopped.

FWIW, in ECO mode, winding out 1st and popping second - the front doesn't come up.  Though I've heard it will with ECO off!  :great:
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline Jerr

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11834
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2015, 12:00:26 am »
I just rode 230 miles on ECO mode. 65-70 steady mph, no headwind, no passing. Took 4.5 gallons when I filled it. This was on no ethanol premium. I get about 10% less miles per gallon on 10% etanaol premium. The low fuel warning was on for the last 12 miles.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2015, 12:03:04 am »
I just rode 230 miles on ECO mode. 65-70 steady mph, no headwind, no passing. Took 4.5 gallons when I filled it. This was on no ethanol premium. I get about 10% less miles per gallon on 10% etanaol premium. The low fuel warning was on for the last 12 miles.

Well thats a very informative first post!

Nice to see I can push it like that if I need to.

I have a several thousand mile trip planned for next fall and I'm doing 150 mile fuel stops just to be safe.  And, I wont always be on ECO mode in the twisties.