Author Topic: 5 bars in a tailwind  (Read 341 times)

Offline Mark D

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
5 bars in a tailwind
« on: August 01, 2018, 09:40:41 am »
I've had my 09 C14 for 5 trouble free years. Maintain the crap out of it and then some. For the first time ever my temp went to 5 bars on an 85 degree day in traffic with a slight tailwind. An odd ball situation where the airflow with fans running is compromised? My former 1800 Wing had the dreaded parade mode overheat on occasion. A flaw for sure. But on the C14 I wasn't anticipating something like this happening. Been fine ever since. Fans spool up at 4 bars. Was just a little worried and almost shut her down! Do I worry about the 5 bar issue. Had no overheat warning come up on display that day or ever.

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: 5 bars in a tailwind
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 01:31:15 pm »
When is the last time you flushed the coolant? If you’re in a hot climate a 50/50 mix of coolant and water might be too much coolant. Switch out to either straight engine ice or look up the coolant cocktail from Steve In Sunny Florida. 

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7914
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 04:20:41 pm »
That is a unique situation.  Since the red warning light did not come on, I would not worry.  If it did not puke coolant, I would not worry.  A good gauge will warn you well before damage so you can react before damage. 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:28:08 pm »
I recently also experienced a tail wind and ran pretty hard to get enough air through the radiator. When I was headed into the wind the bike ran 2 bars. When U headed back home I had a strong tail wind. I made to  4 bars briefly and picked up my forward speed and temp went to 3 bars for the rest of the ride until I got to town. The fans were signing as I pulled into my drive way. The day was warm enough I was sweating in my neo tech and humidity is pretty low here in the high dessert.     
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki