Author Topic: A big 14 Inch not big enough?  (Read 1222 times)

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
A big 14 Inch not big enough?
« on: September 12, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »
I am getting a Delkevic Exhaust but not sure which one.  Does anyone know of any issues with using the 14" Oval?  It is shorter and the exhaust will come out under the bag.  Not sure if there is heat issues with that and should go to 18".  Search just had to many results to find my answer.
Thanks
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • COG#: 7055
Re: A big 14 Inch not big enough?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:17:51 pm »
I have three Delkevic cans and all of them are 18". I think anything shorter would be too loud for most tastes. If you take the baffle out out of the 18" can it still has a great tone. And if you leave the baffle in be sure to do my Delkevic baffle mod.  Also consider the carbon fiber version they look great.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:48:24 pm by Jim Snyder »
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:01:47 pm »
The CFs do not retain heat so do not radiate to the bottom of the bag.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:33:38 pm »
But the hot exhaust gas coming out, mid bag, does produce undesirable heat...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »

And thats why I recommend the 18".
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Deltonian

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:45:57 pm »
I too pondered the same question before I got the 18" cf.  I just erred on the side of caution because I did read somewhere on the interweb that the heat expelled from the outlet could slightly effect the back corner of the bag/pannier...wish I could find where I read that now.. I would think sitting at idle on a calm day would allow the most heat transfer.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:11:01 pm »
Hi,
       Yep!

Big 18" CF...... :great: >:D >:D >:D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:04 pm »
Hi,
       Yep!

Big 18" CF...... :great: >:D >:D >:D

Sea, no matter what the topic you have the most awesome pictures of anyone on the planet !!!

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:40:18 am »
I have three Delkevic cans and all of them are 18". I think anything shorter would be too loud for most tastes. If you take the baffle out out of the 18" can it still has a great tone. And if you leave the baffle in be sure to do my Delkevic baffle mod.  Also consider the carbon fiber version they look great.

What is your baffle mod and why?

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Training Wheels
  • Retired fireman and 911 Dispatcher, Vietnam Vet
  • COG#: 11782
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 04:20:44 pm »
Several 1000 miles on the short one. No heat issues at all in any weather (hot) conditions.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »
A happy fan of the 17" Tri-Oval...the most expensive Delkevic tho :truce:
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 01:22:23 am »

What is your baffle mod and why?

Drilling a 5/8" to 3/4" hole in the front of the front cone section of the baffle. If they still make the baffle with the solid cone on the front it kills top end due to too much restriction.

Offline OKC14

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 11:58:03 am »
I have the 9 inch Delkevic carbon can.  Zero heat issues with bags on. You'll be fine with the 14.  The one model that does have heat problems is the 8 inch shorty, the exhaust exit is angled directly at the bottom of the right side bag with that one.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 04:24:50 pm »

Simple great benefit warm snacks go in the right hand bag and ice and cool beverage go in the left side...  :))
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
Just know if you're running the noise reducer in you're KILLING the power, and totally screwing up and tuning improvements you've made. My c-10 lost 10hp running the delk restrictor, and because of the increased displacement of 1352cc's, it would be even WORSE on you c-14.

Heck, why not just pull a coil off a sparkplug... it'll kill power, and you won't have to pay for it to do so.

Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 12:05:25 am »
Just know if you're running the noise reducer in you're KILLING the power, and totally screwing up and tuning improvements you've made. My c-10 lost 10hp running the delk restrictor, and because of the increased displacement of 1352cc's, it would be even WORSE on you c-14.

Heck, why not just pull a coil off a sparkplug... it'll kill power, and you won't have to pay for it to do so.

Steve

Thats what I discovered early on with the Delkevic baffles thats why I came up with the baffle mod originally and it worked. 

Offline Hiddenmickey

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12234
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 01:11:06 pm »

Steve

I'm sorry I just don't understand.  With everything else being equal would running the noise reducer in, on the aftermarket exhaust, restrict power more than running the stock exhaust can?  I'm not trying to argue, just learn.  I have no mechanical knowledge or skill to contribute.  Nor am I trying to hijack this thread.  I have the Staintune exhaust with the reducer in.  I notice no difference in power with the reducer in or out.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 01:52:54 pm »
Noise reducers on a straight through mufflers restricting noise by restricting flow. In the stock muffler, the sound waves are reversed to "bang into" each other and cancel each other out. That is pure science, but it works... noise can be separated from flow through baffling and rerouting the air flow. Straight through mufflers have no such ability to do so. The fact that you can't feel a power loss either means you never turn the throttle enough to start creating increased backpressure, or else maybe your butt dyno isn't calibrated.  ;) Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 01:10:49 am »

Steve

I'm sorry I just don't understand.  With everything else being equal would running the noise reducer in, on the aftermarket exhaust, restrict power more than running the stock exhaust can?  I'm not trying to argue, just learn.  I have no mechanical knowledge or skill to contribute.  Nor am I trying to hijack this thread.  I have the Staintune exhaust with the reducer in.  I notice no difference in power with the reducer in or out.
Some noise reducers or baffles have have less restriction than others. The Delkevic baffle however has a solid nose cone design that forces a lot of the flow to flare up into the muffler packing. This is the reason I drill a 3/4" hole in the front of my baffles or have the entire nose cone cut off.

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 06:32:34 pm »
I have an 18" carbon Delc. You are talking about heat, and I can tell you even with the 18" at highway speed it gets hot! Just last year, I was taking a bunch of cupcakes to a party, had them in the right bag...the frosting melted off all of them. Didn't have that issue with the stock bazooka.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Hiddenmickey

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12234
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 01:34:37 pm »
Noise reducers on a straight through mufflers restricting noise by restricting flow. In the stock muffler, the sound waves are reversed to "bang into" each other and cancel each other out. That is pure science, but it works... noise can be separated from flow through baffling and rerouting the air flow. Straight through mufflers have no such ability to do so. The fact that you can't feel a power loss either means you never turn the throttle enough to start creating increased backpressure, or else maybe your butt dyno isn't calibrated.  ;) Steve

Follow up:  I removed the noise reducer from my Staintune muffler.  (It is a straight-through, smaller diameter pipe that fits in the end of the muffler) I do notice a change.  It is now louder and much more annoying, and the herkyjerky throttle response is cut in half making it much more rideable.  Usually when riding, I never seem to take the bike over 6K rpm.  Most of my riding seems to be below 5k rpm. For what I'm doing and where I'm going it seems appropriate.  Maybe that's not enough to notice any increase in power.  Or I am mistaking the increase in power for a less grabby throttle.  My butt dyno was calibrated more to BMW's (R bikes) and KZ1000's, and may need to be reflashed. 

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 04:11:15 pm »
You have a Staintune Muffler on a C-14??

Seems that there is a simple solution.

When riding normally, leave the baffle in.
When your out with the boy's and feel more like a Hooligan,,, remove it and do some recalibration..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I think Bob needs to either change the title of this discussion or admit he's lying / bragging..
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:00 pm »
You have a Staintune Muffler on a C-14??

Seems that there is a simple solution.

When riding normally, leave the baffle in.
When your out with the boy's and feel more like a Hooligan,,, remove it and do some recalibration..

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I think Bob needs to either change the title of this discussion or admit he's lying / bragging..

That's what she said!   :-[
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107