Author Topic: Proposal for a new and improved way of de linking the rear to front brake link  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Hey Fred, do you have an update on how you went with this?   :beerchug:
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Illo

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
I now have all the parts, including the correct plug, to de-link the rear to front brake.  I need somebody in SW Ontario who can do the installation and bleed the air properly.  I have a bad back and don't have proper tools to do any work on the bike myself.  Of course I will happily pay for the work.  I live in Festival City, Ontario.
2012 Concours

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
I now have all the parts, including the correct plug, to de-link the rear to front brake.
What are the Part Numbers and other details about these two items and where can someone get these?
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Illo

• Tricycle
I now have all the parts, including the correct plug, to de-link the rear to front brake.
What are the Part Numbers and other details about these two items and where can someone get these?

I found these at a local auto parts store.  I also found them on-line at other major industrial distributors.  Pl's see the picture and the links below:

https://www.motioncanada.ca/productDetail.jsp?sku=00304943

https://www.motioncanada.ca/productDetail.jsp?sku=00333499

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/WH_1443

https://www.applied.com/c-brands/c-eaton-corp/c-weatherhead/1443/Hydraulic-Brake-Fitting/p/101746589

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 02:47:52 pm by Illo »
2012 Concours

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
Thanks!!!!!
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
  • Membership Level: Active
Ive been so busy as of lately i have missed post.
I have been researching this for a year now,,,, i hate the linked brakes and will be doing my bike this weekend finally!
I will add to this post as well as start my own.
Look for up dates,,, i may make extra parts to help others.
Off to the shop to make some $$$$ to pay for Bike parts!  :motonoises: :) :motonoises: ;)
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Illo

• Tricycle
I'm happy to report that my delinking mod was done today.  I bought the parts and had Platinum Powersports in Blue Water (Clinton), Ontario, Canada.  I'm very, very happy I did it. 
2012 Concours

Offline Staylo

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12548
I'm happy to report that my delinking mod was done today.  I bought the parts and had Platinum Powersports in Blue Water (Clinton), Ontario, Canada.  I'm very, very happy I did it.
I don’t see why there would be any issues, but update us after you’ve put some miles on and let us know how it’s working.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Tundra

• 2012 Candy Arabian Red
  • Scooter
  • "SPORT" tourer
  • COG#: 12916
Please keep us updated....I absolutely hate my linked brakes although love the motorcycle. I would consider this if there no ill side effects. Congratulations on your determination to fix it.

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike

Offline Illo

• Tricycle
The only side effect is that the rear brake becomes a little weaker.  Major benefit is that I can now gently and confidently touch the read brake pedal while in the middle of a turn.  Prior to delinking, if I used the rear pedal in a turn, the rear disk would want to help leaning more and the front disk wanted to straighten the bike.  That was a conflict.  Now the rear brake can be used in a turn without fear and it would help to lean the bike more to get out of danger if going too fast in a turn.
2012 Concours

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
WHY would anyone want to touch the rear brake in the middle of a turn, I guess that's why I have NO PROBLEM with these brakes, I only use the front unless coming to the end of a stop, fantastic brakes.
Now back to screwing your bike up. 
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
Ignorance is bliss.   :motonoises:

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
The only side effect is that the rear brake becomes a little weaker.  Major benefit is that I can now gently and confidently touch the read brake pedal while in the middle of a turn.  Prior to delinking, if I used the rear pedal in a turn, the rear disk would want to help leaning more and the front disk wanted to straighten the bike.  That was a conflict.  Now the rear brake can be used in a turn without fear and it would help to lean the bike more to get out of danger if going too fast in a turn.
You might not have a good understanding of trail braking.  HTH :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2hRMpWEz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1rlQ0NmbWs
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
WHY would anyone want to touch the rear brake in the middle of a turn, I guess that's why I have NO PROBLEM with these brakes, I only use the front unless coming to the end of a stop, fantastic brakes.

Um, trail braking...
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
It's the standard line on '08-'09 bikes..., you bleed the furthest point (left caliper) first... pushing the air to and out of it.... then bleed the right one...
Or, with the left caliper disconnected from the mounts, and a wood block in place between the pads, and the caliper raised higher than the right side caliper mounted on the bike, pick which you want to bleed first... and do them both... bubbles rise...hydraulic pressure pushes them...to the bleeder.

That's an excellent trick, to raise the calipers.  That should definitely do it.  Now can you please tell me if having a vacuum pump is necessary for getting the air out?  I've never seen it done.  But in the earlier Randy N posts, he always referred to a vacuum pump and a hose that sucked oil from a can of oil.  I didn't quite understand what he was doing.

if you are well versed in bleeding brakes, (i.e., done them a zillion times, and have the routine down pat), you don't need a vac to accomplish it... just time, fluid, and care.

that said, everyone likes the "shortcut", as many do not know the difference between "gently breaking the bleeder open" and "opening it up", so it become an exercise to "pressurize/crack/close/repeat" bleeders correctly...
Randy N was having "issues" after disconnecting, and plugging a line, that had air in it, and thus why he was getting "error code" readings... like I kinda mentioned about how this system is a bit "more than a block"... the electronics sensed, and attempted to actuate pumping to accommodate the differential pressure being sensed in the internal valving... on the ABS unit.  All this "stuff" actively feed back into the ECU's, and when it does... well... you get what you get.
I'll also caution you on "following Randy N" without using discretion, he had "an agenda" he wanted to accomplish, and his "experiment", was not perfect...
If you go to his profile, and read ALL of the posts he made, and specifically those about this brake mod thing.. you will find it was not the "perfect" solution, as he preferred to be able to "lock up" his rear brakes when so desired... thus, his mods de-link the front to back "true ABS", and result in ABS on front ONLY...
I've had the rear's kick in on my '08, and it WAS beneficial, I've also had the fronts kick in, again, fine, and I've had BOTH kick in, mind you I do not have linked brakes, just ABS, and I find that any loss of any separate function, is a loss that could have severe outcome when called upon...
I also have a C10, normal brakes, and a '78 Kz1000, again, old style brakes... all are different, but I know what each one will do, when I call upon them in a panic stop.
Well hello there im am now in the process of doing this a bit different than Randy as well. I am using a Galfer Braided line kit as well as making a a few hard lines. As far as i can tell now, in theory, and ill know by this weekend, the rear ABS will still work, the Rear line to the front on the ABS pump will be blocked off. The 2 front line will be linked to together wit a T fitting. I have been reading Randys post for months now, as well as doing vast research on this. and i think i have it figured out. Vast pics will be coming this week, as well as details
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
When "trail braking" you are on your brake from the entry of the turn until somewhere near (or past) the apex. It's called "trail braking" because you are slowly releasing the brake pressure, i.e. "trailing off" the brakes.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

If you can't be a good example; be a WARNING!

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
You might not have a good understanding of trail braking.

You're probably right but there are many who have complained long and hard about the over-active link to the front.  That's why Kaw 'recalibrated' the link about 4 years ago - no complaints from owners of the newer bikes.  Doing the de-link makes the brakes behave like the earlier non-linked model thereby enabling riders to use the rear brake in a bend and not put the bike off line.  Sure, we may be second-rate riders, but it works vey much better for us.    :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:24:45 am by Freddy »

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
By times there are a few times when I have trailed off the front brakes in a turn that a decreasing radius sneaks up on me. Lean angle, speed, surface conditions are allready asking that front tire to do lots. It is nice to be able to drag the rear brake just a bit not asking the front to do more. Easy to do on the 09 but the 18 is not as smooth a transition, too little or too much.

When I reach this point it's time to dial it back and reassess my riding.

Offline HeavyRotation

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
It's a fix, not a detriment. I don't know any good riders who don't use all the controls on their motorcycles situationally as needed. I rode a linked model and it was so unsafe for my riding style that I bought an 09 without any abs. Maybe you just don't play Street Rossi as much as some do.  ;D
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
Well hello there I am now in the process of doing this a bit different than Randy as well. I am using a Galfer Braided line kit as well as making a a few hard lines. As far as i can tell now, in theory, and ill know by this weekend, the rear ABS will still work, the Rear line to the front on the ABS pump will be blocked off. The 2 front line will be linked to together wit a T fitting. I have been reading Randys post for months now, as well as doing vast research on this. and i think i have it figured out. Vast pics will be coming this week, as well as details

:popcorn:

He musta had  problems with it.

Offline Paul B

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12855
Thanks for your work on this issue.  Being able to scrub a little speed without having the front actuated and making the front dive while trying to stand up would make this the perfect (although heavy) machine IMO.  Yes, I know what trail braking is, but sometimes a little rear pressure is just what is needed.  Heck, even coming to a stop I like to use the rear lightly and the damn front kicks in unexpectedly.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
Any long term reports on this? Illo, hows it been working

Offline Illo

• Tricycle
Any long term reports on this? Illo, hows it been working

I rode about 5000 miles with the de-linked brakes and couldn't be more happy.  I provided the parts to a mechanic  did it for me.
2012 Concours