Author Topic: ABS failure due to fluid  (Read 17756 times)

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 788
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: ABS failure due to fluid
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2017, 01:45:31 pm »
I would suspect that there are enough cars that sit that if there were a problem, it would be quite apparent.  No numbers to back this up, just a guess.

None of this should have been any surprise to Kawasaki, but than again, they did design the C10 fuel system! ;)
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2017, 07:15:49 pm »
My feeling is that a bike ABS does not get activated much.  If you are on brakes enough to set off the pump then it is a life threatening situation and we just don't like that much so avoid it.  Now in my car I slide all the time just for fun and to see if the system is working.   

I also found that a brake bleed as much as I use to do on the C10 was not nearly enough to clear the ABS system on the C14.  Put an entire can through each system, front and back, two cans.   As I was doing my new to me 50k bike the back seemed to get clean and I may have stopped but as I kept going it got nasty whitish again took another half can to clear it.   That white gunk is water and will cause corrosion.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2017, 07:18:02 pm »
My feeling is that a bike ABS does not get activated much.  If you are on brakes enough to set off the pump then it is a life threatening situation and we just don't like that much so avoid it.  Now in my car I slide all the time just for fun and to see if the system is working.   

I also found that a brake bleed as much as I use to do on the C10 was not nearly enough to clear the ABS system on the C14.  Put an entire can through each system, front and back, two cans.   As I was doing my new to me 50k bike the back seemed to get clean and I may have stopped but as I kept going it got nasty whitish again took another half can to clear it.   That white gunk is water and will cause corrosion.

Actually it get activated more than you think.  The LINKED BRAKING on the C14 uses the ABS pump top accomplish it's magic (or dirty work depending on what you think of it) and so it gets activated almost every time you engage the brakes.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2017, 10:37:51 pm »
I'm not aware of the same failure on the linked brakes model but here's some interesting information on the gen 1 unit which others may also know of.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20676.120

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=21700.15
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:14:29 am by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2017, 11:52:16 pm »
See reply #1 about the accumulator for the answer concerning 'complete flush.'

snip>

Some bikes, including Triumph and Can-Am Spyder, allow the ABS unit to be flushed by using the 'dealer software' to cycle the system when working on it.

Kawasaki should enable this.  The Triumph 1050 Sprint & Tiger use the same ABS unit (with different calibration) as the gen 1 ZG1400.  I've not seen reports of similar failures on them in the 9 years I've been involveded with them.

https://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/BrakeBleed.pdf
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?