Author Topic: Actual mileage versus dash indicated  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Busaboyz

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Actual mileage versus dash indicated
« on: July 02, 2018, 01:50:16 pm »
I'm at least the 3rd owner of my 08 C14. It has 30K miles. Bike has stock pipe but it may have had an aftermarket at some point in it's life. The actual mileage is way lower than the indicated. I probably average 22 MPG and indicated is closer to 31 MPG. Pretty much only zip around town. Don't see any Dynojet ...etc. Is there any easy way to tell if the ECU has a "hot" tune? 

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Actual mileage versus dash indicated
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 05:20:01 pm »
Try resetting your indicator (average and current mpg).  While the indicator displays average (current) mpg, Push the upper button for 2 seconds
and the mileage resets to “– –. –”.  The display shows the mpg (average/current) since the last time reset.

Maybe you've already done it...and not knowing how she's running, I'd do some simple stuff while I was checking it out.  Look at your air filter, etc...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:27:03 pm by AmphibSailor »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 08:02:58 pm »
yep... them 'lectric fuel consumption thing a ma bobs loose a bit of "reliability" in terms of "daily changes" unless they are zero'd out frequently. After 500 miles, or even less some times, they never seem to move, as it's a "cumulative" avereage... based on max/min.
They are very accurate tho, when zero'd, for the first 100 mile. or maybe 2 tanks of fuel.
I zero my MPG, and also my trip meter odometer, every other tank full ( well, I zero the ODO every tank..) as it gives me a 'secondary' idea of when I'm gonna need fuel, much better than the onboard "assumption figure shown".
Prepare for the shock tho, if you zero the MPG, and spend the day HONKING on it hard, you will see the consumption... and it is a bit alarming, especially when you are in the "active MPG' mode... but, if you zero it, and hit a freeway, and roll a couple hours at 70 mph, you will see what that ends up as, which feels much more comfy on the wallet...
 :rotflmao:
I'll also note, I've played around watching the current avg MPG's running same roads in 6th gear, and then in 5th gear, at like 60 mph, and also lower (3rd gear v.s. 4th) at slower 30-40 MPH speeds, and find better efficiency on fuel, actually comes from using a gear lower, and keeping the bike in the 4k rpm zone, instead of plodding along in a tall gear at 2800-3k rpm.
it  tells a lot on what the bike "likes" :great: :great: :motonoises:

one thing for certain tho, as Amphib touched on, is this bike LOVES a new airfilter, and always shows how much when you put a new one in, like 4-8 or more, mpg... which is substantial, like a 10% or more improvement across the board.
My '08 doesn't have ECO mode, and when I start hitting 39-40 mpg, stuffing an OEM filter in immediately brings me back to the 48-50 mpg zone on a freeway trip. (even 2 up, pulling my H/F trailer behind...)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:09:07 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Busaboyz

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:28:20 pm »
At approx 100 miles I usually hit "E". I "reset" mileage after every fill up. Indicated mileage never matches calculated. I don't know how the ECU calculates MPG. The method used on my gen 1 Busa was more accurate.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:08 pm »
At approx 100 miles I usually hit "E". I "reset" mileage after every fill up. Indicated mileage never matches calculated. I don't know how the ECU calculates MPG. The method used on my gen 1 Busa was more accurate.

when you hit "E" how many gallons are you adding to top up???

thats not a normal condition, I hit "E", ( warning light, meaning I have about a gallon left/40 miles) at around 220 miles.
The ECU computes milage per gallon using fuel squirts/injector cycles vs. normal injector function, and relates that back to create the data.
I think it's time for a valve inspection, air filter, and a TB synch inspection.

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 01:25:17 pm »
I used to get great mileage on my '08, usually high thirties to low forties especially on a trip, but after I had my valves adjusted my mileage went down and has stayed there. Now I get low to mid thirties, which still isn't too bad, but I was hoping that there would be no changes to the gas mileage just because I had some normal maintenance done.  :(
Oh, and my trip computer was and still is very optimistic. It always says I'm doing better than I am.

Offline Busaboyz

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 04:47:28 pm »

when you hit "E" how many gallons are you adding to top up???

thats not a normal condition, I hit "E", ( warning light, meaning I have about a gallon left/40 miles) at around 220 miles.
The ECU computes milage per gallon using fuel squirts/injector cycles vs. normal injector function, and relates that back to create the data.
I think it's time for a valve inspection, air filter, and a TB synch inspection.

I calculate the mileage based on the amount of fuel I add to fill tank. As far as the valves, I have no clue when they were done last. The prior owner only had the bike for less than 2K miles and he didn't know the history. Will lots of valve lash lower mileage that much? I asked my buddy who owns a local  shop as well as a C14 about the start up mechanical noises and he said it was normal. I will look at the air filter when I get a chance. My last rear tire Pilot 2, only lasted 2500 miles so I am a bit aggressive with the throttle...

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 05:18:04 pm »
My last rear tire Pilot 2, only lasted 2500 miles so I am a bit aggressive with the throttle...

That will explain the lousy gas mileage. 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Busaboyz

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 08:27:00 pm »
My last rear tire Pilot 2, only lasted 2500 miles so I am a bit aggressive with the throttle...

That will explain the lousy gas mileage.

Doesn't explain why the indicated is off though. My other vehicles come close to calculated even with aggressive driving. I don't really have a problem with the poor mileage. Just don't get why such a big error. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 11:12:10 pm »
did you re set the MPG/ fuel consumption gage thing as we noted??
that may explain it, as you didn't mention it yet, and are still comparing gage(mpg) to calculated miles traveled per gallon used...

clear those stored areas, and then ride, and re check...
see below attachment...

dam, file to big, had to resave, and break up...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 11:13:10 pm »
part 2 of 3

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:16:09 pm »
last page

Offline Busaboyz

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 03:37:26 pm »
did you re set the MPG/ fuel consumption gage thing as we noted??
that may explain it, as you didn't mention it yet, and are still comparing gage(mpg) to calculated miles traveled per gallon used...

Hmmmm, I only reset the Trip odometer that I use to calculate mileage. I guess I will try what you say to see if the calculated and indicated agree. Either way I average about 22-25 MPG around town...

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 04:32:00 pm »
Reset it but be patient it will take some time for it to gather enough information to give a good average. Don't  reset it with every fill up and don't  expect it to ever be correct hand calculation is still the only way to know for sure.  If you reset it when you change something or do some maintenance and give it at least 4 tanks of fuel to settle out it is a great comparison tool to see the effects of what you did had much like how to use a dyno.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 06:59:53 pm »
Reset it but be patient it will take some time for it to gather enough information to give a good average. Don't  reset it with every fill up and don't  expect it to ever be correct hand calculation is still the only way to know for sure.  If you reset it when you change something or do some maintenance and give it at least 4 tanks of fuel to settle out it is a great comparison tool to see the effects of what you did had much like how to use a dyno.

it seems you missed my commentary on what transpires as miles accumulate. Running 4 tanks of fuel thru,(approx 800 miles?) and then thinking that observed value at that point will depict anything, or change even 1-2 mpg from there, will not occur. IMHO if you want realistic representation, clear it every other tank, I clear mine every tank when trying to closely monitor what takes place with regard to modifications I may make. And even then, recording actual fuel added vs. miles traveled, is the only accurate means. The cumulative "average" becomes very stabil right around 200 miles, and seldom changes past that point, even when riding "excessivly spirited" after that point.
The "current" setting always depicts "real time consumption", while the "average" setting, after multi tanks without being reset, will result in Highly erroneous "range" expectations, as "range" is computed based on "average" stored, not "current" data.

and as they say...YMMV... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 07:13:01 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Turtle

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 07:41:32 pm »

The "current" setting always depicts "real time consumption", while the "average" setting, after multi tanks without being reset, will result in Highly erroneous "range" expectations, as "range" is computed based on "average" stored, not "current" data.

Are you sure about that? I can be running down the road at 80+ and see the range display 100 miles, slow down in traffic to 35-40mph,  and the range will increase to 160-170 miles.

Offline Turtle

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »
I'll also add that my trip meters have not been reset in about 15k miles.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 07:46:36 pm »
pretty sure.... :??:

what year?

I have an '08, but that shouldn't matter..  :truce:

dammit... now I have to go for a ride... :rotflmao:

trip meter has no bearing on any of that tho... I just use it as a "miles to go thing" and a "filled it up/wrote down miles thing"
 :great:

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 09:59:06 pm »
I take on board mpg meter more as a guideline rather than true indicator of actual mpg.
Imho, the best way to find out true mpg is to calculate fuel filled vs miles traveled.
If there is obvious mpg drop observed during min 3 fuel fills, then there is a problem.
Always take in account  riding style which always affects mpg.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:02:07 pm by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 10:25:19 pm »

what year?

trip meter has no bearing on any of that tho... I just use it as a "miles to go thing" and a "filled it up/wrote down miles thing"
Haha now you're having to think about it aren't you.  I actually drew my conclusion from my experience with my Duramax but it seems to be with the bike as well. Mine is a 2016 I purposely  did not reset the Avg. mpg after installing Steve's Mt. Rider flash. At the time the flash was installed it had 1,100 miles on the clock and Avg. mileage said 36 mpg that mileage didn't start to change for the first few hundred miles and I believe was slow to change because the change had to off set 1,100 miles of info. Now the bike has 6,605 miles on it and the Avg. mileage says 41.8 and it is still getting better. Of course that number may also have been slow to change after the flash because I was a bit giddy and rode harder than pre flash and then there is the fact that the bike was breaking in and mileage was bound to improve for that reason as well but never the less this seems to back up my thinking.  I will reset the mileage now and post the results over the next few fill ups. I will also hand calculate the mileage and report that as well.
BTW I never cared about the mileage before as compared with my Duramax mileage on the bike is a dream  :great:

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2018, 10:41:26 pm »
Unrelated to this mpg conundrum. When I had my Sx4 turbo charged (j20a) the mpg calculator would show a good 15-20% higher mpg than before. Usual average mpg, indicated, was around 27mpg when engine was stock. After t/c the engine, average indicated mpg was around 35mpg. But the real mpg hasn't changed after series of proper tuning sessions.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2018, 10:55:45 pm »
Unrelated to this mpg conundrum. When I had my Sx4 turbo charged (j20a) the mpg calculator would show a good 15-20% higher mpg than before. Usual average mpg, indicated, was around 27mpg when engine was stock. After t/c the engine, average indicated mpg was around 35mpg. But the real mpg hasn't changed after series of proper tuning sessions.

My experience with DICs or I guess RIC in the case of a bike has been very much the same, they are  Inherently inaccurate. I can say however the the accuracy seems to improve if left alone.
They also almost always show better than actual mileage, I can't tell you how many people I know who were disappointed by hand calculations after being excited about what they had read off their dash.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:42:25 am by Grant »

Offline Turtle

• Tricycle
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 12:38:32 am »

what year?

I don't trust it so I don't use it.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 02:39:32 am »
In 12K miles I had only once maybe twice seen LOW FUEL come on. I usually fill'er up when last fuel gauge bar disappears. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:43:03 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8557
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 01:57:34 pm »
 did not reset the Avg. mpg after installing Steve's Mt. Rider flash.
Don't the average MPG reset when electric power is lost? Did you remove the ECU without disconnecting the battery? At least on my 08 every time the battery is disconnected the Average MPG has reset to zero.
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592 SCAAD 74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]