Author Topic: Adventures in Valve Adjustment  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Adventures in Valve Adjustment
« on: May 01, 2018, 01:54:17 am »
Adventures in in valve adjustment
   So, I bought my 2016 Concours 14 new on October 13th, 2017 as a new old stock, after clocking 27,200 miles on it in six months I figured it was time to do the valve adjustment. I ordered the valve adjustment gasket kit from Murph’s Kits and a Hot Cams shim kit thru Amazon. Armed with the Service Manual and the requisite tools and parts, I invited over a fellow Concours owner and all around good guy Russ Saunders to come over to laugh along with me.

The adventure started Friday 27 April 2018 at roughly 10 a.m. with the joyous undertaking of removing all the plastic, this went with out incident as I had done it before when replacing the air filter and swapping out the spark plugs at the 15,000-mile mark. Once that was accomplished it was one to removing the bracing members and the forward motor mounts with that done, this is when I started to have bright ideas. I thought to myself this would be easy if I removed the radiator, so I had extra space. In that vain I pulled the drain plug on the water pump and dumped coolant out of the engine then removed the radiator mounting bolts, at which time I learned that dumping the coolant was a waste of time as the radiator leaned against the front tire giving me plenty of space to get at everything (dumb a**).

With easy access to the valve cover (manual calls it the cylinder head cover) I disconnected the spark plug wires, the vacuum assembly and sensor, the top cam position sensor, and moved the throttle cables out of the way. Next was to pull the valve cover which was done quickly with no issues exposing the cam hold downs and the cam, which was followed by removing the crank sensor cover so that the engine could be rotated, and the cams aligned with the crank at number one-cylinder and the number four-cylinder top dead center positions so that cam to bucket clearances could be checked. This is where I started to go wrong. In my brilliance, for what ever reason I had broken loose the cam shaft hold down bolts so that they would be easy to do later (I did not torque them back down, and this bit me in the a** later). This is where Russ and I parted ways as he had to head home.

This leaves me at the crucial point of taking the actual measurements. Armed with requisite feeler gages I dived in, diligently recording all the numbers and jotting them down with their respective cylinder/valve association. With the numbers duly recorder, I pulled the cams and the buckets to measure and record the shim sizes. I took care not to mix the and laid them out in order of where they came from along with the shims. I then proceeded to do the math and lay out the new shims to put back into the valve seats. I reinstalled all the pertinent bits and rotated the motor a few times just to get everything in the valve chain somewhat seated and retimed it to start checking the clearances (this is where checking the clearances with out the cams being properly torqued the first time reared its ugly head).  Every single valve was way too tight! “What the hell” I yelled as my 16-year-old slowly backed away and headed back into the house. I decided this was a good time to walk away for a moment have a smoke, eat some dinner, have another smoke, and think about what I could have done wrong. That is when I remembered that I had done my initial checks without having the cams torqued down properly (Moron!). So, after realizing my mistake I decided the best course of action was to pull it back apart removing the new shims and putting the original shims back where they came from, so I could take new measurements with the head properly assembled (good thing I was anal about righting down where they came from). At this point, it was late, and I decided to call it quits for the night before I do anything else bone headed.

On to the next day. With the help of my Son (and a few cups of coffee) it was time to get back at it. I gave Evan (my Son) the jobs of making up a new shim map and recording all measured values to help keep everything straight. I remeasured all the clearances (this time the cam hold downs were torqued to 106 in lbs per the manual) and pulled the cams to remeasure the shims (again as I tossed the old sheet as all the numbers were wrong anyways). With the new numbers in hand Evan and I started crunching numbers. We ran the numbers twice then converted the output to metric as everything was done in SAE and started to pull out the appropriate shims. Turns out there were a few sizes that I needed that weren’t covered by the shim kit, so called Mountain Motorsports in Ontario, CA to see how we could get me the sizes I needed. We worked it out so tat I could do a 1 for 1 swap for the four shims I needed, we beat feet and got there right before they closed. Once back at the house, we consulted our charts, double checked placement, and started matching shims to valves.  With the shims laid out it was time to reinstall everything and torque it all back down. That done I again spun the motor a few times and rechecked everything. Perfection, all the clearances were at max spec just like we plotted them to be! Got to love it when a plan comes together.

I re-installed the valve cover and all the necessary bits for the engine to run and refilled the radiator and engine with new coolant. I chose this time to also put in a fresh air-filter as I already had it apart and crossed my fingers as I thumbed the starter. She cranked for a moment and fired up with no issues, there was some additional noise as all the parts were dry from being handled causing me to shut it down and tear it back apart to re-inspect everything, but all was good. As it was again late I called it a night.

Sunday, I re-installed all the plastic and after spending some time at family commitments it was time to go for a test ride. I clocked a quick 14 miles around town including a stint on the freeway turning 6k rpm at 80 miles an hour in 4th with no issues. Moral of the story follow the steps in the manual and don’t reinvent the wheel lol. She now sounds like a happy sewing machine and my seat of the pants dyno says a picked up a few ponies and throttle response is much better. All in all, she is running like a new bike with none of the break in hassles.

Cylinder #                                     1                           2                   3                 4
Intake                             .004/.004           .005/.005             .004/.004   .005/.004
Exhaust                             .004/.007           .008/.008             .007/.008   .007/.006
Original Shim # In.                30/30                     30/30                30/30              25/25
Original Shim # Ex.                33/25                     28/30                30/30              28/30
New Shim Thickness In.   2.250mm/2.250mm   2.275/2.275   2.250/2.250     2.230/2.200
New Shim Thickness EX   2.200/2.200      2.300*/2.280           2.250/2.275     2.230/2.230
New Intake                     .006/.006          .006/.006             .006/.006    .006/.006
New Exhaust                     .009/.009          .008/.009             .009/.009     .009/.009
* I had to use the original shin on Cylinder 2 Left exhaust valve as I didn’t have another 2.275mm shim to put in its place. It is still in spec @.008”. min.00747 max.00947

Thanks to Old Man on a Conni and Rusty for the advice and moral support.

Jeremy
2016 C14

Online C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Adventures in Valve Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:22:14 am »
I'm glad you realized your mistake on the cam hold downs and could put the old shims back in to properly check the clearances. The valve adjust video came in handy for me. I constantly referred to it during my valve adjust but still had few minor glitches. At one point a shim went missing (fortunately I found it) and on reassembly I had one engine mount that had to be re-tapped. 
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 07:02:31 pm »
Good to hear Jeremy.. :great: :great:

I'm sure you are glad you went in, and did this, and recorded it all, especially when you found only 3 valves out of 16 that were considered "in spec" as dealers always say...  and now they seem to be "all in spec" and not sitting at the "bottom nano second" from being out...
Great to hear, and also adds to the 27k point you fond this... so many people naysay its findings, but you now know...

One word of advice, when undertaking something like this, its always nice to have a "helper", I don't discount that, but I do find that on a "first time is took this stuff apart" type job, like all the plastics and mounts, it pays to remove all those things by yourself, just so YOU keep a.mental picture of how it came apart, which screws/bolts etc came from where, how to finesse a part out of its tabs and locations, and how each little thing "disconnects"; having someone there "helping" is nice, and adds a second pair of eyes, but it really is beneficial to do the disassembly with your hands and eyes for ease of reassembly..

Kudos, thanks for the report, it goes a long way to show those worried about doing this stuff, that it can be accomplished with correct tools, the FSM, patiance, and above all, attention to detail and persistance in double checking stuff,
 :) ;) :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
When I did my valve adjustment I took it apart and then came back and finished it 2 weeks later.   So probably the biggest issue for me was having all the same fasteners in the same hole and also routing of the hoses, cables, etc.   I used the Kawasaki online parts diagrams to help me, it shows which fastener where.   I will take more pictures before disassembly next time.

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 04:47:23 pm »
I am sure every fastener on mine is back where it came from and it was done easy.  I make a cardboard screw holder out of several layers of corrugated cardboard till it is about 1.5' x 2' x 2 inches thick.   As I take off any part with several screws I draw the part onto the cardboard, use a pinch to make a hole at each screw location and insert the screw.  Once you make it once you have it forever.  Just don't knock it off the work bench after a few years and the holes get wallered out.  Then you need the Kawi map.

PS:  Some parts I either put the screw in the hole it came out of or put the nut back on the bolt.  That way my board is not over full.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Anthony

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 08:30:58 pm »
I am no were near mechanically inclined enough to do the valve adjustment myself. I also hate the $1,500 quote I got from one of the local dealerships....

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:03:39 am »
 Anthony, this is why I rode my bike 1,250 miles to Fort Worth, Tx and had Fred Harmon do it. I wanted to know it was done right and I wasn't going to do it. When I die I will have $1100 left over and this is that $1100. ;)
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline JPD

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 01:26:01 pm »
Good write up. It is the little things that get us. You may have been able to skip the step of reinstalling the original shims and just used the first replacement measurements and thickness you had recorded to figure your needed shims. That is unless they were so tight that you couldn't get a measurement.

Offline Jeremy

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:28:52 am »
Good write up. It is the little things that get us. You may have been able to skip the step of reinstalling the original shims and just used the first replacement measurements and thickness you had recorded to figure your needed shims. That is unless they were so tight that you couldn't get a measurement.

I reinstalled them all as I didn't trust the original measurements after realizing my cam hold down mistake. It took more time but that way I could be certain the measurements were right.

MOB I did have a helper for some of it. My youngest son and Rusty both lent a hand as they could, but as it was a time involved process I did do some of it alone. You are right though having another set of eyes and hands sure does help.
Jeremy
2016 C14

Offline Vic

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 08:09:16 pm »

I reinstalled them all as I didn't trust the original measurements after realizing my cam hold down mistake. It took more time but that way I could be certain the measurements were right.

MOB I did have a helper for some of it. My youngest son and Rusty both lent a hand as they could, but as it was a time involved process I did do some of it alone. You are right though having another set of eyes and hands sure does help.

Now the question is, Jeremy, how much do you charge for doing a valve adjustment job??   :rotflmao:

No..  seriously. How much $ would it take to persuade you undertake the hassle again?  I simply don't have the space to get this done, and even less time too...

I'm just about to do what Dirtwiz did, and plan a roadtrip out to Fred Harmon's neck o' the woods...

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12770
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 08:50:37 pm »
Jeremy has already promised to do mine over the the Memorial Day Weekend and Russ plans to be there for moral support this time too while I'm out riding the BMW and claims it's all going to be free of charge so get signed up immediately !!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 11:21:58 pm »
Jeremy has already promised to do mine over the the Memorial Day Weekend and Russ plans to be there for moral support this time too while I'm out riding the BMW and claims it's all going to be free of charge so get signed up immediately !!

:-\ :-\
Free? No charge?   Wow, now that's a deal, that job is worth about half the price of a nice aerostich....

:rotflmao:

Jeremy is surely one kind person.... :great: :great: :great: :great:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Jeremy

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 03:10:54 am »

:-\ :-\
Free? No charge?   Wow, now that's a deal, that job is worth about half the price of a nice aerostich....

:rotflmao:

Jeremy is surely one kind person.... :great: :great: :great: :great:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: I forgot to tell ya Troy I will be in Florida until the 8th sorry buddy lol
Jeremy
2016 C14

Offline Cali Cruiser

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12770
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 11:59:44 pm »
This explains your absence riding this weekend- bummer!

Offline Jeremy

• Tricycle
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 02:23:41 am »
Yep 17 days of over time, too good to pass up
Jeremy
2016 C14