Author Topic: Air Management using MadStad bracket and AeroFlow Tall Windshield  (Read 6150 times)

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
  • "The path of the righteous"
    • Company Website under construction
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12260
  • Membership Level: Active
I have achieved near perfection with my particular C14 set up. I have been attempting to reduce the cockpit buffeting for me and my pillion. I am on my 3rd windshield and it is looking like third time is a charm. I must say I have abandoned the effort of aesthetics for performance in the air management area. I don't care if it is ugly, if it works I will try it. My eyes can adapt to the ugly or the strange and perhaps even appreciate how form follows function.

One thing I discovered on my 4,000 mile trip with the wife this summer. Performance is measured in comfort and little else when there are two on board.

As a first point, I always use ATGATT and Ear Plugs. I get the blue foam earplugs from Walgreens and they work great. I am not trying to get quiet air in the cockpit without a full face helmet and ear plugs.

Since most of us on the COG are set up differently in the cockpit, there is obviously not a single answer for everyone or every season. But after initially trying the VStream windshield and finding it worked until I installed ST Horizon Adjustable Heli Bars that put me back and up into the wind. The quiet pocket was two inches down and 3 inches forward... and the passenger was much worse off due to the rolling effect of the wind off of the VStream design.

So I purchased the MadStad bracket system and tried it with the VStream. It was different but not better. I sold the VStream on eBay. Then I reinstalled the stock windshield with the MadStad bracket and there was a marked improvement. The MadStad bracket essentially adds an air gap under any windshield and gives you a third adjustment that includes manual tilt of any windshield mounted.

I knew I would eventually find a windshield that would be tall enough to build a quiet pocket of air in the cockpit and pillion area. And I believed that the MadStad bracket might give me relief from backpressure and buffeting. I have seen many attempts of cutting windshields, added vent holes etc and I was willing to try almost anything. At 6ft tall, long legs and a custom seat that is 1.5 inches taller than stock  I new this would take some patience. Finally, after spending another $300 on an AeroFlow Tall windshield ( recommended for 6'0" to 6'4" riders) I believe I have achieved the goal. Quiet air with enough air movement for summer when riding two up.

I have not mounted the AeroFlow Tall without the MadStad bracket and I have not ridden this setup in winter so I may need to try the AeroFlow Tall without the MadStad bracket if it brings in too much cold air for winter.

The newly found quiet place for me and my wife is quite amazing. I am fascinated to find when you move down and forward to get closer to the windshield now, it gets LOUD with air movement. There is actually a significant amount of air flowing up the backside of the Aeroflow and creating a foil effect exactly where I needed it. It is the opposite of my previous set up... Now moving back and up is the quiet place. That is near perfection for my personal needs of the moment.

Now I am thinking of having some fun by cutting the stock windshield down for the "clean blast" of air for maximum cooling for town/local riding. I would like to paint the interior of the cut down windshield for shade of the dashboard and styling effect. First I will do a couple rides without any windshield to see if I really like it. We have lots of bugs in East Texas.

I will take some pictures of the ugly duckling with the MadStad/AeroFlow set up and add for the COG to criticize and cajole. I will smile as I roll by your state/county/town in long distance comfort...
Denny LaMaster

2005 Concours 1000 in Pearl Lustre Beige. On/Off petcock, Madstad 18" bronze screen, Throttle Meister, Murph's tip over bars w Hiway Pegs, Avons Storm 3D 110/80/18 -Cobra 160/80/16 SWEET... 2012 C14 Arabian Red, K&N  Russell Day Long dual heat, Phils Rack, ST Horizon Bars, Bestem 929 w top rack / LEDs, Buck's Hwy Pegs, MadStad Bracket on CalSci XL tall/wide. Time to Ride...

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
Re: Air Management using MadStad bracket and AeroFlow Tall Windshield
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:55:06 am »
 :great: :great: Glad you found your solution.  I forgot Madstad had come out with a C14 model.  I can relate to ugly.  I've got a warm, quiet, ugly Calsci XL WIDE for cold weather. 
  I also chopped and painted my stock shield for summer and love it. Yep, more helmet bug cleaning. :(  Here's a preview for ya. I'm thinking about cutting another 3" off.  Sorry it's not a better pic.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 09:58:55 am by Flat-spot »
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:07:04 am »
One thing I discovered on my 4,000 mile trip with the wife this summer. Performance is measured in comfort and little else when there are two on board.

I will take some pictures of the ugly duckling with the MadStad/AeroFlow set up and add for the COG to criticize and cajole. I will smile as I roll by your state/county/town in long distance comfort...

whoop, whoop!

hope to see these photos!
thanks.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver.

Offline Bigtall

• Tricycle
    • KP Computers
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 11:20:13 am »
mhm yes these photos  will be interesting. My ladyfriend dosnt do so well on the longer trips so this may help me out a bunch!

2008 C-14 ABS

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:44:02 am »
  Sorry still working on the pics. Gotta get the bugs off first!
Flat-Spot that OEM windshield looks awesome. I think I will cut mine shorter (like your plan) but I'm a little skeered. I can just sense a major slip the the saw, etc. I'm going to google the process and see how to wisely hack a windshield and then finish the edges.

Question: is that tint or paint on the OEM cutdown. It looks fantastic on the Silver!
Denny LaMaster

2005 Concours 1000 in Pearl Lustre Beige. On/Off petcock, Madstad 18" bronze screen, Throttle Meister, Murph's tip over bars w Hiway Pegs, Avons Storm 3D 110/80/18 -Cobra 160/80/16 SWEET... 2012 C14 Arabian Red, K&N  Russell Day Long dual heat, Phils Rack, ST Horizon Bars, Bestem 929 w top rack / LEDs, Buck's Hwy Pegs, MadStad Bracket on CalSci XL tall/wide. Time to Ride...

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:29:18 am »
It's just flat black spray paint for plastic on the backside after scuffing the whole surface with sandpaper.  Don't worry, the front comes out very shiny black.

As for cutting, there are varying methods,  I completely covered the front with wide blue painters tape and put my cut line on with a sharpie. I didn't bother protecting the back knowing I was going to paint it.
Put a med.-fine blade in your jigsaw and leave the line.  I completed the line with my coarse (60 grit) belt sander.  Finished and rounded the edge with a hard rubber hand sanding block. 220 then 120 grit.  It looked nice enough that I stopped there.  If you want a shiny edge you can quick flame it with a torch.   EDIT;  Oops....reverse those grits,               ^^^ 120, then 220.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:12:04 am by Flat-spot »
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Dave

• Training Wheels
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 04:46:34 pm »
Thanks for sharing!  I just got back from a Des Moines, IA to Boulder, CO trip - 10+ hrs each way.  Only good way to get to Boulder is to burn interstate.  I've got 22k on my 2010 but little of that was in the sustained 70+mph range.  This trip made it very clear that I needed a different windshield.  I was already looking at ways to increase the gap between the fairing and windshield.  This bracket will do that and give me the extra height I need(I'm 6'2").     

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 04:49:57 am »
Thanks Flat-Spot for the tips on the windshield. Can't wait to have fun with the OEM WINDSHIELD. I am posting pictures of the AeroFlow and MadStad bracket. One of my favorite things about this set up is you can easily wash under the windshield. I love a clean front end even if the back is dirty!

Dave, I am convinced this set up will perform better than the OEM for you at 6'2". At 6'0" I don't even need to raise the windshield with the "tilt" setting right on neutral. With the wife I raise the OEM electric adjust about 2 inches and she is happy happy happy. Plenty of air circulating but no buffering or loud blast of wind.

I'm ready for the sticks and stones. I know it's all jacked with the long distance mods. But that's the beauty of the C14 - you can make it your own and it can rise to almost any occasion on improved roads.

I have found a quiet place in the cockpit to log many miles, long or short days and in all seasons. Now I just need some travel destinations. We are thinking we need to take an October trip on the scenic route to Waxhaw, NC to see some friends. While there I am hoping to ride the Tail of The Dragon.

Denny LaMaster

Offline Bigtall

• Tricycle
    • KP Computers
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:04:42 am »
mhm she dosnt look half bad. I may look to purchase this myself, especially if it keeps the lady happy.

2008 C-14 ABS

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 08:43:45 pm »
I don't know why you thought or were worried about sticks and stones.  Ever heard of different strokes for different folks?

You making YOUR bike YOUR OWN.  It looks good to me.  But even more important is, if it works for you - who cares what others think?

OK now can you tell me how much the brackets cost?  Maybe a link to where you bought them?
I can relate to it being hard to clean under the lower part of the windscreen. 

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 07:12:25 am »
Found in 3 clicks.   http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.13488/.f  Google is your friend.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:16:19 am by Flat-spot »
'08 C14

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 03:36:40 am »
Thank you Flat-spot for the link. Thanks to the rest for support of my particular choices.

Hopefully this will save some time and money for those over 5'10" who need a quiet space for long distance touring. For me adding the MadStad bracket to the stock windshield was almost good enough. We rode it two up on a 4,000 mile trip and very few complaints except a little too much buffeting for the pillion and a little short on the height for me up front.

The Aeroflow Windshield with MadStad bracket is starting to become easier to look at especially knowing I am in the best pocket of quiet while still getting plenty of air for summer. I had the MadStad bracket on the stock windshield for long enough to get used to the gap under the windshield. In my opinion, walking around the Aeroflow/MadStad, it is not ugly per se but it is less stylish and less integrated. But that is exactly what the problem is with backpressure in the cockpit. The close lines of the stock windshield mounted near the front fairing creates a noticeable backpressure that becomes more and more evident the longer you stay in the saddle. And the buffeting around the helmet at speed for taller riders limits the comfort for long distance application.

These modifications for air management are best for my application and it has created a bike for me that has very few weak points. The C14 is a great platform proven for many years of dependable service. After looking around at other bikes and realizing there are limitations with every brand/make/model I believe the two bikes with the best platform for my style of long distance motorcycling are both Japanese: Kawasaki Concours 14 and Yamaha FJR1300.

All that being said I really love the look of Flat-spot's cut down windshield. I still have a little Sport left in the Sport Touring side of this Connie... I will do this for fun before summer is over. I do like the direct clean air onto the helmet and neck and it is surprisingly quiet with the right helmet. But the BUGS always get me ready to have better coverage. We have some BIG JUICY BUGS in East Texas and swarms of nats and mosquitoes that sound like sand hitting the helmet at 70 plus mph.

Denny LaMaster

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 03:46:51 am »
Dlama,  for that bug & short windshield problem, stay ahead of one problem with small pieces of Gorilla tape over your helmet vents.  Of course losing that venting sucks but when they fill up with bugs it's gone in a worse way.  ??? :)
'08 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 03:47:58 am »
Madstadt is the best. They're the reason I was able to do 900+ days on a KLR during my coast to coast on one cylinder bucket list ride, the air management is INCREDIBLE!  they're local in USA and they had me bring the bike in to perfect the KLR brackets. And they slashed the price and did labor/adjustments for nadda'!  I did a wee little kudo's shout out to them in a thread:

Place an order, check out with paypal.  Madstadt calls me and says "hey we're just north of Dade City, we'd like to meet you, we'll install the windshield free while you're here.  Also will knock off the price for cash and deduct delivery charges etc". Just wow. I pay them a visit and yes they installed an ADV shield on my KLR - Can't say enough about them, was a great time there too.

Tested to....(accidentally) above the freeway speed limit on knobbies. Thought I'd share a few pics I popped while there:

The black piece is metal and replaced the stock windscreen.  Its the same size as the stocker, and the adjustable Madstadt brackets mount to it.

Now we have some wind and elements protection. This is adjusted high, I wanted to ride from Dade City down the super slab with it "up there"

Just some random camera babbling while there

One of there guys there apparently goes the distance on a thumper too?

They bake and bend the plastic in this zombie chamber?

One or two more custom replacements for stocker windshields

Leaving Tampa:

KiPass!

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 01:50:15 pm »
Thanks for the repost on MadStad. Your experience helped me decide to give them a try on my bracket. I love the Entrepreneur vision and the service aspect of MadStad products.
Denny LaMaster

Offline Jon

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 04:18:26 pm »
100 bucks AND $20 to ship madstad brackets??? :o   What a rip off. ::)       I'll be making my own version for that kind of coin. 

I'd rather they just name the actual price instead of gouging you on shipping.   

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »
100 bucks AND $20 to ship madstad brackets??? :o   What a rip off. ::)       I'll be making my own version for that kind of coin. 

I'd rather they just name the actual price instead of gouging you on shipping.

My time alone is worth more than $20 an hour labor (it would take me at least 6 hours to make it, hardware store runs, plus have it powdercoated/painted perfectly, etc).  Not to mention materials costs.

Will be interesting to see your project, please post pics
KiPass!

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 01:21:43 am »
When I got the brackets and took them out of the box I thought, MY GOD these are expensive. Then I remembered how much I charged for cleaning up HAZMAT SPILLS all over East Texas for 15 years and realized, it's not the metal, bolts, washers and the paint, ITS THE KNOW HOW.

I once heard a Heavy Towing Operator give a quote $1,550.00 to upright an Owner/Operator of an 18 Wheeler Rig who had rolled over into the ditch. The owner complained and said, That's alot of money to flip and haul my truck! The Heavy Towing Operator said, Sir, I'm only charging you $1 to upright and haul your truck. The other $1449.00 is for the KNOW HOW.

If you KNOW HOW then go ahead and GITRDUN. I know for sure any bracket I would make would have these categories as their obvious features:

1. Dangerous
2. Fugly - as in, you know
3. Useless
4. Worth about $1.00

I foresee raising the windshield, the stresses of the windshield being pushed by wind on my tin can bracket, I can visualize a $300 Aeroflow flying through the air like a giant frisbee at 85 mph. Then I can see a lawsuit by anyone decapitated by said frisbee. (Wait, maybe not)

Was the MadStad Bracket worth $100? You can bet your Texas Pea Shooter it is! Would I buy it again?

Why would I do that? I already bought it onced. (As we say in Gregg County, TX)

Give the guy a break, he doesn't make MILLIONS OF THEM. He makes them for the intelligent few who need some wind management. (Okay, I want my $20 Card to the WalMart now...)
Denny LaMaster

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 01:38:28 am »
^^^ :D :rotflmao:  Good points.  When I bought my PE handlebars my wallet only ached for a little while.  Ever since then my (factory destroyed) wrists thank me every time I climb aboard. :great:
'08 C14

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 02:21:38 am »
flat-spot I have become an expert at convincing myself that all my farkles are absolutely necessary. Now if I could only convince the wife and college kids...

I think it's hilarious for my 20 year old son to see a box at the front door and ask me how much did it cost, DAD. The 14 year old son doesn't have a clue how important AIR MANAGEMENT is for my long distance comfort. The 20 year old is an "experienced" ex-R6 rider (he totaled it on the 2nd day) and still thinks that comfort on a motorcycle is unnecessary.
Denny LaMaster

Offline Jon

• Scooter
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 02:03:08 pm »
ease up people :-[    You'd think I'd shot a lion or something. :nananana:     That thing looks like a bad erector set gone wild, and for 120 bones you'd think it'd be a little more tidy.   :truce:     I know this may shock a few people, but it IS ok to have a differing opinion on things...really, it is ok.   :beerchug:

I don't need all that fancy, extra adjustment...just need a simple block to raise up the stock set up to get more flow under it to reduce the buffeting.   I'll do them out of hardwood to get the shape right then move on to the metal.   Longer screws/bolts will be all thats needed.     

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 02:50:21 pm »
It's all good, Jon.  I can help a little before you get started.  You'll need Offset blocks with 2 sets of holes and 2 sets of bolts.  Since the bolts are angled out on each side, as soon as you raise the windshield away from the mounts, the holes no longer line up. Post pics when you get it done cuz I'm sure some others would like to save those bucks too. :great:
'08 C14

Offline dlama

• Denny
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 03:05:34 pm »
Jon,

I like your sense of style. Nothing would impress me more than designing and building blocks that give an air gap under the windshield on the C14. However, I have found the tilt feature has a HUGE effect for air management because at least two things are changed: the air over the shield and the air UNDER. The very thing you don't like about the aesthetics is the genius part of the design.

For instance: When I have the stock shield on the MadStad bracket and riding solo I am quiet and cool with the MadStad adjustment tilting the top towards me and the factory electric adjust almost all the way down. The tilt effectively lowers the top of the shield and moves it closer to me. It also pushes the bottom of the shield out further grabbing more air that funnels under the shield and floods the cockpit with usable "quiet" air for cooling effect. However, the pillion suffers more turbulence and buffeting in this position. So the answer for that application is to raise the electric adjust AND to set the tilt back into a "neutral" or mid adjustment and both rider and pillion are happy happy. This was proven on my 4,000 mile trip to California.

Now to start over with another windshield like the Tall Aeroflow, all of the tilt  and electric adjustments start over again similarly (but still slightly different). For me it is a near perfect solution that would take many SETS of your blocks or spacers to mimic.

It's the same reason that bar risers don't work for everyone. That's why I stretched my budget for ST Horizon adjustable Heli Bars. Best $750 I ever spent. I was ready to quit riding due to wrist pain or worse, I was considering trading bikes. That's crazy talk right there! There are those of us who are old and decrepit and also have some $$$ just begging to be used on a hobby of some sort. Motorcycling is fun in so many different ways. For you, it's homemade brackets that could rival any manufacturer. For me it is exploiting the limits of the genius of others.

I'm not knocking YOUR skills, I'm knocking MINE ...

All the best,

Denny
Denny LaMaster

Offline olie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 12:17:23 am »
great  reading about Madstad... so I decide to provide my experience too. Between my ex 09 and current 13 C14, I rode more than 110k miles, with about 90% of them using a CB Ultra Tour shield. About 1 1/2 ago, I decided to sell the heavy CB UT and get a more aerodynamic shield and got a V-Stream...better in some areas worse on others like in crosswinds, some wobbling, etc., basically no overall improvement.

A few months ago, I bought and installed the Madstad bracket... didn't like the looks but I had a great experience using a similar bracket on my ex Tenere 1200. After a few issues with the hardware, corrected with less than $10, I tested the V-stream using a recommended 65deg angle. It worked great, actually I was using the windshield on a position between 3 and full open and now with the tilting brackets I ride with the full low position or a small notch higher. It works great, smooth flow but.... I still have problems under crosswinds, basically a problem inherent with the V-Stream, excess of flex.

My next step will be try the 13 oem shield and probably my local Summer shield a 09 oem. BTW, I am 6-3, 33"IS.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 04:16:08 am »
No matter what I've tried, with the exception of Madstad which I haven't, I've made a full circle back to OE windscreen with ProjektD wiglets which work wonders on my hands. I hate wind blast on my hands.
My stride to achieve back-pressure free cockpit has failed. No matter what I've tried, I couldn't eliminate cold draft on the back of my neck. I've found a solution, but it is not with air management,  rather with a different garment.
This dreaded cold draft is the ONLY negative I have about otherwise wonderful C14.