Author Topic: Air Switching Valve  (Read 431 times)

Offline Gordie

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12885
  • Membership Level: Active
Air Switching Valve
« on: January 09, 2019, 11:14:00 pm »
Can anyone solve this riddle?
I was doing a valve clearance check on my 2008 Concours and decided to check the "Air Switching Valve" function.  After some head-scratching I found that the previous owner stuffed a wire nut down inside the inlet tube and sealed it with silicon.  Further testing identified that the pulse solenoid was not working.  I'm trying to reason why someone would block off this vent system.  Was it because the valve was bad?  If I replace the defective valve will there still be an issue?  The only thing I could think of is the possibility that oil might blow back through the system (if the pulse solenoid is not working) and into the air box but there is no signs of that happening.  Does anyone have an answer?

Gordie
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:19:55 pm by Gordie, Reason: Spelling »
Gordie

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
Re: Air Switching Valve
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 11:53:20 pm »
 Yes. someone has the answer.  :nananana:

You are misunderstanding the pair valve  / air switching valve function. It does not connect to the crankcase. It allows fresh air to be drawn into the exhaust stream to help the uncombusted hydrocarbons to burn in the exhaust pipe and thereby result in a cleaner exhaust emissions.

The downside to the system is that under lower rpm deceleration the air mixing in to the exhaust will result in some exhaust popping / cracking. With the catalytic converter in the header, most of that is heavily muted and thereby no annoyance. With an aftermarket exhaust, it can be annoying to some, and in this case blocking the pair valve from functioning stops the noise.

There's more to it, but that's the relevant info. Steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Gordie

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12885
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:28:00 am »
Thanks Steve, for making sense of it and saving me $160 . The exhaust is stock but I see someone punched one of the baffles from the end of the can so I guess I’m just going to put it back the way it was.

Gordie

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:59:30 am »
This is AWESOME! I have an 05' Vstrom 1k that gives off a bang or loud pop on decelerations (off ramps). It drives my wife crazy. Nothing has fixed this including having the bike dyno'ed (dealers recomendation) and installing a power commander. I am going to see if there is a similar device on this bike. This forum is awesome!
CDA #0542

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:47:40 pm »
This is commonly called  "marbleing" since if you have the right size marble to plug the hose it works great.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.