Author Topic: Allen wrench bolts stripped.  (Read 689 times)

Offline Ed

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Allen wrench bolts stripped.
« on: August 07, 2019, 03:58:07 am »
I left my ignition switch on all day yesterday while painting my house. Yes it was an IQ test. Yes I failed it. I was going to take the battery out to recharge it. Much to my chagrin, (it's a new bike to me) the three or four allen wrench bolts attaching the metal battery protection plate were all stripped. I could not remove the bolts! Was just making it worse. I could still jump start the battery using the positive terminal and ground for the bike - so in the end I never did have to remove the bolts. But definitely need to. Question: should I go to a m/c repair place to see if they can remove them or a local machine specialty shop of some kind? Any idea or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time. ed

Offline mgoodrich

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 4466
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Allen wrench bolts stripped.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:25:19 am »
When I first got my 2017, I had to use an impact wrench to get those bolts out.  I thought that I was going to end up stripping them as well, but fortunately they came out.

One of my best purchases was a set of reverse drill bits that I had gotten to use for my EZ out set for messed up screw heads etc. I found that 90% of the time, using the drill bits that the bolt spun out when being drilled.

If you feel that is beyond your ability, I found that my local welding shop can do this, and is usually quite a bit cheaper than going to a mc dealer.

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:47:48 am »
I'd drill them out myself as Mgoodrich suggested.

It's too late now but do not EVER use round point Allen wrenches on those bolts!!! Don't ask me how I know this...
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 01:17:46 pm »
Here's a trick I shamelessly lifted from a MOB post quite a while ago:  (Credit where credit is due - Thanks MOB!)

Even a non-rounded allen wrench / key / socket end needs to have the tip end ground down just a shade to remove the rounded edges at the tip.

This this gives the wrench end as much positive surface area contact, as deep in the bolt head as possible to maximize chances of successful bolt removal.

It may not sound like it would do that much, but it has saved the day for me in several instances.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 01:36:24 pm »
You can use a slightly oversized allen wrench, and grind the 6 sides down in a slight taper.
  Also grind the end flat with sharp edges.
Grind the taper until the end barely fits into the bolt, and tap {whack} it into the hole..
Then remove the bolt/screw.
NOTE: As you rotate the allen, tap on it to keep it tight and shock the threads.  {ie; poor man's impact driver}

{Or better} Buy an allen "socket" that is slightly oversized and do the same grind technique.
                 Then, tap it in, and use a hand impact driver to loosen the bolts..

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:31:05 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:21:18 pm »
If you have enough room you could use a Dremel and cut slots in the screw heads so you could use a screwdriver to get them loose.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9318
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 05:48:43 pm »
Just curious. What technique did you use to get the screws out when you found the pinched wire under the battery?

I drill and use a bolt extractor.

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 12:03:51 am »
Don't know the age of your C14.  So my $.02 worth ...

Question: should I go to a m/c repair place to see if they can remove them or a local machine specialty shop of some kind? Any idea or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Especially if your bike's still under warranty, get a new battery quote (installed) from your Kawa dealer.  And take bike to them; let them install the battery. 
This work puts you on their list of regular service customers.  In future years they will see you as a regular customer when it comes to evaluating warranty items; works in your favor.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 12:38:09 am »
2010 model, he had the battery out in March this year, vis-a-vis prior posts.. grind your allen nib's flat on end and sharp on all of them, and tap them in with a hammer, broaching the "too shallow hex" to it's full depth, as noted by Stasch, per the many times i've noted it.\\

cutting a slot in there ain't happening, and a screwdriver won't remove those bolts... maybe finding a larger Torx tip, and grinding it flat on the end, to create a "broach" tool to pound in, may help.. but I can't guaranty it.

Mine were already stripped when I got it from the dealer,,,, NEW,,, I replaced them by the methods I noted, and tossed the OEM bolts on the service managers desk..  and explained about using "cheapo service tools to assemble bikes" during prep for sales..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline scooter trash

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12112
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 02:02:27 pm »
Hello, I have had this happen to me several times on a used 09...the previous owner stripped and I didnt realize it until wiring the heated gear plug to the battery.

I have a half inch drive impact driver, half inch to three eights inch drive impact adapter. I used a Torx drive socket that was slightly larger than the Allen, wacked it with a 32 oz. hammer a couple of times and they all came out...no issues!!

Make sure you drive the torx socket in to make it stay in before putting the impact driver and hammer to it!

Good luck!

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 05:53:13 pm »
When I first got my bike I had an employee do some work on it, the next time I worked on it I could tell he used SAE instead of Metric Allen wrenches

I had to buy a new set of screws for the windshield, they were going round.   
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 02:06:10 am »
Although I am not sure what the condition of the head of your bolts are, I agree that sometimes a torx will work.  As suggested tap it in with a hammer to make sure it's bottomed.  Good Luck.

Fred
Wa2gzw

On a side note, I usually tap lightly on my Allen sockets with a hammer till they bottom.  This saves a lot of problems.  When I first suggested this many years ago some on the forum made the comment that it was a rookie move.  Now I see that they are now suggesting that folks do this.

Offline Wess

• Street Cruiser
  • I had sooner lose my arm than live under tyranny!
  • COG#: 8010
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 02:48:41 pm »
anyone know offhand what size they are?
Respectfully Yours! 
Wess Heavner 
Independence, MO 
COG #8010 CDA #0239 ROK# ROK100027795  AMA# 2952749 IBA #38420 2009 Hard Luck Award Winner!

Offline HeavyRotation

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 02:52:32 pm »
Hello, I have had this happen to me several times on a used 09...the previous owner stripped and I didnt realize it until wiring the heated gear plug to the battery.

I have a half inch drive impact driver, half inch to three eights inch drive impact adapter. I used a Torx drive socket that was slightly larger than the Allen, wacked it with a 32 oz. hammer a couple of times and they all came out...no issues!!

Make sure you drive the torx socket in to make it stay in before putting the impact driver and hammer to it!

Good luck!
I remove these things professionally and this is my preferred method as well. One size bigger torx applied with a hammer and turned with an impact.
I like sheds and ninjas.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 10:04:55 pm »
anyone know offhand what size they are?

The ones in the black metal cover are 6mm, one in the plastic part is 5mm. When you put the new ones in, make sure you use antiseize on them.
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 11:00:14 pm »
the first one I came upon, was the plastic cover one.. it was cross threaded.. I removed it and tappped it out to 1/4-20 sae, and installed a common bolt.. 7/16" hex (11mm for a conversion, both work).. then the ones holding the metal plate, when I got them out, were all cross threaded also, but ran a tap in on those all (4), and went to Lowe's, and bought the same threaded bolts with Zinc finish, for $2, and applied anti-sieze on them, and installed them as replacements.. they had deeper hex pockets, and so far after about 25 in/out cycles, are still perfect. I do still recommend grinding the ends of every hex key/stub flat, and sharp on the "end". and tapping them when inserting them, they "broach" deeper, and give full strength that way.

You will find that recommendation beneficial if you remove your front brake calipers for service also..  just mentioning it.

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Street Cruiser
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 10:45:29 am »
If you have enough room you could use a Dremel and cut slots in the screw heads so you could use a screwdriver to get them loose.
This will work!
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 06:50:43 pm »
This will work!

I wouldn't try that, only on those screws; knowing they are made out of soft Stainless alloy with a strength factor of Cheese Wizz... :'( :??:

maybe on a smaller harder, steel screw, that was originally tightened with a small hand tool/driver, but those bolt heads if "sliced into" will surely split in 2 leaving a half head, and no other way to repair that.. if a hex bit and wrench stripped, they are tight enough a screwdriver ain't gonna budge them. :-X :-X