Author Topic: Amsoil ?  (Read 4483 times)

Offline JDSCO

• Mini Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12593
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Amsoil ?
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2017, 10:29:11 pm »
I use to run it in my Guzzi Stelvio, figured it was good enough for the C14

MOTUL was unknown to me in 2009 and I ran AMSOIL if you can believe that. My neighbor was a rep.

"It's not bragging if you can back it up"
Muhammad Ali

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 10:56:40 pm »
I'm stuck on seagiant1's pictures. What are we talking about? :-\
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Roger Dodger

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6017
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 01:18:06 am »
Ask Seagiant so he will respond ...

I use 1/2 synthetic and 1/2 dino for a home-made blend.

Seems like everyone says... tons of miles and no problems.  ;)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Scooter
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 02:15:39 am »

That's very interesting!
I just read "Bobtheoilguy"
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2334311
Is the world still flat?
No clutch issues?
As long as it meets JASO MA it's all good for wet clutch.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Scooter
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 02:18:02 am »
Indeed, such alluring pictures he posts!  :great:

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 11:08:17 am »
Okay, I'll be the one to mix it up a little. I started using Rotella T6 in my C14 approx. 110,000 -120,000 miles ago. Now at 182,000 I don't see any problems.

$19.50 a gallon at Wal Mart! I'm just not paying $10 - $12 a quart for oil & doing 4 -5 oil changes a year. With a filter that's $70.00 per change.

Cliff   :beerchug:

That's very interesting!
I just read "Bobtheoilguy"
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2334311
Is the world still flat?
No clutch issues?

No clutch issues or any other funny stuff & shifts silky smooth. It's considered a diesel oil but meets Kawasaki specs.

I was using Actevo for the first 60,000 - 70,000 miles.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2017, 12:53:59 pm »
Indeed, such alluring pictures he posts!  :great:

Hi,
       You guys crack me up! ;D

I'm actually waiting (hoping) for Fall! :-X

So I can burn some oil! :motonoises:

HOT now in Florida! :(
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2017, 02:44:59 pm »
Okay, I'll be the one to mix it up a little. I started using Rotella T6 in my C14 approx. 110,000 -120,000 miles ago. Now at 182,000 I don't see any problems.

$19.50 a gallon at Wal Mart! I'm just not paying $10 - $12 a quart for oil & doing 4 -5 oil changes a year. With a filter that's $70.00 per change.

And I'll agree with Cliff on this oil, though I only have been using Rotella T6 for 50,000 miles. I have had several oil analysis done on my used oil, and after 5,000-7,500 miles on oil, it was still protecting my engine quite well. Shifting and clutch work flawlessly.
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2017, 11:58:58 pm »
Changing good oil at 5,000 is a waste :nananana:

I go 10,000 at least :pokestick:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Dragoon

• proud PGR Rider and wildly handsom
  • Road Bike
  • keep your knees in the breeze , not easy on a cony
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 12:03:16 pm »
very interesting thoughts on oil..i am alarmed with those who don't seem to have as much importance on their oil regime, especially with one of the easiest bike to do an oil change on..I also change out the gear oil every oil change not that i think it needs it but for the 95 cents it costs it give me a good feeling...it may all be physiological since the technology for systemic has come so far that you could probably run 50-100000 miles between oil changes and still get some protection...but it has also become relatively cheap and in our case very easy to change...different strokes for different folks...I keep all me receipts and should i ever have to sell i am certain my regular short interval changes will work in my favor...and i love the feeling i get heading out on a long trip with fresh fluids...thats just me i guess.. :)
Pardon my spelling, auto correct is my worst enama

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:32 pm »

Hi,
       One of my jobs aboard ship as a Marine Engineer is maintaining Oil Purifiers.

We hardly EVER change oil on the big diesels!

The oil runs continually through the Purifiers and we "freshen up" as we go to maintain correct levels....

And thats it!

The purifiers remove water and solids (sludge) and it's good to go!

I always thought it would be nice to have a small work bench size purifier to clean auto/moto oil!

Never happen, but a thought! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 03:10:54 pm »

Hi,

The oil runs continually through the Purifiers and we "freshen up" as we go to maintain correct levels....

And thats it!

I always thought it would be nice to have a small work bench size purifier to clean auto/moto oil!

But how many fresh gallons are added on a daily basis to make up for burn loss?
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2017, 03:29:01 pm »

Hi,

And thats it!

Hi,
      Good question, but.....

It depends on the size of the engine....medium speed.....slow speed???

A lot of factors but it would be in GALLONS of oil!

Just trying to get across WHY we change oil, a we have to do on auto/motos!

When we dump the oil, IF you could put it through a Purifier....

You could put it back in and keep using it! (my opinion!)

We use the oil filter (in cars) to slow the build up of "sludge" to get more use of the oil, but even that only works so long!

I know people that run synthetic 10,000 miles, then change the filter, freshen up and run 10,000 more!

I run 10,000 and dump it!

Like was said what ever makes you feel good. but.....!!!! ;D

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2017, 03:53:48 pm »

Hi,

And thats it!

You could put it back in and keep using it! (my opinion!)

I run 10,000 and dump it!

I tend to disagree with you on this point. After time, the oil is sheered down and looses it lubrication properties and becomes ineffective at protecting the engine. Plus it also get diluted with fuel.

10,000 without an oil analysis? I simply wont take that chance.  But to each their own. I know that when I run my bike hard for long rides,aka: going through Death Valley, or crossing Western states, it definitely takes a toll on the oil. 
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:45 am »
Hi,
        Well....Has anyone here ever got back a bad report on their oil?

I've run Mobil One in both my truck/SUV's for over 20 years....

Changing at 10,000 miles with no issues?

I worry more about my wifes driving (She's totaled two SUV's, yea, don't ask!) than....

About an oil change?

Just sayin, from my experience topping up oil and keeping it at the right level with a good filter....

Should be good to go but, opinions vary! ;D

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 01:35:20 pm »
Hi,
        Well....Has anyone here ever got back a bad report on their oil?

I've run Mobil One in both my truck/SUV's for over 20 years....

Changing at 10,000 miles with no issues?

I worry more about my wifes driving (She's totaled two SUV's, yea, don't ask!) than....

About an oil change?

Just sayin, from my experience topping up oil and keeping it at the right level with a good filter....

Should be good to go but, opinions vary! ;D

Personally, no I havent had a "bad" oil report. I have had marginal ones that they have expressed concerns. On the other hand, I have seen bad oil reports at work on our pump engines or generator engines. The bad ones were mostly related to excessive fuel levels in oil.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:19 pm »
 I have gotten bad reports from BlackStone.... I let my friend borrow my bike and it came back real bad- all metal content numbers were really high.  Pretty much kept at redline for most of the week.
 I had to do two 2k mile oil changes and  a 5k oil change to get the get the levels back down.
One other time I used a 5w-40 and it was sheared down to water in ~5k miles. That's the problem with  thinner oil. It takes a lot more  additives to make the thinner 5  oil act like 40 weight  and those molecules get sheared down quicker. I wont use a 5w on my Concours anymore because of that report. I stick with 10w-40.
That is why you should change your oil at 5k unless you know your oil is not being sheared down. True synthetics resist shearing a little more than regular dino oil but in todays world you dont even know anymore what is true synthetic and what is bullcr@p.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 02:27:41 pm »
Not a C14 owner, but definitely an Amsoil customer.

This year I decided to do Amsoil motor oil in the bikes. I'll try and be objective here;

C10: Amsoil vs Rotella T6=MAJOR difference. A lot smoother gear changes, and it seems to last better than the T6 did a few thousand miles in (been using T6 for about 8 years)
Goldwing: Amsoil vs Mobil1 motorcycle racing synthetic=No difference
Goldwing: Mobil1 vs Rotella T6=MAJOR difference. Much like the C10, the gear changes are smoother, less chatter.

So someone said above, that Amsoil rides about the same as a good synthetic, is about accurate. But its in the same class, right? Amsoil IS a good synthetic. If you buy by the gallon, and do so with free shipping or your 20% off, it will come out a little cheaper than the Mobil1 though.

Other Amsoil observations:

Severe Gear, Gear oil in the connie and the GL: Didnt like it, seems like there was a lot of chatter, and low end studder. Put my Lucas back in, which I MUCH prefer.
Manual Trans Fluid: in my 2013 honda accord, I though I'd give it a try. After about an hour in rush hour traffic where the fluid was good and hot, I drained it and put in amsoil. It seemed OK for a few hundred miles but after that it just made the trans lurch more than usual. I was planning on going back to honda fluid ASAP, but just hadn't and ended up trading the car in.

Overall, I think the Amsoil is good oil...but being mail order and having to pay for shipping (maybe) seems dumb. I think the Mobil1 motorcycle oils are very good as well, so if you can get those locally then it would possibly save a few bucks.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:49:28 pm by dboogie2288 »
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »
interesting read on oil qualities and effects, which seems to support the "no oil: bad. Oil in: good" motto.

I know it was done on cars, not on bikes, but still, i think it portrays an interesting picture. Just thought I would share it with you guys!
https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/why-expensive-oil-is-a-waste-of-money-1797241527
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 03:51:04 pm »
Am I the only one that clicks on Seagiant's pictures before actually reading his posts? (if i ever get around to it, that is)  :great:
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2017, 04:12:21 pm »
I'm the black sheep of the oil family here as I have run Royal Purple synthetic ever since the Silverbullet was new (15 years now) with no oil related issues. But before choosing the RP I did several oil tests on the Timken Bearing test machine with about 12 different brands of oil both conventional and synthetic and the RP came out on top. And you can ask anyone who knows me I don't baby the throttle.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline bobgroger

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12689
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2017, 01:32:06 am »

I run Rotella T6 in all my bikes without issue. It is JASO (Motorcycle) approved. Usually only get 2000-2500 miles before shifting gets notchy but a gallon costs what a quart or 2 of "Motorcycle" oil does. Lots of road and drag racers use it as well.
09 C14 24k
'80 GS1100e Dragbike 8k
'83 GS1100e stock 42k
'80 GS850 my favorite bike 18k

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2017, 11:59:51 am »
Am I the only one that clicks on Seagiant's pictures before actually reading his posts? (if i ever get around to it, that is)  :great:
Me too...  :great:
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2017, 02:22:52 pm »

I use T6 as well. So cheap and 62k trouble-free miles on my 2011.

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2017, 03:51:52 pm »

I use T6 as well. So cheap and 62k trouble-free miles on my 2011.
what weight of rotella T6 do u guys recommend? I'm hearing great things about it. Is there a particular one that is motorcycle approved?
Best,

JD