Author Topic: Another coolant leak - Could this be normal?  (Read 732 times)

Offline doch22003

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Pending Proc
  • Membership Level: Active
Another coolant leak - Could this be normal?
« on: March 30, 2018, 07:29:02 pm »
So the Concours has obviously spent too much time sitting next to the Norton this winter - it has developed a leak!! There have been about 5 or 6 drops of coolant per day for the last two days sitting on the floor under the left side of the bike, as in the attached photos.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Pleeeease? :??:
Andrew H.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Another coolant leak - Could this be normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:35:22 pm »
Thats looking like a leak I had on my 08. It turned out to be a crack in the overflow res most likely from overtightning one of the bolts.
A little air preasure and soppy water found it since it only showed when it got up to temp.
Yours might be a little easier to find.

Offline doch22003

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:48:42 pm »
I thought about that, but I saw a drop actually come out of that little hole after I wiped the area clean. Puzzling.
Andrew H.

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director

Offline doch22003

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:33:28 pm »
Thanks for the info and the link. The bike will be going to the dealer for service before the season starts, so we will see what they say. Still under warranty.

Oh, does the warranty cover “corruption because I was too close to an old British bike”?  :)
Andrew H.

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 10:50:02 pm »
Oh, does the warranty cover “corruption because I was too close to an old British bike”?  :)

Margaret Thatcher will issue a voucher on your behalf!
"Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races!"
Jay Leno

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 11:19:39 pm »
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/water-pump-49841/

Waterpump shaft seal leaking.

Yep... looks to be the old/new same old thing... if you have warranty, use it for sure....

BUT... those of us with first gen bikes, with no more warranty.... are not totally screwed like we were with the C10's lack of info..

In the kaw Microfiche, they added the parts to rebuild the pump... wow... getting scarey here...
Mechanical (water side) seal #49063-0001
Internal (oil) seal #92049-0752
Housing to engine o ring seal #92055-0771
Housing cap to body seal #92055-0070

Looks fairly simple to refurb, via the diagram on the fiche, pull the pump, remove cap,  remove the outer "e" ringclip from shaft.
Tap out the retaining pin from shaft, and slide out of housing,
Rebuild the shaftnseals
I have NOT pulled one apart yet tho... and I have to think there are 2 roller bearings inside that long snout that inserts into the engine, that the shaft rotates on... question is, until someone does attempt to pull one apart,  what are the actual bearings, and will the shaft slide out or is it pressed into those bearings... time will tell.

Awesome....
Make this sticky please mods... to save the part number searches...
 :) :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:20:26 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 01:02:11 pm »
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/water-pump-49841/

Yep... looks to be the old/new same old thing... if you have warranty, use it for sure....

BUT... those of us with first gen bikes, with no more warranty.... are not totally screwed like we were with the C10's lack of info..

In the kaw Microfiche, they added the parts to rebuild the pump... wow... getting scarey here...

Looks fairly simple to refurb, via the diagram on the fiche, pull the pump, remove cap,  remove the outer "e" ringclip from shaft.
Rebuild the shaftnseals
I have NOT pulled one apart yet tho... and I have to think there are 2 roller bearings inside that long snout that inserts into the engine, that the shaft rotates on... question is, until someone does attempt to pull one apart,  what are the actual bearings, and will the shaft slide out or is it pressed into those bearings... time will tell.

Awesome....

I replaced a water pump on a zx14 I used to own.  At that time you couldn't rebuild but had to buy the whole unit which I did.   Thanks for the info on Kawasaki selling the rebuild parts separately in case I need in the future.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 08:07:29 pm »
I seriously doubt there's a Kawi shop in the world that would "rebuild" the pump.

They'd simply slap a whole new assembly on there, and call it good.

good info here.

Thanks for the responses.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 08:39:31 pm »

Rebuild the shaftnseals

Awesome....

I replaced a water pump on a zx14 I used to own.  At that time you couldn't rebuild but had to buy the whole unit which I did.   Thanks for the info on Kawasaki selling the rebuild parts separately in case I need in the future.

Thanks for sharing that, it prompted me to do due dilligence, and find the breakoff points and p/n changeups... very interesting....
Going by the fiche, I have to assume your ZX was prior to the change in 2014, on an ABS model, serial number prior to ~ZXT40EE015554
(ZXT40EE015553 was the cutoff point),
That is where things changed, well, I don't know if they really changed, but that is the point the water pump build kit appeared...
The pump assembly changed from 49044-0053 to 49044-0010 where the rebuild parts were revealed.. not sure if it made a difference, and doubt it did... all of those rebuild parts ARE exactly the same parts as I noted for building a ZG waterpump up thru today... the ZG pump p/n changed in 2015 from 49044-0006 (prior to 2015) to 49044-0012 (which shows rebuild parts), and continues to present version edition.

Now, with this said, until I have pulled a pre '14 C14 pump, and examined it I have to think its a tossup, maybe buildable, maybe not...

But, both pumps from '15 on, use the same guts.
Visually, the pumps are virtually identical, with the exception of the main housings nipple location on the back, for the air purge function, which prevents cavitation when system is drained and filled... the ZX has a shorter straight nipple, the ZG has a bit longer, and upwardly curved nipple... the rest appears identical...

Again, someone needs to make this info sticky, to save it for future questions and solutions as the bike develops service needs...

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:00 pm »
It was on a 2010 ZX14 that I had the waterpump problem.   I still have the old water pump...don't know why I kept it except for the whole unit looked good and tight except for an o-ring or o-rings.   I guess I'll keep it for a spare for the '10 C14 and '13 ZX14r just in case it is rebuildable.   

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 07:29:46 pm »
Roger,
Check your p/m's...
I'm in Ohio, and would like to talk to you... :great: :beerchug:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 08:16:44 pm »
It was on a 2010 ZX14 that I had the waterpump problem.   I still have the old water pump...don't know why I kept it except for the whole unit looked good and tight except for an o-ring or o-rings.   I guess I'll keep it for a spare for the '10 C14 and '13 ZX14r just in case it is rebuildable.

When did you get that replacement pump?
Just curious as to what actual pump they supplied you with, as the OEM for that year was the -0553 pump, which shows "not available" and doesn't show a "superceded by" part number... they must have suppled the -0010 pump, and o ring, which does clarify it fits... cool...
Price on the -0010 pump shows $244.
As for use on a C14, note I said it had a "slighty different" nipple location and configuration, so it may not be a "direct replacement " on a C14, but I'm sure with an angular barbed hose fitting, and some different hose routing, could be cobbled in there for sure.
Even more odd, is the C14 old pump, -0006 shows it is superceded by the -0012 pump, the cost for the old one is $223.77, and the fost for the -0012 , same part, is $235.00
Rather odd... :rotflmao: