Author Topic: Stuck in 4th gear  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Yellow Dog

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Stuck in 4th gear
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:39:51 pm »
I have a 08 C-14 38000 mi, did an oil change and took a 2800 mi trip with no problems, got home the bike sat for 36 hrs.  I went to ride this AM and the bike is stuck in 4th gear.  Clutch fluid level is full and clutch is working properly.  shiftier lever moves up and down.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Stuck in 4th gear
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »
That could be caused by a broken shifter fork; the bike is not really stuck in any gear it is just that the parts that would move it from the gear it is in are not there.... But I do not believe the fork could have broken without being subjected to excessive force and the rider would have known that when it was happening.

Did you put the bike away in fourth gear? If not, could someone have tinkered with the bike while it was parked? I cannot see how the transmission would have moved into fourth gear without human intervention.

Are you sure it is in fourth gear or are you saying that because that is what the gear position indicator reads? If it is the latter, be aware that the gear position indicators occasionally fail and could report that the bike was in any gear and be incorrect. Have you tried actually riding the bike? Or rocking it back and forth while moving the shift lever?

Brian

I have a 08 C-14 38000 mi, did an oil change and took a 2800 mi trip with no problems, got home the bike sat for 36 hrs.  I went to ride this AM and the bike is stuck in 4th gear.  Clutch fluid level is full and clutch is working properly.  shiftier lever moves up and down.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Yellow Dog

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:02:02 pm »
Bike was in my garage no one could have messed with it.   It may have been in 2nd but its unlikely it was parked in 4th. the gear position indicator reads 4th,  it will move with extra throttle so it may be in 2nd or 3rd.

I did ride it and tried rocking and shifting

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »
We can tell what gear you are in if you note the speed and engine RPM at some point- say, 30 MPH and ??? RPM.

If the bike is in <any> gear, the shift linkage moves fully up and down and nothing at all happens to the transmission, then I would suspect the shifter lever is not actually moving the shifting drum. Check the linkage where it attaches to the shift drum shaft- follow the linkage forward until you see where it is clamped onto a shaft sticking out of the engine. Operate the shift lever and make sure that shaft turns correctly and fully as the shift lever is moved. If it is attached and working correctly, and again the shifter lever moves the correct distance up and down, and the transmission will not change in any way, I would say you have an internal transmission problem that will need to be repaired.

Brian

Bike was in my garage no one could have messed with it.   It may have been in 2nd but its unlikely it was parked in 4th. the gear position indicator reads 4th,  it will move with extra throttle so it may be in 2nd or 3rd.

I did ride it and tried rocking and shifting
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline NascarDave

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10112
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »
You can't just look at the fluid reservoir on these things,you really need to blead it at the tranny.
US bikes-
2003 H-D Fat Boy
1993 H-D UltraGlide
Jap bikes-
2008 Concours
1978 Honda Gold Wing
1975 Suzuki GT250

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:36 pm »
The gear indicator is driven by the sensor on the end of the shift drum, so if the number on the dash isn't changing and the transmission doesn't appear to be attempting to shift, yet the shift lever is moving freely, that would seem to indicate a problem with the shift pawl mechanism, which is external to the transmission. You can see what it looks like on page 9-39/40 of the service manual. It could also be something as simple as a loose clamp bolt on the shift mechanism where it clamps to the end of the shift shaft. I'd probably check that first. The shift drum may also be positioned in just the right spot placing it between two gears where the pawl arm is having a hard time engaging the star wheel.

I wouldn't panic, it may be a simple fix, but if you can't find the problem right away, you'd probably be best off taking it to a dealership and having them look at it.
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:33 pm »
Here are pic's of what Fred is talking about (the images from 9-39 anyway, can't get 9-40 to scan right for some dumb reason)

You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.