Author Topic: Another kipass question  (Read 592 times)

Offline Rcgod

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Another kipass question
« on: October 30, 2017, 04:29:20 pm »
I'm looking at a used 2012 c14, and the owner doesn't have the active fob. Only 1 passive and 1 cloned passive. I've been reading info about getting a new active fob, and getting it programmed. Only confusion I have is this; Can kawasaki register a new active fob by using the passive that I have, or does this require a new ecu as well? 

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Another kipass question
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »
No you don't need to buy a new ecu.  As long as you can turn the ignition on so that the kds can talk to the ecu..you can get a new active fob programmed.(Note there is a caveat: there are only 6 memory slots for active fobs.  Once used a slot cannot be re-used...)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:47:14 pm by AmphibSailor »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Rcgod

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:17:56 pm »
Thank you!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:12:40 am »
Thank you!

But figure it will probably cost you at least $300 to get the new FOB.  I'd be sure to get that factored into the price.  A 2012 should come with one active KiPass FOB and one Key Immobilizer FOB.  You're getting two Key Immobilizer FOBs and that's not a fair trade.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 02:05:38 am »
Thank you!

But figure it will probably cost you at least $300 to get the new FOB.  I'd be sure to get that factored into the price.  A 2012 should come with one active KiPass FOB and one Key Immobilizer FOB.  You're getting two Key Immobilizer FOBs and that's not a fair trade.

Then, after you get that $300 FOB, you want to upgrade to the $10,000 option to have it surgically implanted into a loose fold of skin so you don't lose it, or DIY with a stapler at no extra charge 
:)

I knowed that was what Ted did, cause he's always losing his.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:14:04 am by Harry Martin »
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 05:16:26 am »
....and hopefully you know somebody with a KDS that can program the FOB ID into the ecu....15 minute job that isn't cheap at the dealership.
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Rcgod

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 05:08:10 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I can get the active fob for 215, so I budgeted 300 into the price. Even then the bike is a good deal.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 12:51:20 am »
I would also think about getting the small key that fits inside the active FOB. It has to be ordered separately and cut by a locksmith to match your stove knob, bags, seat and gas cap.

Offline Rcgod

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »
Thank you for the key advice. He gave me a couple spare keys, but I also plan on taking your advice and getting the spare key ordered and cut for the active fob.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 08:02:18 pm »
$215 is an excellent Price for the main fob!!  Hopefully the dealer will know how to program the fob.  He will need all of the keys and the immobilizers.

Be sure to remove the battery from the new main fob after they are done and try to start the bike using the immobilizer function, as sometimes they forget to program that part of it and you won't realize it till someday when your out in the boonies and the bike won't start and you need that function. 

If it takes them more than 15 minutes to do the job than you are in trouble!! 

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 06:37:09 pm »
10 years later and KIPASS is still creating problems for folks. Gotta love it.  :D

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 11:18:35 pm »
 :popcorncouple:

:rotflmao:   How ya' doin' Bob? Hope you and the family are all well, pass along a hello to Cindy.... I think my Andrea and Cindy occasionally [chat? correspond? run into each other?] on FaceTwit but am not sure. Anyway, as I said, hope all is well with you and yours.

Brian

10 years later and KIPASS is still creating problems for folks. Gotta love it.  :D
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rcgod

• Big Wheels
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:49 pm »
For anyone looking for an active fob, partzilla sells them for 215 shipped. I got a quote from the local dealer to program it for $50.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 12:05:38 pm by Rcgod »

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 10:37:01 pm »
Tried to send a PM, but you have me blocked.  :-\  I must have made you mad.  ;D

:rotflmao:   How ya' doin' Bob? Hope you and the family are all well, pass along a hello to Cindy.... I think my Andrea and Cindy occasionally [chat? correspond? run into each other?] on FaceTwit but am not sure. Anyway, as I said, hope all is well with you and yours.

Brian

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 03:38:56 am »
OFFTOPIC:  Yeah, I get that all the time...... you are not blocked, PM's to me are blocked. The reason was back before I had a dedicated web page, I was getting orders from two forums (this is one of them), two e-mail addresses and I just could not keep it all straight. So I blocked PM's on both forums, again not for anyone but globally, just to funnel mail to one e-mail address so I had some slim chance of not making a colossal mess out of back- orders (sending product to people in the wrong order REALLY makes them cranky, and I can understand why). Now I just leave it that way so I do not have to try and keep up with two forum PM's and remember 'who' is 'where' asking about 'what'.

I am easy to e-mail though, always have been, and have not changed e-mail addresses in some time so I <believe> the last one you have is valid, or just hit the icon on the page reading this message.

As to cranky and you, nope, not cranky in the least. Got over that and learned several important lessons along the way.... years ago now. I stopped back in on this forum just to say a friendly 'hello' and see who was around, what was going on and so forth. Actually quite nice to chat with some old friends and very pleasant overall. Which is exactly why I responded to you in this thread- it does not get much more "old times" than you and I in a KiPass thread (I mean that in a 100% humorous way, no barbs or jabs meant at all).  :D

I stop in now and then, do not post much as I usually have little to offer but I do occasionally throw a thought out if I think it may be of some value to someone. Please do feel free to e-mail me, or just post back, either way you prefer if you do want to contact me (or Andrea of course). We try to keep involved a little bit with the local folk and plan on attending the next social lunch in MA with the Habeloys- I think it has been a year or so since we saw the 'usual suspects'. No tech. day this year in MA., so that was a missed social event for us. This next lunch may be interesting because Andrea had minor foot surgery and all is fine and well but the recovery is long and she is gimping along on the one hoof.... we are thinking of ways to get her up the flight of stairs at the restaurant; the classics are always nice, a trebouchet, a leather- belt slingshot and the ultra- reliable loop of rope around her upper body with a few of us dragging her up the stairs (with a pillow under her, er, sitting points of course, we do not want to be mean here). I personally have found a sheet rock screw makes and excellent prod and she can actually be far more mobile than she things she can be if only motivated. Going back down the stairs is always the easy part.  :rotflmao:

Anyway, as I already mentioned, the best to you and yours, and I hope all is well in your corner of the world. All is well enough here, nothing bad enough to complain about at least. Not riding much due to some serious distractions but that too should right itself in the next year or two.

Brian

Tried to send a PM, but you have me blocked.  :-\  I must have made you mad.  ;D

Brian

KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com