Author Topic: Anyone try the Kawasaki Touring Seat?  (Read 44754 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Anyone try the Kawasaki Touring Seat?
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 04:43:27 pm »
mine is on the way, hope I like it as much as I have the stock seat for 100,000 miles
KiPass!

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:02 pm »
It seems like a lot of miles, but I only went a 1/3 as far as Steve on the stock seat.  Mine is on the way too.   
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline 1965soda

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10056
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 12:11:05 pm »
Add me to the list of people who are taking a chance on this seat.  I had a chance to sit on one at the motorcycle show and was pleasantly surprised....but tough to judge after only a couple minutes.  So I have been waiting for a report....thanks ST eater!   

I have about 38k miles on my bike and about 35k miles of that on a re-worked OEM seat (by Spencer at Great Day to Ride).  The changes he made to the OEM seat eliminated the slide into the tank and improved comfort, but on long days (600+ miles) I found the transition from the inserted gel to the reworked foam became noticeable and created discomfort.  Better, but still room for improvement.

I know the bigger full custom seats will provide the best comfort, but similar to Steve's comments, I like the flexibility to move around in the saddle on the occasions I get to twisty roads or even when the road is clear on my commute (and I can enjoy the entrance and exit ramps).  I am also thinking the narrower part of the Kawi Touring Seat may provide some additional options for repositioning when on the slab (i.e. hang a cheek off the seat). 

Thanks again ST eater for the report and for posting the link.  I was able to use the info from that site to have my local dealer order one at the same price.  Should be here in a few days and the ride to Cortez will be a great test.   
Currently in garage: 2011 C14, 2007 FZ1, 2001 M900 S4, 1983 900 Seca, 2002 ZRX1200
Rides of the past: 1986 900 Ninja, 1999 Ducati 900ss, 2002 R6, 2005 FJR, 1998 C10, 1998 VTR1000, 1989 1100 Katana, 1983 CB1100F, 1985 900 Ninja, 1983 900 Seca, 1982 Seca turbo, 1982 CX500 turbo, 1982 750 Seca, 1983 550 Vision, 1974 CB400F, mid 70's Rupp mini-bike :-)

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 02:40:06 pm »
Well I sure hope some of you still have a camera - oh wait don't most phones have a camera?  :)

Then why is it that NO one has posted any pictures for us newer owners that want to see one on an ACTUAL C14 not just of the seat in an ad?

Not all pictures are worth a thousand words - some are worth more.   :))

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 05:49:17 pm »
Sure looks like an ACTUAL C14 to me. ::)
http://www.kawasaki.com/Accessories/Item/ZG1400EFFL/999940500
Most phone-cam postings are not going to be as clear as that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:52:39 pm by Flat-spot »
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline Classvino

• Lifelong Kawi Rider
  • Road Bike
  • Smells wrong... Oh, it's a 4-stroke...
  • COG#: 11233
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 06:07:16 pm »
Might be interested in getting one of these - but need to know if the height is the same (or even better - slightly lower) than the stock seat...

Maybe someone who has one can comment...

Jamie

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 06:12:00 pm »

I'll know friday when I pick mine up, if its a BS deal I just won't purchase it.  But description says its better than stock....
KiPass!

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 06:39:19 pm »

That one is listed at $534 !!!

Others are quoting either $418 or $450 so I'm not sure it's the same EXACT seat.
That and real world images are better then studio shots if you want to know how it holds up after a few rides.
Plus an owner will give you a review - where as when someone is trying to sell you something they will tell you anything you want to hear.   :-\

But with that said I know some people don't know how to use a camera as blurry images show up on forums all the time - and I just have to wonder
if anyone ever told them how to take a picture.  OH I forgot some people know everything and you can't tell them anything.... :'(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 12:22:06 pm by SilverConnieRider »

Offline Old Hand

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 07:18:23 pm »
Might be interested in getting one of these - but need to know if the height is the same (or even better - slightly lower) than the stock seat...

Maybe someone who has one can comment...

Jamie

I found it to be slightly higher than the stock seat, perhaps due to the extra layer of memory foam.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 08:49:40 pm »

Others are quoting either $418 or $450 so I'm not sure it's the same EXACT seat.
That and real world images are better then studio shots if you want to know how it holds up after a few rides.
Plug an owner will give you a review - where as when someone is trying to sell you something they will tell you anything you want to hear.   :-\

But with that said I know some people don't know how to use a camera as blurry images show up on forums all the time - and I just have to wonder
if anyone ever told them how to take a picture.  OH I forgot some people know everything and you can't tell them anything.... :'(

Its the EXACT touring seat. My Kawasaki parts man confirmed my screenshot per the part #, and is matching that price. It'll be here Fri. No one pays "retail" these days
KiPass!

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:51 pm »

Plug an owner will give you a review - where as when someone is trying to sell you something they will tell you anything you want to hear.   :-\

Its the EXACT touring seat. My Kawasaki parts man confirmed my screenshot per the part #, and is matching that price. It'll be here Fri. No one pays "retail" these days

Yep, same EXACT seat.  I don't have one, but earlier in this thread you'll notice that I'm the guy that rode ST eater's new one.  I'll add this,  I thought it was narrower in front, wider in rear, less forward downslope, no difference in reach to the ground, MUCH better quality of foam, non-slip surface that personally didn't bother me because I just lean my torso instead of "hanging off" (which I think is kinda moot on a 700 lb bike). Overall, MUCH better than stock, IMO.
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline navdoc

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 09:31:44 pm »
I'm sure interested in hearing your reviews on this seat.  I'm hoping to find one at a dealer to sit on, but probably I'll end up just buying one. 
That online screen shot looks like a decent price.
2012 Concours Arabian Red
2005 KLR 650

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38:28 pm »
Go back and read the whole thread,  $534 is NOT a good price.  :great:
'08 C14

Offline ST eater

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10456
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 12:59:59 am »
I was surprised at the comments Flat spot  made when he got off my bike, I  kinda thought he would say I was crazy fot buying a factory seat. But like I said before, I haven't gone over 300mi in a day. I was going to the nationals which would've been a great test, but my wife broke her ankle and that put an end to that. So I'll take a couple week trip somewhere in the south. Seat height seems to be stock height,  the front is narrower, should also help in the twisties. Somebody had to be the test dummy, I figured why not me. This is going to be interesting seeing what different people think about this seat.
Rich
2012 Concours
2004 ST1300 sold
1998 ST1100 sold
1991 ST1100 sold
IBA

Offline 1965soda

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10056
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 11:51:28 am »
Hi SilverConnieRider.

Similar to the other posts, I took a screen shot showing the model number and price of the touring seat to my local dealer.  When the parts guy brought it up on the system I asked what the description showed and from he shared, I am pretty confident it is the touring seat ST eater has on his bike.  I can sure take a picture of the seat when it comes in....but not sure how much it would help as my bike is presently in pieces on the lift.   Not sure where you are in the region, but if you are in the area of southeast South Dakota, you are more than welcome to stop by, fit the seat, and take your bike out for a ride. 

I should also extend my note of appreciation beyond just ST eater;  Flat-spot: Your ride report and thumbs up is valuable.  stevewfl:  I know you have not tried the seat but with your experience and extensive miles with the C14 I know you would not even order one with out some level of confidence.  Thanks to you both as well.

Hoping for a happy arse on the way to/from Cortez! 
Currently in garage: 2011 C14, 2007 FZ1, 2001 M900 S4, 1983 900 Seca, 2002 ZRX1200
Rides of the past: 1986 900 Ninja, 1999 Ducati 900ss, 2002 R6, 2005 FJR, 1998 C10, 1998 VTR1000, 1989 1100 Katana, 1983 CB1100F, 1985 900 Ninja, 1983 900 Seca, 1982 Seca turbo, 1982 CX500 turbo, 1982 750 Seca, 1983 550 Vision, 1974 CB400F, mid 70's Rupp mini-bike :-)

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 12:44:29 pm »
Thanks again for the info guys. I ride 1100 mile days on the stocker, I hope when i pick up the new one tomorrow I'll wish I'd have owned it all along.

And as far as slide my body off the seat and this one being stickier, I have silicone spray I sometimes use on track bike seats. Before the mountains this seat may be looking shiny!

2 things you guys posted between pics and comments that made me pull the trigger

1) it is NOT gel
2) the pic appears you don't fall into it like a goldwing seat I can't off off. most aftermarket seats appear to be for straight lines and freeways. nothing wrong with that but not what I'm looking for personally
KiPass!

Online Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 02:13:36 pm »
 I just wanted to respond to an earlier comment about why Kawasaki doesn't just put the upgraded seat on the bike as the base seat.  The answer is marketing. If you look at Harley, they have their own line of accessories and probably make as much money (or more) selling branded farkles as they do selling bike. Farkles are the gift that keeps on giving, if you get my drift... the japanese makers have not really tapped into that philosophy, and in fact Yamaha is the first to do so with the STAR line of accessories. Branded, upgraded accessories from the manufacturers will be more the norm as time moves forward. When you build a bike that last 200,000 miles, you better find another way to separate folks from their money of your bottom line will suffer. Harley has done that to great effectwith bikes that last 1/4 of that and look at the loyal following they have. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »
I recently picked up a used seat on eBay and shipped it out to Mr. Laam in Redding, CA. Looking forward to what he can do for me. Hope to have it back by mid June. The stock seat is just too much even for my cheap a**.  Sorry, I don't have anything to offer on the new touring seat.

Hi,
       Geez! I have to be missing something here! ;D

You guys are going to pay $400+ for a FACTORY seat,when you can get a CUSTOM seat from Seth Laam for $300??? :-[
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2015, 03:45:10 pm »

You guys are going to pay $400+ for a FACTORY seat,when you can get a CUSTOM seat from Seth Laam for $300??? :-[

I personally would not currently send anything to Seth Laam. From what I've read on another forum it appears he is in over his head with seats to redo. He's had one guys for nearly a month and that guy cannot get Seth to answer the phone or respond to him via email of what's going on. I'm not giving my saddle to anyone for a month in the middle of riding season. The rework price could be $30 for all I care and I still wouldn't send it. He'd be far better off just telling people he is extremely busy and tell them they will have to wait to send their seat.

Don't get me wrong, I believe he does excellent work as almost everyone that has had him redo a seat is very happy with it.
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2015, 04:58:32 pm »
I just wanted to respond to an earlier comment about why Kawasaki doesn't just put the upgraded seat on the bike as the base seat.  The answer is marketing. If you look at Harley, they have their own line of accessories and probably make as much money (or more) selling branded farkles as they do selling bike. Farkles are the gift that keeps on giving, if you get my drift... the japanese makers have not really tapped into that philosophy, and in fact Yamaha is the first to do so with the STAR line of accessories. Branded, upgraded accessories from the manufacturers will be more the norm as time moves forward. When you build a bike that last 200,000 miles, you better find another way to separate folks from their money of your bottom line will suffer. Harley has done that to great effectwith bikes that last 1/4 of that and look at the loyal following they have. Steve

Excellent point Steve.  The trend will likely continue.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2015, 06:04:53 pm »

I personally would not currently send anything to Seth Laam. From what I've read on another forum it appears he is in over his head with seats to redo. He's had one guys for nearly a month and that guy cannot get Seth to answer the phone or respond to him via email of what's going on. I'm not giving my saddle to anyone for a month in the middle of riding season. The rework price could be $30 for all I care and I still wouldn't send it. He'd be far better off just telling people he is extremely busy and tell them they will have to wait to send their seat.

Don't get me wrong, I believe he does excellent work as almost everyone that has had him redo a seat is very happy with it.

Hi,
       Hmmmmm....Maybe the Planets were aligned just right but it was only 10 days turn around coast to coast for me! :great:

I guess thinking like a lawyer,Seth being backed up and swamped (a one man business) proves my point! ;D

He does make a fine seat, for a fair price, and completly transformed my bike!, >:D >:D >:D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline JC

• Moped
  • El Paso, TX USA
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2015, 06:29:21 pm »
That touring seat looks almost identical to my 2015, which also has the grippy new surface. And is supposedly narrower in front, and 'improved' over previous seats. And I said 'almost identical' because it looks HIGHER. And not a word about height anywhere in the official description. Taller folks might not notice the difference, but I don't want the seat even a millimeter higher than already is. Only have 70 miles on the bike and will reserve seat judgment until I can do a long trip. But based on the 35-mile ride back home, I don't think I'm going to like the stock seat. I'd also prefer the factory touring seat over an aftermarket one if it comes to needing a different seat... as long as it's not any higher than stock. Hopefully somebody with marginal inseam (31" here) that swaps it can comment on ground reach. Thx.
2015 Candy Lime Green Concours14
MODS: TBR black-series slip-on w/P1 insert, black/heavy Throttlemeister, Grip Puppies, FendaExtenda, radiator grille with fiberglass screening, billet black oil-filler/final-drive caps, CB MiniEuro tinted screen, LED city-lights/rear turn-signals/license-plate lights, no stickers, no reflectors, no badges.

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2015, 06:33:44 pm »
That touring seat looks almost identical to my 2015, which also has the grippy new surface. And is supposedly narrower in front, and 'improved' over previous seats. And I said 'almost identical' because it looks HIGHER. And not a word about height anywhere in the official description. Taller folks might not notice the difference, but I don't want the seat even a millimeter higher than already is. Only have 70 miles on the bike and will reserve seat judgment until I can do a long trip. But based on the 35-mile ride back home, I don't think I'm going to like the stock seat. I'd also prefer the factory touring seat over an aftermarket one if it comes to needing a different seat... as long as it's not any higher than stock. Hopefully somebody with marginal inseam (31" here) that swaps it can comment on ground reach. Thx.

I don't care if its a tad higher or the same, I just don't want "lower" like a "cruiser".  Thats what I see in a lot of aftermarket seats.

I can't tell you if its higher than your stock 15 seat or not with my '10 bike seat.  But if they have a 15 bike on the showroom floor when i pick up my seat tomorrow, I'll try and compare for you  :great:
KiPass!

Offline Jason

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 11271
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:20 pm »
As an extra incentive, enter in coupon code FRSP at checkout and shipping is free. :great:

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2015, 06:47:38 pm »
As an extra incentive, enter in coupon code FRSP at checkout and shipping is free. :great:

NICE info!

A friend works at Kawasaki parts here and matched the online price...  no shipping charges for me to the parts counter  :beerchug:
KiPass!