Author Topic: Anyone try the Kawasaki Touring Seat?  (Read 45906 times)

Offline 1965soda

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10056
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Anyone try the Kawasaki Touring Seat?
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2015, 12:44:46 pm »
Happy Friday COGers!

I wanted to provide a response in regards to the question raised about buying the Kawi seat over the Laam.  Keep in mind this is only my opinion and based on my experiences.  This will probably sound like I am trying to justify my decision....and I guess in a way I am....but I took these things into consideration before making a decision. 

The shape and size of many of the custom seats.  I know the best long distance comfort will be found in a bigger and wider seat.  But I prefer the look and the flexibility to move around more on an OEM sized seat.  The Kawi seat will provide the look and size I am looking for.   
Custom can be....well....custom.  Even people of the same size and with the same farkles will have different goals in a seat.  If it did not work the best for me, I would have to send it back...which could mean more down time.  In the end, if it turned out to not be a good match, selling a custom seat may be a little more challenging.  I am hopeful the one-for-many approach of the Kawi Touring seat will work.  If it does not, I think it would be easier to sell.   
Less fuss, less worry.  I have visited with some of the custom seat makers about the weather proofness of their seats and all have said they recommend a rain cover.  Even the off-the-shelf Corbin and Seargent seats I have tried on previous bikes would get soggy if left uncovered.  Some of the custom seats also need more care to keep them nice.  The leather cover on the Corbin I had tended to get quite tried out during my daily commutes if I did not condition it regularly.  Love the look and feel of the fabric cover options on some of the custom seats, but some bird droppings while at work could make serious mess (in addition to the soggy concern).  OEM seats are generally pretty easy to clean and I have not had one that leaked.  Since Kawi does not include a cover, I expect it will be weather proof. 

Again...just my perspective but I hope it helps explain my decision.   
Currently in garage: 2011 C14, 2007 FZ1, 2001 M900 S4, 1983 900 Seca, 2002 ZRX1200
Rides of the past: 1986 900 Ninja, 1999 Ducati 900ss, 2002 R6, 2005 FJR, 1998 C10, 1998 VTR1000, 1989 1100 Katana, 1983 CB1100F, 1985 900 Ninja, 1983 900 Seca, 1982 Seca turbo, 1982 CX500 turbo, 1982 750 Seca, 1983 550 Vision, 1974 CB400F, mid 70's Rupp mini-bike :-)

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2015, 12:53:34 pm »
Happy Friday COGers!

I wanted to provide a response in regards to the question raised about buying the Kawi seat over the Laam.  Keep in mind this is only my opinion and based on my experiences.  This will probably sound like I am trying to justify my decision....and I guess in a way I am....but I took these things into consideration before making a decision. 

The shape and size of many of the custom seats.  I know the best long distance comfort will be found in a bigger and wider seat.  But I prefer the look and the flexibility to move around more on an OEM sized seat.  The Kawi seat will provide the look and size I am looking for.  
Custom can be....well....custom.  Even people of the same size and with the same farkles will have different goals in a seat.  If it did not work the best for me, I would have to send it back...which could mean more down time.  In the end, if it turned out to not be a good match, selling a custom seat may be a little more challenging.  I am hopeful the one-for-many approach of the Kawi Touring seat will work.  If it does not, I think it would be easier to sell.   
Less fuss, less worry.  I have visited with some of the custom seat makers about the weather proofness of their seats and all have said they recommend a rain cover.  Even the off-the-shelf Corbin and Seargent seats I have tried on previous bikes would get soggy if left uncovered.  Some of the custom seats also need more care to keep them nice.  The leather cover on the Corbin I had tended to get quite tried out during my daily commutes if I did not condition it regularly.  Love the look and feel of the fabric cover options on some of the custom seats, but some bird droppings while at work could make serious mess (in addition to the soggy concern).  OEM seats are generally pretty easy to clean and I have not had one that leaked.  Since Kawi does not include a cover, I expect it will be weather proof. 

Again...just my perspective but I hope it helps explain my decision.

Those two points are exactly where I'm at.  On the second point, if the seat doesn;t work for me when it comes to my parts friend, I'll simply return it  :beerchug:
KiPass!

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2015, 02:17:49 pm »
Hi,
        Well....  I guess we can agree to disagee! :truce:

At the end of the day,it's your bike, your butt, and your money!!! ;D ;D ;D :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline BerndV

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11937
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2015, 02:42:10 pm »
I purchased the Kawasaki touring seat about a month ago and have put about 500 miles on it.  While the seat on the 2015 is actually pretty decent, the touring seat seems to have better support and is quite comfy.  I can definitely state that it eliminates the need for an aftermarket seat.  It has the same low heat absorbing material that the new 2015 stock seat uses, although the texture is different in certain areas.  For a real world price in the low $400 range, it is worth the money IMO. 
Home: Kalispell, MT
My garage:
2015 Kawasaki Concours 14, MC Cruise, V&H CS One, SiSF Flash, Garmin Zumo, EarthX Lithium, etc., etc.
2013 Kawasaki ZX14R, Yoshimura R-77, Ivan Flash, PCV, Rotobox Carbon Fiber Wheels
2016 Mercedes E63 S AMG, AMS ECU Flash, AMS Catless DP's

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 07:38:14 pm »
my parts man called. Seat is waiting for me, it either impresses or gets returned 
KiPass!

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2015, 08:43:36 pm »
my parts man called. Seat is waiting for me, it either impresses or gets returned 

will wait for your feedback. But I want to know how it fairs in a 11+ hour ride and 500+ miles if possible? Otherwise with some monkey butt powder and the stock seat I am fine for those numbers. :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2015, 09:20:47 pm »
Mine should arrive next week for more feedback. No matter how good it is, I'm pretty sure I'll still use the Air Hawk R for the long multi-day trips.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2015, 07:25:07 pm »
GOT IT! 

Great for leaning off of in turns, which was my BIGGEST worry.  I cannot fathom a "cruiser" style seat on my bikes that I sit down into and can't lean off of in the turns.  No restrictions in handling on this seat

Tomorrow I'll be doing a 600+ mile day (I'd like to go further but vising my son in GA and back).  I'll purposely be leaving the Airhawk R on my garage workbench.  If it passes this test for me, its a KEEPER! If not, it goes back

KiPass!

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2015, 12:55:17 am »
GOT IT! 

Great for leaning off of in turns, which was my BIGGEST worry.  I cannot fathom a "cruiser" style seat on my bikes that I sit down into and can't lean off of in the turns.  No restrictions in handling on this seat

Tomorrow I'll be doing a 600+ mile day (I'd like to go further but vising my son in GA and back).  I'll purposely be leaving the Airhawk R on my garage workbench.  If it passes this test for me, its a KEEPER! If not, it goes back

So??? :motonoises:
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2015, 01:00:49 am »
Landon its a KEEPER. 5-star.  And I've balked at aftermarket seats on both the C14 and the KLR before 900 mile days.

Just got home from the 600 mile ride two up, without my airhawk.  I'm really very impressed with the seat, but Teressa raves over it. Apparently to her its a million times the comfort and she said she doesn't slide forward when i hot brake into the turns.

I jokingly said "i don;t see any differences, let's take it back" and she really pushed back on the idea
KiPass!

Offline Nighthawk

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 9678
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2015, 04:03:29 am »
Could some of you guys who have the touring seat post your height/weight. Me being 6'1" & 245 lbs is probably not going to have the same opinion of the same seat as someone who's 5'8"  & 170 lbs. I have a laam seat that I still slide forward on & I can feel the seat pan after about 1.5 hrs & it only gets worse from there. Nothing bad to say about Seth he's more than willing to redo it but I don't want to be without a bike for 2 weeks...
Mark in CT

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2015, 06:34:51 am »
Could some of you guys who have the touring seat post your height/weight. Me being 6'1" & 245 lbs is probably not going to have the same opinion of the same seat as someone who's 5'8"  & 170 lbs. I have a laam seat that I still slide forward on & I can feel the seat pan after about 1.5 hrs & it only gets worse from there. Nothing bad to say about Seth he's more than willing to redo it but I don't want to be without a bike for 2 weeks...
Mark in CT

Finally,  I don't feel completely alone with a Laam seat fail.  I too,  slid forward out of the "pocket" and was in pain in a short time.  He said, "send it back".  I did and I got it back with ZERO change to the shape.
                                                                                      >:(
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2015, 10:59:32 am »
Landon its a KEEPER. 5-star.  And I've balked at aftermarket seats on both the C14 and the KLR before 900 mile days.

Just got home from the 600 mile ride two up, without my airhawk.  I'm really very impressed with the seat, but Teressa raves over it. Apparently to her its a million times the comfort and she said she doesn't slide forward when i hot brake into the turns.

I jokingly said "i don;t see any differences, let's take it back" and she really pushed back on the idea

Thanks for the long ride review in such a short amount of time.  :great:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline ST eater

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10456
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2015, 11:02:45 am »
I'm 5'9" and with gear 200lbs, like I've posted a couple times here, I like this seat almost 3000mi on it now.
Rich
2012 Concours
2004 ST1300 sold
1998 ST1100 sold
1991 ST1100 sold
IBA

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2015, 12:25:51 pm »
You're welcome, and for those who asked I'm 6'1" 190ish.

Seats a keeper, it works for me handling and distance. But as a bonus, surprisingly my passenger is ecstatic with it after a 600 mile day!
KiPass!

Offline JimH_PA

• Scooter
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »
  Not sure if I read this or not....is this a different seat then the new '15's?  I just sat on a new 15 on Saturday and noticed it felt harder then my 10.  Just want to make sure.....thanks.
Jim 2010 (fastest color)Concours ABS
94 Vmax Had for 17 years!
CX 650C,V45 Magna,CX 500C,KZ1000
GPZ550  1982 before they were Ninja's

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2015, 10:44:59 pm »
Thanks for the feedback! One more thing, could someone provide a measurement from pegs to seat? I bought my bike used and it came with a Corbin. I think it may be lower than a stock or the touring seat. With my height I would be interested in more leg room.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:00:04 am by Landon »
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2015, 11:06:41 pm »
  Not sure if I read this or not....is this a different seat then the new '15's?  I just sat on a new 15 on Saturday and noticed it felt harder then my 10.  Just want to make sure.....thanks.

yes, its an "optional" accessory for '15.
KiPass!

Offline navdoc

• Tricycle
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2015, 12:28:57 pm »

Seats a keeper, it works for me handling and distance. But as a bonus, surprisingly my passenger is ecstatic with it after a 600 mile day!

Thanks for the info.  I'm definitely going to get it now after reading the input here.   Do you know what difference there is between the 2015 stock seat and the touring option?  Perhaps there's more of a difference in the passenger section.  I'm certainly hoping to have a good quality experience for my passenger!
2012 Concours Arabian Red
2005 KLR 650

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2015, 12:52:28 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I'm definitely going to get it now after reading the input here.   Do you know what difference there is between the 2015 stock seat and the touring option?  Perhaps there's more of a difference in the passenger section.  I'm certainly hoping to have a good quality experience for my passenger!

I don;t know the difference, my bike is a '10.  Heads up, if you get it from a reputable dealer like my stealership parts guy you can try it and return it if you don't like it.  Also, don't pay retail at Kawasaki, my seat was 400 and a few bux tax.
KiPass!

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2015, 12:35:38 am »
Thanks for the feedback! One more thing, could someone provide a measurement from pegs to seat? I bought my bike used and it came with a Corbin. I think it may be lower than a stock or the touring seat. With my height I would be interested in more leg room.

Anyone???
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red

Offline 1965soda

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10056
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2015, 11:30:32 am »
Hi Landon.

I am finally getting a chance to pick mine up tonight (been at the dealer for over a week).  If someone else does not post in advance of me getting home, I will try to get a couple measurements for you.
Currently in garage: 2011 C14, 2007 FZ1, 2001 M900 S4, 1983 900 Seca, 2002 ZRX1200
Rides of the past: 1986 900 Ninja, 1999 Ducati 900ss, 2002 R6, 2005 FJR, 1998 C10, 1998 VTR1000, 1989 1100 Katana, 1983 CB1100F, 1985 900 Ninja, 1983 900 Seca, 1982 Seca turbo, 1982 CX500 turbo, 1982 750 Seca, 1983 550 Vision, 1974 CB400F, mid 70's Rupp mini-bike :-)

Offline Bigfoot_16

• Crotch Rocket
  • I prefer bikes with more horsepower than noise.
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2015, 01:03:03 pm »

The Corbin saddle is about an inch lower than the stock saddle.
Jim

2015 Concours 14

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. Steve's ECU flash stirs the soul!

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2015, 01:27:21 pm »
My Touring Saddle arrived yesterday.  I snapped two comparison photos.  There is no doubt that the Touring Saddle is higher quality than the stock seat.  The textured panels and stitching look better.  The pillion part of the seat is flatter, and the front of the seat for the rider has a bit more upslope.  There were no issues installing the seat or adding the AirHawk R straps.  I will ride this weekend without the AirHawk and see how comfortable it is. 

Offline Landon

• Scooter
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2015, 06:52:53 pm »
The Corbin saddle is about an inch lower than the stock saddle.

That's a big difference in my opinion. Guess I need to find someone local with a stock or touring seat and see if we can swap for a few hours.

I don't mind the Corbin, its not nearly as bad as some criticize on here. Its not overly hard like most say, but if I could gain that inch back to change my knee position while riding I think it would greatly improve the ride for myself.
Landon
2012 C14 Arabian Red