Author Topic: Area P flash review....sort of. Updated 08/06  (Read 393 times)

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Area P flash review....sort of. Updated 08/06
« on: July 15, 2017, 09:40:18 pm »
I finally got the time to button up the Area P install. I also installed the heat shields I bought at Christmas. It only took quitting my full-time job to get some spare garage time.

First start up sounded amazing! It loped for about 5 seconds and then smoothed out. Perfectly smooth idle with a nice deep tone. Any movement of the happy stick gets an instant rpm increase. No hesitation at all.

And there ends the review 😄

We're getting hammered with rain today. It hasn't rained in a few weeks, so I'm not going to complain. As soon as it dries up, I'll take a ride.

One other thing..... I'd like to go visit the Kawasaki factory and find the little effer that designed the fairing. Then I wanna take a piece of the fairing and beat him over the head for making it so difficult/time consuming to remove and replace.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:59:44 am by Rexter »

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
Re: Area P flash review....sort of.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:46:58 pm »
Well pooey.....can someone move this to the 14 section?

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
Re: Area P flash review....sort of.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 01:58:59 am »
Alright alright.....finally got a chance to ride. I did a 655 mile weekend and ran through just about everything I do when riding.

Highway ride - she purrs like a kitten and pulls like a freight train from any rpm. The first tank had some 85+ mph time and returned 48.6 mpg. The second tank was mostly 70 mph and returned 50.1 mpg. Bags and trunk were all loaded.

Hills - I ran mostly 3rd and stayed off the brakes. When I was I Eureka last year I ran 4th. It seems to carry a bit more speed in higher gears when off throttle. The roads are a little tighter in the hill country, so that prolly accounts for it. I'll be in Eureka in October, so I'll be able to compare it to last year at that time. Mpg was 42.5 in the hills.

Playtime - it pulls from any point and doesn't feel like it drops off even at 11K.  One of the other guys was on an '11, and I would walk away....not run, just walk. I didn't get to do top end, though. The one hard run, I shifted into 4th at 135 mph, and decided to back out since that wasn't in my home area.

Overall, two thumbs up! My previous best mpg was 36.6, so I'll take the 48-50. It also seems to run cooler on the highway.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Area P flash review....sort of. Updated 08/06
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:44:38 am »
  Steve, when comparing a stocker to an area p equipped bike, the power separation starts around 6500 and gets more pronounced as you increase rpm. That area p pipe is really cranking power even between 9 and 10 k, when the stock pipe is done and losing power. OTOH, I have outrun area p bikes at low rpm roll ons with a stock system.  It's all a trade off. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:18:46 pm »
Welcome Rexter. I'm also South Central.
There will be an Aransas and a Big Bend Ride in the next few months.
Come ride with us... Would love to see how that Area P system works...

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Rexter

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 12:15:44 am »
Yo, Ted. I'll be in Eureka Springs 10/10-10/14. The ZRXOA guys go twice a year. Two Wheeled Texans will be there the same timeframe. Let me know on the Big Bend ride.

I'll get to do some comp runs soon, in which we'll do roll-one by gear and rpm range.

I'm very happy with the set-up. The only thing I need to do now is take some slack out of the throttle.