Author Topic: Attempted Theft  (Read 1036 times)

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
Attempted Theft
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:23:18 am »
Someone tried to steal my C-14 from the parking garage at my office here in Dallas. I've been parking the C10 and later the C14 there for the past 6 years with zero problems until Tuesday morning. I went out at lunch to run some errands and found both side cases had been forced open. My helmet and gloves were gone. I checked the stove knob and sure enough it had been forced to the ON position. The battery cover was also messed with and the after market horn wire was ripped out. They also took my tire gauge and the insurance papers I keep in my tank bag. I could care less about the helmet but the gloves were my favorites. I've had those for 14 years. I'll be taking the stove knob out all the time now. I became complacent about doing that and the bad guys thought they had an easy one. I spoke with security and they were going to check tape.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline kv5e

• Roll miles, Keep smiles
  • Crotch Rocket
  • TARKUS - Texas Bad Boy
  • COG#: 5063
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Attempted Theft
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 10:29:17 am »
Just wait until they pick it up and cart it off in the back of a pick up truck.  Once they realize they can't start it without the FOB they dump in back of a Northern Tools store dock.

I installed a gate on the rear entrance driveway after that and have video cams now.

Hopefully they receive "justice" Texas style some day Mr. Moore.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 11:35:51 am »
Well that sucks, always someone to spoil the party. I am kind of surprised they could even force the key on, there's a ratchet in the stove key and I would have expected it to "give" and let let the knob rotate before anything else turned. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 12:16:23 pm »
Had my car broken-into twice in the parking garage at work, in a northern suburb in Atlanta.

Then, had my bike stolen from my Apartment Parking garage (secured) a few years later, and that was about 1/4 mile from the work garage.   :-[

Seeing a pattern here??

sorry for the trouble.  That sucks.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:07:03 pm »
Well that sucks, always someone to spoil the party. I am kind of surprised they could even force the key on, there's a ratchet in the stove key and I would have expected it to "give" and let let the knob rotate before anything else turned. Steve

likely the "knob" turned, but the key didn't... and the wratchet mechanism is now destroyed.... bummer, $20+ new knob...

last year I met a local guy, that had the same issue occur, and told him (not a COG member), how to get the key out, as it was a painfull thorn for him...

only reason anyone would steal a C14, is if someone needed parts specifically... and it was on a "criminal hot sheet" ... and even then, 4-6 guys with a couple 2x4's stuck thru the wheels, and hefted into a truck, is the fastest way, without spending 20 minutes destroying the damned bike onsite...

seriously burns me up seeing this... :'( :41: :41: :41: :violent-smiley-007: :violent-smiley-007:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 12:07:32 am »
It’s a big underground garage with multiple levels. I’m going to start varying my routine and will be taking the Stove knob and my new Shoei up to my office with me. It’s a secured garage with gates so someone will have to let the truck in and then they have to find my bike. No more complacency for me.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10420
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 03:24:15 pm »
Sorry to hear about thieves messing with your life.
When I was a young man, someone stole my 500 Suzuki. The thief had successfully hot-wired it. I must of foolishly left the steering unlocked. Fortunately for me, the reason I left it at work was the headlight had burned out. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as they dumped it in an alley a few blocks away and the cops found it.
Another time someone stole the headlight off my 250 Suzuki when I was a 17 year old dishwasher and had to wash a lot of dishes to replace it. No one has touched my last 2 bikes but someone apparently tried the car door as the alarm went off at 3 am parked just 2 feet away from my 2015.
Anyone who buys "suspect" parts is no friend of mine and should be dealt with severely.

15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 09:26:13 am »
I pulled up the local craigslist to see if my helmet showed up for sale but I guess they aren't taking that route. Scummy thieves lurking in the shadows always lurking...You can't let your guard down and I did. They were concerned the bike might be alarmed which is why they messed with the battery box. I also found the spade connectors on my two horns yanked out. I'm thinking about getting an alarm.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 12:35:36 pm »
I grew up in an area that you never locked anything, then I mover to Saint Petersburg Fl  >:(

That's why I moved to Naples I can't live among thieves, I was at church 1991, left a $1,200. bag phone under the seat of my 1969 Buick Skylark ... gone.

That was the last straw within two years I sold four pieces of property  :(

Moved to Naples .
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Salish14

• Salish14
  • Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12507
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 09:44:51 pm »
Really sorry. I grew up in Los Angles where anything not guarded with a machine gun is gone in moments. Then I lived in the Bay Area where anything not bolted down and guarded with a machine gun is gone. Since those times I've lived in the PNW on islands where no one even locks their cars or their houses and I've not had anything stolen in decades. It's the rain, thieves don't like to get wet :))
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

2008 ABS Silver with 26,000 and counting

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 10:47:21 am »
Really sorry. I grew up in Los Angles where anything not guarded with a machine gun is gone in moments. Then I lived in the Bay Area where anything not bolted down and guarded with a machine gun is gone. Since those times I've lived in the PNW on islands where no one even locks their cars or their houses and I've not had anything stolen in decades. It's the rain, thieves don't like to get wet :)) sign says IS THERE LIFE AFTER DEATH?  Trust pass here and find out

Don't fool yourself  I live in rule Pierce County it's a meth meca rain or shine a meth maggot will steal anything and anything. We have large intimidating dogs and I let it be well known crazy Marine with guns and backhoes that doesn't call 911 :violent-smiley-007:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:50:54 am by Grant »
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Daboo

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12797
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 02:29:13 pm »
One of my theft prevention strategies has been to park next to a more desirable bike.  The idea being that thieves would steal the other guy's bike and not mine.  I'd park my bike next to yours, and know mine was safe.  I'm not sure what you can do though with a Connie...  ;)

A red flag to me was them taking your insurance paperwork.  Does that include your address?  If so, they know that when you are at work, you're not at home.

Chris
IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Offline luv2fly

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 06:09:02 pm »
One of my theft prevention strategies has been to park next to a more desirable bike.  The idea being that thieves would steal the other guy's bike and not mine.  I'd park my bike next to yours, and know mine was safe. 

Chris

THIS!  Years ago I was riding my V65 Sabre and parked next to a new dresser Harley at a hotel.  Had one of those cable locks I ran through the rear wheel/frame.  Hill Jack redneck laughed  and sneered at me "That thing ain't gonna stop no thief from stealin' that ricer!"

Simply replied, "I'm not trying to make it impossible to steal, just harder to steal than your Harely.  I appreciate parking next to you!"  Old boy got serious REAL quick and wasn't laughing when I strolled inside smiling.
Loud pipes save lives but helmet laws suck - Its a safety issue

Offline Pilgrim

• Road Bike
  • '12 Black
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 09:53:41 pm »
One of my theft prevention strategies has been to park next to a more desirable bike.  The idea being that thieves would steal the other guy's bike and not mine.  I'd park my bike next to yours, and know mine was safe. 
Chris
THIS!  Years ago I was riding my V65 Sabre and parked next to a new dresser Harley at a hotel.  Had one of those cable locks I ran through the rear wheel/frame.  Hill Jack redneck laughed  and sneered at me "That thing ain't gonna stop no thief from stealin' that ricer!"
Simply replied, "I'm not trying to make it impossible to steal, just harder to steal than your Harely.  I appreciate parking next to you!"  Old boy got serious REAL quick and wasn't laughing when I strolled inside smiling.

Honda did a great thing by building an antitheft feature into those V65 Magna/Sabres.   It was a thick steel braided cable with a fiber optic cable in the center.  An alarm would go off when the cable was cut.  The acronym was FOIL.  It had a separate 9V battery.  (I miss my V65 Magna sometimes)

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 12:41:49 pm »
Update: Went to get gas this morning.
They trashed the lock cylinder on my gas cap.
I can’t open it.

Update of the Update: I got the lock cylinder working. Graphite and working the key in and out until it suddenly went all the way in. Seems to be working normally now.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:45:42 pm by C. Moore »
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 11:42:44 am »
Update: Went to get gas this morning.
They trashed the lock cylinder on my gas cap.
I can’t open it.

Update of the Update: I got the lock cylinder working. Graphite and working the key in and out until it suddenly went all the way in. Seems to be working normally now.

thats good news.      A lot of guy take the hidden screw under the cap out just in case something like this happens.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Deanc

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10429
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 05:32:48 pm »
Jerks!
Theft is another reason I don't take my bike to work; the main reason I don't take the bike to work of course is the chaotic driving habits of the local Dallas populace...
2011 C14 Silver, Canyon Cages, Leo Vince SBK exhaust, Sargent seat, SISF Evolution Flash, etc.
Sold: 2006 C10, 2 MM, SISF torque cams, Overflow Tubes, Murph Tip over bars & pegs, Rifle, Spencer Seat,  etc...  COG#: 10429