Author Topic: Axle won't go into fork  (Read 454 times)

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12697
  • Membership Level: Active
Axle won't go into fork
« on: February 24, 2018, 02:23:26 pm »
Help!  I got my forks back from Traxxion and I can't get the axle into the lower forks.  I've loosened the pinch bolts as far as they can go.  Any suggestions?   :-[

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
Re: Axle won't go into fork
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »
Go in from the other side?
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:05:11 pm »
Twist the lower legs out of alignment then try inserting it into just one side. Then try the other side. Does the nut fit? Does the nut fit in both sides?  Are you sure they sent back the same forks?
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:17:34 pm »
they are my forks but neither the axle nor the nut will go in

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:55:43 pm »
Try prying them apart from below with a large flat screwdriver or a small crow bar. You could use 2 screwdrivers coming in from the bottom and prying that way. Pry one driver up and the other down at the same time in the slots.

I bet they cinched down the pinch bolts during the process and squeezed them together when they are supposed to be spread out. Sounds drastic, but worth a shot?
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:41:28 pm »
I guess removing the pinch bolts prior to sending them out would be a good idea, I bet they tightened them down because they were afraid they might get lost somehow? Seems odd though because thats what they do, suspensions and should have known better. thats is if that was the case and not you who tightened them down before shipping?
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • I am what I am and that's all that I am!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 04:48:20 pm »
Doc,
Lots of good ideas covered, here in a previous thread..
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.  

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 07:05:29 pm »
Sounds like the only option you have is to spread the axle opening. Be gentle but firm. I've done this lots of times but never on a C14. Remove the bolts and gently tap a flat head screwdriver in from the bottom. It shouldn't take much but will feel like you're going to break something. Be gentle and it should be fine. If you have a short wide screwdriver that would be best. Start with the nut (L/H) side and leave it in then go for the axle side. When you get the axle to fit leave the screwdriver in until the wheel is installed and the axle is all the way in. Snug tighten the axle into the nut then pull the screwdriver and torque the nut. Don't forget to apply a thin coat of axle grease on the nut and axle. Bounce the bike up and down a few times before evenly and in steps tightening and torquing the pinch bolts.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 07:29:09 pm »
I like your idea for sure. That will widen the gap.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 08:10:36 pm »
Yeah from the photos, theres not nearly enough of a gap at the bottom.

Soft metal.  Be careful.

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 08:23:41 pm »
Sounds like the only option you have is to spread the axle opening. Be gentle but firm. I've done this lots of times but never on a C14. Remove the bolts and gently tap a flat head screwdriver in from the bottom. It shouldn't take much but will feel like you're going to break something. Be gentle and it should be fine. If you have a short wide screwdriver that would be best. Start with the nut (L/H) side and leave it in then go for the axle side. When you get the axle to fit leave the screwdriver in until the wheel is installed and the axle is all the way in. Snug tighten the axle into the nut then pull the screwdriver and torque the nut. Don't forget to apply a thin coat of axle grease on the nut and axle. Bounce the bike up and down a few times before evenly and in steps tightening and torquing the pinch bolts.

Success!  A few bad words and patience got it to go.  Thanks so much to everyone for the quick replies!

Offline Deepsea

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 08:37:22 pm »
 :) :) :) :)

Glad it worked out. Ride hard, ride safe.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 11:26:50 pm »

Success!  A few bad words and patience got it to go.  Thanks so much to everyone for the quick replies!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: