Author Topic: Bag mishap  (Read 789 times)

Offline Steampunk Barnstormer

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Bag mishap
« on: August 09, 2018, 06:59:45 pm »
Hey COGers,

About a month ago, I was on the return leg of a trip from my town to KC, MO, about 700 miles each way.  I left in the late afternoon and was on my way to Wichita to spend the night.  I was on the Kansas Turnpike for a brief period of time when someone in a Hyundai pulled up next to me and gestured vigorously toward the back of my bike, pointing at it with purpose.  I looked back and saw that BOTH of my hardbags were GONE!

I will spare you the long story; turns out someone delivered them to a State Trooper, who randomly located me on an exit ramp, where I had stopped (after giving up the search for the bags) to get my hotel zeroed in re: ramp #, etc.  Miracles never cease.

The bags are all beat to sh*t now, of course, having fallen off my 08 at speed.  It was a stroke of luck for which I am still grateful, but which I still am clueless about how it happened. I have seen others' posts about pinning, etc., to prevent this from happening, but the bags fit back on the bike just fine, and I have made another 1k mile trip without issues.  WTF?  I took all the blame for the incident, figuring that I had had a long week of consulting work and was really worn thin when I left KC, and figured that I made a critical mistake somewhere in loading them.  But now, I am convinced that I didn't.  I can say that the bags were VERY HEAVILY loaded, and also crammed full, which may have influenced their "performance."  But HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?
--Steampunk Barnstormer
We are social creatures to the inmost centre of our being.  The notion that one can begin anything at all from scratch, free from the past, or unindebted to others, could not conceivably be more wrong. --Karl Popper (1972)

Offline MizzouMike

• Crotch Rocket
  • "I'm like a rain magnet"
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 8862
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Bag mishap
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:18:31 pm »
Wow, that is amazing!  I have no earthly idea how, but it was nice that you got your stuff back!
2000 Concours - "Red Foxx -2"
2013 HD Ultra Classic "Queen B"
AMA, COG, IBA

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:38:17 pm »
There was a spasm of early C-14 bags suddenly flying off. Someone (MOB?) figured out how to pin them and a guy I ride with also uses the heavy rubber coated tie wraps that you buy at Harbor Freight as double protection. Later models (don't know which) have a re-designed latch but most guys pin or tie them or both. Sorry to hear about that but at least you got them back.  One of mine popped open and I lost my rainsuit. That sucked.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:31:44 pm »
Could you have put them on backwards? There are pics on how to do this by accident.
If one goes on backwards, it forces both of them to be same, then one good bump and... :(
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:00 pm »
Could you have put them on backwards? There are pics on how to do this by accident.
If one goes on backwards, it forces both of them to be same, then one good bump and... :(

nooooooo.... seriously?????
 :)) :)) >:D :)) :))

yes, they can be installed backwards, as MUZZY found, selling stuff they didn't have a clue on, to people, for a bike the stuff was never supposed to have the parts they sold...

but, I digress....

having the bags loaded 'heavy', is actually better and more resistant to loss... it takes a lot to dislodge a bag with 40# in it... which I carry frequently...

The pinning is very invisible, but in hindsight, well.... if you buy new bags, you might want to do it...
as for my real question:
it's an '08..... I had long deep conversations with "the powers that be, at Kawasaki Corp", over this issue on it's second recorded appearance here... which resulted (a few months later) in a "recall" to retrofit different bag latches for free, to preclude the issue with the original latches...(the originals were RED, replacements are ORANGE)... and also, the addition from that point on, of an "instruction sticker" on the bags, explaining the method for 'looking at them to insure they reallllly are latched... with diagrams even...

were your latches ever repaired under the recall?, if not, and if you are a second hand owner, you "MAY", and I stress 'may', be entitled to some assistance from Kaw, for replacement, as the 'recall notice' was a non-time/mileage recall... and transferred between all owners of the bike.

so, which latches you got, Orange, or RED, ?
I'll also add, even if you have Orange latches, no telling if they installed the replacements correctly, they are oriented by the side which they should be installed, but as they fit the same recess, they CAN (and have been, I've seen this) installed on the opposite bag, which prevents 'full and proper latching' to occurr...
the latches, when installed correctly, have the key hole location towards the front of the bike, with the latching handle to the rear... if the keyhole is to the rear, they are not installed on the correct sides, and need to be reversed...
So, if you have the bags, and they are actually reversed, as an 'incorrect install of warranty/recalled service', I'm thinking when it's pulled up on the computer (it's all in there if changed out), they can dispense a new set of bags to you, free of charge, on the fault of the dealership that did the recall 'repair'...

crossed fingers...
ride safe, pin 'yer bags.

funny picture from MUZZY below, from their website... it was a photo to show their 'fender eliminator/license plate holder, and their headers... note the bags, and the lower 'saddle retainer' (where I devised the pinning thing, and applied it) on the rear of the bags... which are on backwards....should have been called the "automatic bag eliminator/ejector system"...what a bunch of Marooons... they went out of business, so it don't really matter.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:46:22 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 09:31:47 pm »
Check to see if the middle latch is orange. If it is, the recall for this has been done. That doesn't mean it can't happen but for both to fly off at the same time, I'm betting you put them on backwards.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 09:52:57 pm »
Check to see if the middle latch is orange. If it is, the recall for this has been done. That doesn't mean it can't happen but for both to fly off at the same time, I'm betting you put them on backwards.

got ya by ONE minute... bwaaahaaaaahaaaaa...
 but orange don't mean the latches were retrofited to the correct bag.....by the 'tech' that had them sitting on the bench..outta the bags, .before lunch break, and a doobie
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 10:11:52 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:48:11 am »
True dat!

BTW - I saw a C-14 at the motorcycle show a couple years ago with the bags on backwards. Not in the show, but someone rode it there.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:29 pm »
...."lunch break, and a doobie"....  :rotflmao:

I have mine DOUBLE pinned -- so I have Zsteve's vinyl coated latch bars, AND I drilled my lower mount point and put a baled retention pin through 'em.

They're not going ANYWHERE.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:33:54 pm »
...."lunch break, and a doobie"....  :rotflmao:

I have mine DOUBLE pinned -- so I have Zsteve's vinyl coated latch bars, AND I drilled my lower mount point and put a baled retention pin through 'em.

They're not going ANYWHERE.

gr

hey..... I actually worked a second job (to cover my costs for racing), in a Bike Shop, back in the 70's.... soooooo.... yeah... :-X :truce:
 :)) :-X :-X
40 + years later, I'm waiting till I can walk into a store, and by some good stuff, legally, with a doctor's prescription... probably my head would explode, as times have changed.....

ahhhhhhh.... the good old days....
yeah...
https://youtu.be/Ua9IRQpHkWA

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 11:49:41 pm »
Yall got me thinking here so I tried to put my bags on backward. No go . Its an 08 with the orange and diagrams ect.
 I could get them on backwards but cannot fold the handle down to latch.
 What could happen? The bags can be installed with out a key and the handle will fold down. Not all the way but enough that in a hurry they could be mistaken for latched. Not saying this is what happened in this case but it could happen . They wont come off until a bump makes the handle jump up .Thus not latched anymore. Then another good bump and the bags are airborne.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 01:59:50 am »
From another thread...
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/broken-latch/msg562290/#msg562290

Never got an answer on this.

This is why I believe plastic is only good for spacers.
How much stress can these plastic latches take before they break resulting in flying bags?
Install the bag backwards without the latch, and they fit rather nicely.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"
Freelance Cartoonist & Illustrator: Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book

Offline Jeff

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12267
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 05:43:57 am »
Sorry to hear about your mishap.  I wish there were a more adamant section about pinning your bag.  About 4 years ago, I remember seeing something about pinning bags and thought that the issue must have been resolved.  My bike, being a 2012 surely must be fine. I was wrong.  Just a small ride from Minneapolis to home, 35 miles and surprised to see I was missing a bag when I pulled into the driveway.  Back tracked for 20 miles hoping to luckily find the missing bag to no avail.  Called the Minnesota dmv and state police to let them know I was looking for it.  Nothing ever turned up. At this point I was extremely  pissed at Kawasaki as I started to do more searching and realizing it was a pretty common offence.   After a heroic fight and MOB calling me a cry baby, I gave up and ended up ordering an after market replacement for $400 on ebay.  The good news is you recovered your bags and I am pretty sure you can replace the painted skins for a reasonable price.  Wish you all the best, and for the record both my bags are pinned now. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 10:20:53 pm »
Sorry to hear about your mishap.  I wish there were a more adamant section about pinning your bag.  About 4 years ago, I remember seeing something about pinning bags and thought that the issue must have been resolved.  My bike, being a 2012 surely must be fine. I was wrong.  Just a small ride from Minneapolis to home, 35 miles and surprised to see I was missing a bag when I pulled into the driveway.  Back tracked for 20 miles hoping to luckily find the missing bag to no avail.  Called the Minnesota dmv and state police to let them know I was looking for it.  Nothing ever turned up. At this point I was extremely  pissed at Kawasaki as I started to do more searching and realizing it was a pretty common offence.   After a heroic fight and MOB calling me a cry baby, I gave up and ended up ordering an after market replacement for $400 on ebay.  The good news is you recovered your bags and I am pretty sure you can replace the painted skins for a reasonable price.  Wish you all the best, and for the record both my bags are pinned now.

I don't believe I made a comment like that... I only shared some wisdom, and It didn't cost $400

so, sorry if you found something I said, to set you off... years ago. I'm not seeing it.
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/bounce-go-my-bags/msg605197/#msg605197

simple easy and cheap, just like we COG people seek for a solution.

ride safe, and please don't 'dis' me, without reason.

Offline Jeff

• Bicycle
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 07:32:57 pm »
MOB, that is the wrong thread, but no worries.  I did find a new aftermarket bag on ebay for $400.

Offline Ken

• Skinman
  • Bicycle
  • Retired fireman, Vietnam, 101st ABN. 2/17 CAV
  • COG#: 11782
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 02:45:14 am »
Asking if this sounds familiar. This just happened to my left bag. Starting out in the morning bag unlocked, opened and closed, locked back. Nothing out of the ordinary.
Got off bike in Maggie Valley went to open bag, again unlocked normal and opened. Then on locking back the handle did not seat back into position. Key would not turn to lock. Had to forcefully press the handle down to turn key to lock. One end of the handle will not go completely down. Does not look secure. Took to my dealer Tuesday so show service and ask about any repair. They had it for about 30 minutes trying to figure it out. They called about it and no one had an explanation so replacing under warranty. Were yours locking and unlocking normal? 

Offline Phil

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 05:25:17 pm »

I don't believe I made a comment like that... I only shared some wisdom, and It didn't cost $400

so, sorry if you found something I said, to set you off... years ago. I'm not seeing it.
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/bounce-go-my-bags/msg605197/#msg605197

simple easy and cheap, just like we COG people seek for a solution.

ride safe, and please don't 'dis' me, without reason.

:s_hi:

Offline Jeff

• Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 06:30:18 pm »
What do you know MOB...…, I was right and you were wrong. ;D.  I knew you would find it.  Back to the topic, I bought the aftermarket Mutazu Hard Pannier Saddlebag off ebay for $400.  It doesn't look to bad, but up close you can tell it is aftermarket.  It functions fine though.  You will also have to handle a seperate key just for the bags. It did take many months before the had the black saddlebag in stock. Not sure about other colors.  They also sell just the skins on ebay for $40.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 06:55:18 pm »
What do you know MOB...…, I was right and you were wrong. ;D.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2 years is a long time... so, as I DID say, "I'm sorry if something I did, set you off...", I do apoligize for not going thru every bag loss/pinning thread end to end.
yes, that picture was a breakdown in my humor attempt,  :rotflmao:
but the picture was done in jest, and was more about the "everyone should write a letter to the NHTSA, and complain thing"
(if you would have shown quoted the picture, I would have apologized sooner,,,)
 :truce: :truce: :great: :truce:

Did you ever get a response from them, (NHTSA)? or did you just decide it wasn't worth the letter?

I've sent letters like you suggest for some other mechanical issues on vehicles in the past, and they did respond, so I was curious.
Glad you got yours all sorted out, and found replacements for the ones that fell off.
Ride safe,

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2018, 12:59:39 am »
Good info Rich. I have a 2012, and of course, the orange tabs, but my bike's PO pinned them, and I always use the pins also.
Takes a few extra seconds to remove the bags, but it's worth for the extra peace of mind.