Author Topic: bag pinning...re-dux  (Read 14557 times)

Online ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: bag pinning...re-dux
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2017, 01:00:37 am »
So, I finally bought some hitch pins at Home Depot this weekend of the 1/4" x 2" variety.
Even though I've had Szteve's Pins on my bags since nearly day1 of ownership, I simply felt like "double-pinning" my bags to make ULTRA
certain that they NEVER fly off....call me crazy. (Shut-up MOB!)

I know that i'm kind of particular and take my time installing things, but you guys that install these things in 5 minutes are seriously IMPATIENT!  Took me several hours to get it exactly the way I wanted.

Pics attached, as nobody else had pics of THIS particular install.

..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2017, 03:51:29 am »
 :)) :))

You ain't crazy Nate, that's just called "positive" protection...

Sorry my pics aren't available, I'll upload some tomorrow, showing what I had when I started this all... photophuket site hosed us all...

I wish they had the 3/16" pins at Lowes and other stores... seems the smallest they carry are the 1/4" ones, which are 3x more than needed as far as retention strength goes... the ones I originally used were 3/16" from McMaster Carr, and even those are robust...
Trickiest part of the install initially, was deciding just where to drill, and did take a couple minutes to locate the "sweet spot" between the 2 screws that hold the plastic puck the bag centers on, without drilling into the screws... 1/4" pins make it a really tight fit, that's why I did the 3/16", and truthfully, if I was to start from scratche again, on fresh bags, I would use a 1/8" pin, just as its easier to locate between those existing screws....

Thanks for posting your pics...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Online ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2017, 12:01:20 pm »
:)) :))

You ain't crazy Nate, that's just called "positive" protection...

Sorry my pics aren't available, I'll upload some tomorrow, showing what I had when I started this all... photophuket site hosed us all...

I wish they had the 3/16" pins at Lowes and other stores... seems the smallest they carry are the 1/4" ones, which are 3x more than needed as far as retention strength goes... the ones I originally used were 3/16" from McMaster Carr, and even those are robust...
Trickiest part of the install initially, was deciding just where to drill, and did take a couple minutes to locate the "sweet spot" between the 2 screws that hold the plastic puck the bag centers on, without drilling into the screws... 1/4" pins make it a really tight fit, that's why I did the 3/16", and truthfully, if I was to start from scratche again, on fresh bags, I would use a 1/8" pin, just as its easier to locate between those existing screws....

Thanks for posting your pics...

And TOUCHE' Ser!  :beerchug:

I TOTALLY agree with everything you said, but didn't want to clutter my post with too many observations.  But fair to say, I went back and looked at everybody's pin sizes before I went to home depot, and still couldn't find pics since photosuckit wiped everything off the map -- the majority used the spring-ball-detent at 3/16" like you did.  I wasn't convinced this was the best choice of Pin, so I went with the Hitch pin, and fold-over bale.

You are correct though....1/4" Pin is complete overkill, and given the location and the metal (aluminum) within the bag mount point, 1/8" pins would be MORE than enough to secure the bags.  However, the corresponding length of the retention bale on the HITCH Pins wouldn't be long enough to fold-over the bag mount point, necessitating the use of an overall larger diameter Pin. I ALMOST went up one size, but the Pin was just TOO big.
As it was, the bale 1/4" pin BARELY fit over the mount point, and required me to shave-down the raised edges of the plastic molding on the forward mounting "guides" of the bags.  This may have somewhat weakened the overall rigidity of those mount points, but I think I should be fine, given the overall lack of torsional forces on those pieces.
I DO wonder what will happen to those if I ever go down in a fall, however....but that really wont matter by that point anyway.

The bags BARELY budge now, even with the main lock on the bag disengaged.  It's feasible to think I could ride all day with the lock disengaged, and still keep the bags in place with this pinning.
Once I realized this, I decided to ditch Zteve's Rubber coated brackets, but then later thought two retention brackets is COMPLETE insurance!
Overall, I'd have to say, if you want a no-drill, 100% effective bag retention solution: buy Zteve's brackets.
They're a bit finicky, and easy to lose, but they worked as advertised for me for nearly 20K miles.

Why would you Chance losing your bags when such Inexpensive solutions exist??  If you haven't done either of these solutions, you have no excuses when your bag falls off!

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...