Author Topic: Battery Dead - How to Push Start with KiPass  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Rob9876

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Battery Dead - How to Push Start with KiPass
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 12:33:46 pm »
In the interest of science I'll post this update:  It's been over a year now and I've had no issues after just jump-starting it one time.  I don't do anything with the battery (no trickle-charge, etc.) other than ride it.  Luckily, I live where I can usually ride at least once a week during winter and it rarely gets below freezing.

I do carry a jump starter with me on out of town trips, just in case.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 02:04:47 pm »
Just an FYI on a ride earlier this year we had a COG who was having a battery issue, we had to push start he bike every time we stopped. Push starting worked fine but his bike eventually died and he had to drop from the ride. An after thought that was brought up later would have most likely allowed him to finish the ride would have been to unplug his headlights the first time we had to push start him.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline JPlug

• Tricycle
  • Don't let time slip by......Life's too short!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 05:35:44 pm »
I have a 2016 C-14 and earlier this year I left the ignition on when I went inside a restaurant by mistake. I asked a couple that was sitting next to me if they wouldn't mind charging my bike with their car's cigarette lighter outlet.(I used my battery tender leads) After about 10 minutes I was able to use Keypass and my instruments came to life, but the starter could not turn the engine over. The couple were visiting from Spain and were very nice and he rode dirt bikes in his country. Lucklily he was in great shape and push started my bike. I initially tried 2nd gear, but it would only go in 1st. When I finally got home I tried to charge the battery, but the battery tender fuse was blown. I suspected that when I tried to start the bike while charging from the cigarette outlet, it drew too much amperage and blew the fuse.
Since then, I installed 10 gauge battery tender leads with no fuse and I carry a small portable lithium ion jump starter.

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 03:36:36 pm »
Coggers,
Well, yesterday I parked my bike outside a building and forgot to turn it off.  I was in there for about 45 minutes and when I came out to leave, the bike was DED, dead.  I had changed the original battery out to a Shorai Lithium about 6 months ago, been very happy with it.  Pulled the covers off to get access to the pos. batt. terminal and gnd and got jumped by a guy in an FJ Cruiser. He did not have to start his vehicle, I just waited about 10 seconds and the bike turned on, cranked and started.  I just idled it while we were putting away the cables and bike covers. Had to reset all the options (screen level, language, clock) The lithium charges fast.  Rode toward home, stopped for gas, and the bank turning the engine off each time, over an ~18 miles trip with no issues.  I put it on the trickle charger over night to make sure that I had a full load of electrons and it appears to be good to go.
This is what happens when I deviate from my start up and shut down checklist procedure...lol
Cheers!
Gilbysan
gilbysan

β€œIn theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra