Author Topic: Battery issues again....  (Read 914 times)

Offline mms

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Battery issues again....
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:06:27 pm »
So I noticed that the battery on my bike seems to loose charge fairly easily. I purchased a new one about 9 months ago and I keep it on a trickle charger most of the time I am not riding. I went on to Pine Creek Gorge, PA. Pulled off on the side of the road to take a picture and check out the map. The run switch was off, but the key was in the on position for about 10 - 12 minutes. So the headlights were on.  Tried to start the bike and it would not go. I pushed the bike up a big hill and jumped it and it fired right up. Within 2 minutes I checked the battery and it read 14.2. Camped overnight and the bike again started right up the next morning.

This happened to me with the old battery as well.  It is very easy to turn off the run switch with the bike key still in the on position. It is unusual that the battery could be depleted enough so the bike will not start if the key is in the on position for 10 minutes?

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Battery issues again....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:55:56 pm »
9 months seems like a VERY quick time to failure.  But just to be certain, I'd take the battery to a shop and have it load tested.  It's possible, though unlikely, that the battery has failed.

On the C14 the #1 cause of electrical problems is corrosion at the frame-ground points just in front of the battery compartment.  This has been covered at length in many threads here but basically you need to remove both bolts, clean the aluminum surface of the frame where the terminals make contact.  Sandpaper or a metal scraper is needed here and you CANNOT see the corrosion.  It's aluminum oxide which looks just like aluminum.  I like to put a dab of grease on the contact points to inhibit further corrosion.  Then re-install your terminals and the bolts.  With a good battery you should be good to go!
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »
2 things...
Did you buy a top tier battery, and charge it fully when you replaced it, and cleaned all the terminals at that time? Or was it a k-mart el cheapo $50 battery?

You say "trickle" charger.... what kind/brand? They aren't all the same.. a "tender" will cycle, and somewhat be usefull, a "trickle" will constantly be cycling, and this promotes even more resistive coatings on the terminals... especially if the battery is in the bike the whole time..... and before I hear "the terminals look good... and they were tight...." I'll just say unless they are removed, cleaned, and replaced.. they are not clean and reliable.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:13:28 pm »
Next time used the IG switch to turn it off. Don't use the kill switch and you will never have this problem again, at least not in 9 months time...... ;D

Or if you use the kill switch, for anything over a few minutes turn the IG off.  :beerchug:

Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:01 pm »
Would be nice to know if this is a C-10 or C-14. As has been asked was this an El Cheap O battery?
When you installed it did you follow the charging instruction? 9 months is about right for a battery
installed without charging and a constant current trickle charger.
I know at motorcycle training school they told you to use the engine kill switch, well don't.

Offline mms

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:57 am »
The the bike is a C-14. I purchased good battery from Revzilla. I charged the battery myself, so no issues there. I also bough a high end trickle charger. Again the battery works. I was just surprised that a 10 minute stop to look at a map was enough to force me to jump start the bike. The next morning after camping the bike fired right up without an issue.

I'll take the battery out and have it load tested. Also as MOB suggested, I will take the battery terminals out and clean and or replace them. Thanks for the input.

Michael

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:01 pm »
The load test will tell you a lot. I wonder, does the fuel pump keep running
when the engine stop is used to stop the engine. If so that with the head
light might present enough load to run down your battery quickly.
Just a thought.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »
The little battery in the bike does not have enough reserve power to do as you did when it drained and then tried to start the engine, even the manual says not to do what you did.  ;D

Look, just don't do what you did and this will never happen again. One mentioned a trickle charger, you want a battery maintainer/float charger not a trickle charger type.

Cheers.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 08:21:53 pm »
It MIGHT have restarted if you turn the ign off and let it sit for a half hour or so.   Worked for me.   So yes 10 min is enough to kill it but it will recover some by itself.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:40 pm »
Got a "Duracell" AGM that lasted 20 months...  Maintained on a battery tender,
the battery was so dead they couldn't load test it.  I got a new one free, but what the heck?
I kinda put up a stink to switch to the Lithium battery, but got shot down.  When I got home my
neighbor's HD killed a Lithium in 8 months... so I was glad I didn't get one.

My bike is a C-10, when I got the Ammeter out, and the clock power draw was tiny...
Pulled the fuse for it, and no draw on the battery, so it wasn't the bike, or my wiring...
Sometimes, your battery just sux. :-[
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 11:20:03 pm »
The the bike is a C-14. I purchased good battery from Revzilla. I charged the battery myself, so no issues there. I also bough a high end trickle charger. Again the battery works. I was just surprised that a 10 minute stop to look at a map was enough to force me to jump start the bike. The next morning after camping the bike fired right up without an issue.

I'll take the battery out and have it load tested. Also as MOB suggested, I will take the battery terminals out and clean and or replace them. Thanks for the input.

Michael

With 100w of headlights on, marker lights, brake light, and every electronic device having power to it from the battery, I'm not surprised it was dead in 10 minutes.  A lot is going on in modern bikes and you can't leave them on.  Theres nothing wrong with the battery if its less than a year old.  Avoid making it go dead, as its not designed for this type of deep-cycle, but once in a while probably wont hurt it.

As was suggested, never use the kill switch for parking.  Always turn the key OFF.  It's also more secure this way as someone can't drive off with your scooter if the key is off.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:30:46 pm by JTX »

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 11:28:10 pm »
The run switch was off, but the key was in the on position for about 10 - 12 minutes. So the headlights were on.

Have you ever seen how much current a headlight can draw?

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 11:52:04 pm »
So you all have headlights on by just turning on ignition? My 08 doesn't turn on headlights until the engine starts.  I don't use the kill switch but I guessing if I did, the headlights would go out when the engine stopped running.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 11:53:38 pm »
So you all have headlights on by just turning on ignition? My 08 doesn't turn on headlights until the engine starts.  I don't use the kill switch but I guessing if I did, the headlights would go out when the engine stopped running.

From memory, I think the headlights come on when you hit the start button, via relay.

If you kill it with the kill switch, the headlights stay on because the bike was never turned OFF.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 11:23:21 am »
Oh, OK, I never use the kill switch pretty much to avoid the problem the OP had.

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 02:13:08 pm »
Oh, OK, I never use the kill switch pretty much to avoid the problem the OP had.

Different strokes for different folks.

I use my kill switch just about everytime I shut off the bike and then turn off the IG switch right after that.

The reason is - I was taught when getting my first bike that you use the kill switch everytime and the first time it doesn't work
you go and get a new one - because if you never use the kill switch it might not work from non-use when you need it most.
So I always know my kill switch works because I use it almost all the time to shut the bike off - but I'm also trained to then turn the key off.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »
 :goodpost:

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 08:03:29 pm »
I use my kill switch just about every time I shut off the bike and then turn off the IG switch right after that

I used to do exactly that until one day when parking I got immediately distracted by a few people coming over and gawking and asking questions. I blabbed for a bit then walked away and pretty shortly the headlights killed the battery. Big hassle getting the covers off for a jump, not to mention the embarrassment. Now I only turn it off with the key. That ain't happening again.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »
I use my kill switch just about every time I shut off the bike and then turn off the IG switch right after that

I used to do exactly that until one day when parking I got immediately distracted by a few people coming over and gawking and asking questions. I blabbed for a bit then walked away and pretty shortly the headlights killed the battery. Big hassle getting the covers off for a jump, not to mention the embarrassment. Now I only turn it off with the key. That ain't happening again.

Yep...
X10...
I agree, and I have never used the kill switch on any bike I owned to shut it off, for that exact reason...
Its all good until that one time, in the heat of the moment, when you forget... may it be caused by a loss of concentration by onlookers jibber jabbering to ya, an emergency stop to pick something up, or help someone, or a simple mind fart...
If you never ever use that switch, you're far ahead.. I only use the key...

And the kill switch will always kill the bike in an "emergency", never seen one fail to do so in 40+ years...
I live dangerously and run with scissors tho...
That kill switch is there only as a liability thing, by the manufacturer, in the event you crash out, and are unconscious... someone else can kill the bike.

Fun thing to do at rides and rallies... walk thru the lot, and flick the kill switches to the off position on all the bikes... and watch people wondering why the bike won't start... :rotflmao: :nananana: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 10:49:10 pm »
Ha.....that won't work with we few killswitchers.

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 03:12:56 pm »
C14 has a tip over switch that kills the engine if it goes over in your driveway, street or crash. No need for an emergency shutdown, it will shutoff on its own in these situations. I too never use the kill switch.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 05:49:12 pm »
I can personally attest to the tip over switch working. >:(
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 03:39:19 am »
Back in the 80s I used the kill switch and killed the battery for not turning the bike off. I've never used the kill switch since
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125