Author Topic: Battery post and ground cleaning  (Read 566 times)

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
  • Membership Level: Active
Battery post and ground cleaning
« on: May 04, 2018, 02:49:36 am »
I plan on adding a battery tender lead when it arrives and i have read many post about cleaning the ground connections, after sanding the area do you guys just leave it bare or do you add any thing to coat or protect the bare metal? Maybe some dielectric grease?

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Battery post and ground cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:38 am »
You're going to get several different answers here.

What I do is assemble the connections dry after abrasive cleaning then apply a light coat of anti corrosion battery connection spray. Anything you can do that blocks oxygen from the connection will help somewhat. Keep in mind that the connection is dissimilar metals exposed to an electrical current and nothing affordable will completely stop the corrosion.
 Of course you can always get 22 carat gold connectors and oxygen free high purity copper wire (even better get gold wire). Unfortunately Mr. Gates is not a distant relative nor is my rich uncle willing to finance this motorcycle addiction I have. ::)
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 05:43:24 am »
You're going to get several different answers here.

What I do is assemble the connections dry after abrasive cleaning then apply a light coat of anti corrosion battery connection spray. Anything you can do that blocks oxygen from the connection will help somewhat. Keep in mind that the connection is dissimilar metals exposed to an electrical current and nothing affordable will completely stop the corrosion.
 Of course you can always get 22 carat gold connectors and oxygen free high purity copper wire (even better get gold wire). Unfortunately Mr. Gates is not a distant relative nor is my rich uncle willing to finance this motorcycle addiction I have. ::)

Thanks , I was thinking dielectric grease or somthing like the stuff we use to spray on car battery terminals.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:41 pm »
Deepsea is right, you will get lots of differant opinions with a question like that.
Having been in the battery maintenance bushiness (Bell System) for years I will
say, coat the post and connector with a light coat of dielectric grease.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 01:27:20 pm »
Deepsea is right, you will get lots of differant opinions with a question like that.

I did this the last time I was ALL the way up on the tail section.

However -- won't dielectric grease MELT and drip away in the summer heat??   :-[
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 04:22:55 pm »

I did this the last time I was ALL the way up on the tail section.

However -- won't dielectric grease MELT and drip away in the summer heat??   :-[

You don't want to glob it on because it may drip or just make a gooey mess.  All it takes is a very thin coating here.  The idea is just to seal the interface between the Aluminum frame of the bike and the copper (or brass, not sure what it is) terminal from the battery to keep air from getting in and causing fresh corrosion.

2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 10:43:59 pm »
Working in the power quality industry for decades, I find this a bit silly...
Applying a "conductive" paste, which also can seal off air to the connection is much more wise...

Define dielectric...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicone_grease

So, you might as well clean the connection shiney, make the connection dry, and spray it down after with cheap paint, which offers more as a sealant preventing oxygen fcrccc

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:49:01 pm »
Applying a "conductive" paste, which also can seal off air to the connection is much more wise...

Define dielectric...

So, you might as well clean the connection shiney, make the connection dry, and spray it down after with cheap paint, which offers more as a sealant preventing oxygen fcrccc
All I know about dielectric grease is that’s what is says on the tube I have of it,lol  use it on my boat plug a lot , seems to keep the lights working!

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 11:32:31 pm »

Define dielectric...

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.  But I'll just leave it at that.  You seem to want to drive all members from this board by your constant antagonism and criticism.  Have it your way...   :truce:

You can add me to the list of those you have succeeded in driving away from participating in discussions on this forum.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:46:51 pm by jwh20 »
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 12:21:46 am »
Please...
I do not wish, or intend to drive anyone away, and any suggestion of something of this nature, in my outlook, is insulting.
I do not tell people half truthe nor do I speculate on things, and say "you have no clue" when dealing with thechnical applications based on years of my endeavors, in a highly technical atmosphere. I simply stated, dielectric is an insulation so to speak, and metal to metal, sealed afterwards to prevent oxygen ingress, is the industry standard...
I've designed, and spec'd about 30 MILLION dollars worth of high end mission critical and failure free high amperage power switching devices, transfer switches, power distribution modules, and UPS units, in medium volfage (up to 600v) applications, from 30 amp up thru 4000 amps, and NEVER did we coat a current carrying copper bus bar joint, some of which were silver plated, with any "dielectric" grease, or any other compounds.

There are thermally specific compounds, that are used in the "high voltage" industry, that reduce oxidation, but none of them are dielectric.

So please, don't go off on some mission, and start a firestorm of reporting me as an antagonist, I am not doing so, and speak fully in a realistic and respectful manner, with the technical database I have spent much of my life accumulating thru my employment.

Sorry you feel it was necessary to berate me, I simply stated facts.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 12:36:12 am »
If you just have to use something, because of someones belief that a grease is needed, might as well just lightly wipe skm Vaseline on...

Or, use a conductive "grease" like     Noalox

Research it.
I don't use it myself, even tho I have it.

We only used it on grounding connections to switchgear framework connections, for the ground circuit, conduction path to ground, as a "safety" precaution.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 05:51:26 am »
"You're going to get several different answers here.What I do is assemble the connections dry after abrasive cleaning then apply a light coat of anti corrosion battery connection spray. Anything you can do that blocks oxygen from the connection will help somewhat. Keep in mind that the connection is dissimilar metals exposed to an electrical current and nothing affordable will completely stop the corrosion."

Guess I got this one right! MOB is also correct in that a thermal paste such as is used between micro processors and heat sinks is the best, but unneeded, way to go. Just clean the connections when you change the oil and you'll never have a problem.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »
Man of Blue, you are right. I have a tube of Noalox from Bell System days. I use it.
I find it easier to get dielectric grease from auto parts store, and it's cheaper. That's
important here.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 04:25:38 pm »
Well, if you want to get technical, Noalox is for aluminum to aluminum connections. It is easy to get, Home Depot carries it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 08:44:26 pm »
Well, if you want to get technical, Noalox is for aluminum to aluminum connections. It is easy to get, Home Depot carries it.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but its usable, and does seal and prevent rapid corrosion...

Probably the best all around is a product called NO-OX-ID "A-Special", which is used for pretty much all metals common to electrical connections... pretty cheap also, and is non hardening.

Others are available like OX-Gard, MG Chemicals Carbon grease, and a bunch of Loctite formulations of anti sieze compounds containing suspended metals like nickel, copper, silver, zinc, etc....

Pretty much when you think about it, you want a electrically conductive product, that will fill small pores and voids providing as much metal to metal contact as possible, and prevent moisture and chemical and also air, from entering the mating surfaces of the connection...

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 10:30:14 pm »

Define dielectric...

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.  But I'll just leave it at that.  You seem to want to drive all members from this board by your constant antagonism and criticism.  Have it your way...   :truce:

You can add me to the list of those you have succeeded in driving away from participating in discussions on this forum.
+1
"Remember? You're never too old to fall down."
Jay Leno