Author Topic: Battery Tender - connection location  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Battery Tender - connection location
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:48:06 pm »
Hi all,

I did some poking around and didn't see anything definitive so I thought I'd ask...

For those using a Battery Tender, where are you keeping the connector when not in use? Considering the battery's odd location and the general shortness of the typical Tender quick-connect cable set, I don't see where it can be stashed when not in use but easy to get to.

The battery on both my Triumph and FJR was up at the top/right of the fairing, so on both bikes I was able to route the cable to where the connector was out of the way but very easy to get to.

Capn'
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Previous bikes: Triumph Trophy SE 1200, Yamaha V Star 1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Yamaha Venture 1200, Yamaha Seca 750, Yamaha Eleven Special, Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, Honda VTX 1300, Honda GL1000 Goldwing, Honda CB750Four, Honda GL500 Silverwing

Offline ZXtasy

• Road Bike
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Battery Tender - connection location
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:10:14 am »
The PO of mine ran it through to the left side, out the crack at about knee level. It does not really fit, falls out half the time. I hope to have time in the remaining winter to take her apart enough to look at rerouting, I can make an extension.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:24:25 am »
Battery Box is next to this.

It's out of the way and quite accessible.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:36:40 am by JDSCO »
"Remember? You're never too old to fall down."
Jay Leno

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:39:14 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thats exactly where mine comes out also.   :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:49:21 am »
Yeah, not very elegant (for me, anyway). Me thinks I'll search to see if they make a longer cable (or modify mine) then run it up through the fairing and bundle it in with the wires leading up to the right side of the handlebars.

It's not critical since I live in a temperate climate and ride year round, but I'd at least like to have the option.

Thanks!
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Previous bikes: Triumph Trophy SE 1200, Yamaha V Star 1300, Yamaha FJR1300, Yamaha Venture 1200, Yamaha Seca 750, Yamaha Eleven Special, Kawasaki ZX-11, Honda PC800 Pacific Coast, Honda VTX 1300, Honda GL1000 Goldwing, Honda CB750Four, Honda GL500 Silverwing

Offline Capn' Kirk

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 01:00:26 am »
Success. Deltran makes extension cables in various lengths, and while this 6-foot extension is overkill, it'll allow me to pretty much run it wherever I'd like, and simply bundle up and stash the excess.
2017 C14
Bay Area, CA

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:06:06 am »
I ran mine up the right hand side and it live's under the right top (black) fairing panel. Reach in and easy access.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12503
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:57 am »
No need for excess. Just work back from the SAE end (where you want it) to the battery, and cut to length, and crimp new ring terminals on the ends.

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 07:37:09 am »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thats exactly where mine comes out also.   :beerchug:
+2
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:58 am »
Hi all,

I did some poking around and didn't see anything definitive so I thought I'd ask...

For those using a Battery Tender, where are you keeping the connector when not in use? Considering the battery's odd location and the general shortness of the typical Tender quick-connect cable set, I don't see where it can be stashed when not in use but easy to get to.

The battery on both my Triumph and FJR was up at the top/right of the fairing, so on both bikes I was able to route the cable to where the connector was out of the way but very easy to get to.

Capn'

I dont connect my tender direct to the battery.  It's connected to a fuse block terminal that goes to the battery.  Theres not enough room in the battery box for multiple connections.

That said, I poke the tender connector out of the right side, right next to the passenger footpeg.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 11:55:17 am »
I ran mine up the right hand side and it live's under the right top (black) fairing panel. Reach in and easy access.

I might re-route mine this way, I power my heated gear off this also, so having it closer would be a good idea
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:56:19 am »

I might re-route mine this way, I power my heated gear off this also, so having it closer would be a good idea

Just remember the fuse is rated somewhere around 7.5 Amp on these power leads.

Offline rider47

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 12:13:04 pm »

This is the same place that I have a battery tender lead.  Very accessible and also easy to plug in heated vest when needed. 

Offline khager01

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 04:20:31 pm »

That's why I use a heated gear connector 15 amp, and then I use an adapter for the battery tender.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 01:05:17 am »

I think (Therefore I am) that the wire is rated at 20 amps but not sure. will need to check. I've used for running a compressor so far with no fuse change but that may change. I'd like to be able to use for a jump start if needed but that will for sure be a fuse upgrade. Also ran my phone charger and GPS from it. Just make sure polarity is right. Also an easy way to check batt voltage with a meter w/o having to pull covers.

That's why I use a heated gear connector 15 amp, and then I use an adapter for the battery tender.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline Gscott

• Bicycle
  • 09 C14
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:04 pm »
Added a 2 ft. SAE extension on then ran it up the right side of gas tank to the glove box on the 09. that way I can plug in the com. sets when we stop for something to eat or sightsee when on a long day or multi day ride with the wife, still easy to get to for air compressor hook up as well. Other end + side of battery and where the ground wire hooks to frame.

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 03:39:08 pm »
Newer models have two, SWITCHED 12v accessory leads, installed in the wiring harness

1 is in left fairing under the black panel and uses bullet connectors
It's very easy to run a lead from the left to the right-side fairing without removing a lot of plastic

1 is under the seat, right side behind the ECU and uses bullet connectors

These two leads are, 5amp fused (up to 10amp max), very handy if one is looking for additional accessory hook-ups

"Remember? You're never too old to fall down."
Jay Leno

Offline Gscott

• Bicycle
  • 09 C14
  • COG#: 12413
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 02:27:55 pm »
Newer models have two, SWITCHED 12v accessory leads, installed in the wiring harness

1 is in left fairing under the black panel and uses bullet connectors
It's very easy to run a lead from the left to the right-side fairing without removing a lot of plastic

1 is under the seat, right side behind the ECU and uses bullet connectors

These two leads are, 5amp fused (up to 10amp max), very handy if one is looking for additional accessory hook-ups

09s have same hookups, but they only have power with key on and 10 amp fuse from factory.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 03:23:16 pm »
Keep in mind the cig lighter on the dash is on the same fuse.