Author Topic: Battery Tender/Charging with/without battery removal. How long to connect it?  (Read 336 times)

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Hello all COG members,

This is new to me, charging battery. Didn't had to do this in the past. I ride maybe once or twice a month. Rest of the time bike just sits there and no electrical points to keep it connected to a tender. The solar charger seemed like a good option, but it might get stolen or break and not even work.

I ended up ordering the Optimate 4 from Amazon. Should I remove the battery and charge it up and keep it maintained at home and plug it in when I am ready to ride? Or could I connect the cables to the battery (and the route the wires out of the panel) and plug in the charger/tender directly to it for 4-5 hrs before I am going to go for a ride everytime? Or would it be better to remove the battery charge it up overnight and put it back in the bike and leave it for 2 weeks? And do it every other week. So instead of keeping it maintained, just charge it up once a month or twice a month?

What would you all recommend?

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
  • Membership Level: Active
For me, I only charge mine during the winter month (southeast US) because I'm riding it several times a week rest of year. For numerous year now, I simply run my battery tender leads out the right side of the bike and plug it in during non-ride days/nights ... again during winter.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Removing the battery is not a lot of fun.
I would do as Road Runner.
   Run the battery tender leads out the right side of the bike and plug it in during non-ride periods.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
A battery charger and a battery TENDER are two different critters. Most if not all "tenders" can stay hooked up. My two bikes and lawnmower stay on tender all the time because I may go a couple of weeks between rides (I'm in the SE, too). The leads come out the side of the bike and from under the seat on the mower. Read the book on your Optimate 4 and it should tell you what you can do.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
  • COG#: Forum
Thanks. Most of the battery tenders are to maintain the battery. However, the optimate 4 seems like it can be kept connected to maintain the battery and/or to charge the battery too.

I'll get the delivery tomorrow. I'll check the booklet tomorrow.

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12649
I too own an optimate 4.  Excellent Choice.
I keep mine connected anytime I'm not riding.  Good policy.
I connect the battery via one of two SAE ports for my Heated Gear (warm-n-safe) which makes it VERy convenient and easy.

I used a first generation Optimate on my 2000 Aprilia.  The battery lasted 10 years.  No joke.
I finally replaced the battery out of practicality, not necessity.

If you want reliability and to make your battery last as long as possible, a battery tender is a must for every electric start vehicle that isn't driven every day.

gr
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Jim

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
My bike has had a Battery Tender connected for about a week now. I hook it up and leave it, summer and winter. When it's really hot I ride my "naked" Z900 instead.

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
One point to note.  Having a tender hooked up all the time can help mask a failing battery.  It usually goes down like this.  Charger/tender said battery is charged. Bike starts fine.  Bike will not restart at next stop. 
I tend to charge for a day or two then take it off for a week,  Check the no load voltage of the battery.   If it is starting to fall below 12.5 the battery is failing.  If not below that just recharge.   You can not just check the battery voltage just after taking the charger loose.  It will read high unless you bleed the surface charge off first and let it recover.   Like by turning on the headlight for 15 seconds and then everything off for 15 minutes to recover. 
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8442
My bike sat for 2 years with a tender hooked up,  when I got back she fired off on the first press of the button and the battery was fine thereafter
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Thanks. Most of the battery tenders are to maintain the battery. However, the optimate 4 seems like it can be kept connected to maintain the battery and/or to charge the battery too.

I'll get the delivery tomorrow. I'll check the booklet tomorrow.

so, now that you have read the instruction manual, are you satisfied that the multiple modes this charger has, can be utilized safely for long term, or even short burst cycling?

it is a nice charger, i may pick one up when my old "Tender" dies...

One point to note.  Having a tender hooked up all the time can help mask a failing battery.  It usually goes down like this.  Charger/tender said battery is charged. Bike starts fine.  Bike will not restart at next stop. 
I tend to charge for a day or two then take it off for a week,  Check the no load voltage of the battery.   If it is starting to fall below 12.5 the battery is failing.  If not below that just recharge.   You can not just check the battery voltage just after taking the charger loose.  It will read high unless you bleed the surface charge off first and let it recover.   Like by turning on the headlight for 15 seconds and then everything off for 15 minutes to recover.

That Optimate 4 is a superior type of product, and the functions it can do, and programming, make it far above a simple ""tender"

But I do agree with what you say on some issues. I think the biggest issue, with any system used on this bike, is keeping the terminations clean from the start, and cleaning them regularly.. that is the weak point, that prevents full charge cycles, and promotes deterioration from not ever "charging correctly" when riding, or stored...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...