Author Topic: Battery weak on new bike  (Read 326 times)

Offline Craigmri

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Battery weak on new bike
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:57:06 pm »
Guys,

I rode the bike last weekend for over 100 miles no problem......The bike sat all week in my garage.  I went to start it today and it spun the engine once or twice them click-click-click-click etc....I opened the right side panel to expose the battery connections.....Ground was tight but I was able to wiggle the Positive lead a bit so I tightened it up and charged the battery and it fired right up.

The bike is a new leftover 2017 with 240 miles on it.  If the battery is weak again in a few days I'll bring it in......Can I assume I should expect a replacement battery at no change considering I bought this new like three weeks ago?

Craig

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Battery weak on new bike
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 10:44:58 pm »
I suspect your problem was just connections.
But, They had better give you one!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 11:21:48 pm »
 :41: :41: :41: :41: :41:

remove the battery

take sandpaper, and scrup the terminals of the battery, where the connection is made, completely abrading and cleaning them.
Use the sandpaper, and completely scrub the contacting surfaces of the connector/lug on the ends of the cables in this same manner.

do the same thing to the point on the frame, where the ground wire attaches, next to the battery box, and again, do the same thing to that ground wire's ring lug...

wipe each one down, fell free to apply a "thin" film smear of Vaseline, or grease to them if so desired,(I don't do this, but I do smear grease on the connection after it;) re install all, and take this as about the best advice you will ever hear, about connections on a C14.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:31:50 am »
Guys,

The bike is a new leftover 2017 with 240 miles on it.  If the battery is weak again in a few days I'll bring it in......Can I assume I should expect a replacement battery at no change considering I bought this new like three weeks ago?

Craig

I got another battery under warranty. I was in the middle of doing something and was unable to get the bike to the dealer. I was allowed to drop off just the battery. On my way home the next day I stopped by the dealer and picked up a new battery at no charge. I put it in and didn't have trouble with the battery again for 6 years or so. Then the bike sat in a dealers shop for an extended period of time. (accident repair.(wasn't my fault either)

When I picked the bike up after the repair the battery was done. I could tell the battery was short on life. Convincing the dealer it was their fault might have been hard to do. I had the extended warranty. So I replaced the battery with a good Brand name battery. Been happy since. But here is the deal, my owners manual says if the bike is going to be stored, the battery should be charged with an appropriate charger every 2 weeks when the bike is not in use.  The C14 is running a clock.  My other bike is not but every other week I stick a trickle charger on them.

Had the dealer stuck a charger on the battery pig tail once in awhile the battery might have survived longer. Unfortunately the dealer that was helpful with the battery the first time was closed and remains closed.  Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki