Author Topic: Best windshield for a tall guy who likes a quiet ride?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into an FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Best windshield for a tall guy who likes a quiet ride?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2019, 09:30:46 am »
The CalSci shield stopped all the buffeting I was experiencing.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline RobinD

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 10:10:56 pm »
2012 C.A. Red.
I own the stocker, a CopperDawg, and an AeroFlow.
HANDS DOWN WITHOUT QUESTION WINNER for a quiet bubble is the Aeroflow. No Question.

Offline TN Rider

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2019, 04:30:29 pm »
Guys,

Took a 8 hour ride last weekend and let's just say I LLLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEE the cali sci windshield.  I kept my visor open the who day (it was freakin hot).  I would adjust my windshield depending on speed. 40 or under, I'd crank it down to get air. Over 40 or so, crank up but leave my visor open and it was awesome.  I was listening to music/intercom and it was perfect. 

Just really happy with it. Went up to about 90 with no issues. It's big, prob not the coolest looking but I don't care at all. 

And when all the way up I still get some airflow with the vent cut into the middle. 

Again, I'm about 6'4", stock seat,  around 34" inseam, stock risers. Just a weekend warrior who likes luxury when I call for it. Makes riding experience soooooo much better.  Hope this helps someone.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2019, 05:22:23 pm »
Do any of these windshields have a turned up lip at the top?   I had a Cee Bailey on my C10 and I loved it.   I bought the V-Stream tour (something like that)  windshield  for my C14 and I thought I liked it until it rained..I cannot see a dam thing with that windshield in the rain... The Cee  Bailey I could see just above the turned up  lip of the windshield perfectly..
Thanks
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit 100+HP  + way more torque.
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2019, 05:40:20 pm »
Not sure any have the up turn but I always set my shields up to where I barely see over them.  I had a truck trash my screen once with it's leaking oil.  If I could not see over the shield I would have not been able to stop safely.  I have had rain, ice and oil all keep me from being able to see though my shield at critical times.
Also having the air hit just at the top of your helmet gets more in the vent.  I have to have that or it feels like no air flow when it is hot.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline 2andBlue

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2019, 09:34:34 pm »
CalSci Large does not have an upturned lip, rain not an issue.  Factory shield no upturn either and I never noticed a rain problem.

Offline Phil

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2019, 12:34:07 pm »
Yes definitely check out CalSci's website. Good articles on the science of  air moving around a motorcycle. Just bought one of their shields for my FJR and they work as advertised.

I bought one in 2010 shortly after getting the Concours. I still have it on the bike. It completely got rid of the back pressure I had, which was my biggest complaint.

How did it alleviate the back pressure? If I run at freeway speed with my Cee Bailey all the way up it has enough back pressure to be tiring.

It is vented to reduce back pressure. It made a world of difference over the stock shield in that regard.