Author Topic: Better replacement TPMS batteries  (Read 15018 times)

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
  • Membership Level: Active
Better replacement TPMS batteries
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:08:02 am »
I've been replacing lots of batteries on TPMS sensors for folks, and it has always been a little bit of a struggle to get the tabs on the ones I was getting from Digikey to line up and solder on correctly. So I ordered ones with a different type of tab, and I'm happy to report that they fit and work much better. Once you clean all the solder out of the holes, you can now get stem on the tab to go through the hole and make a good mechanical connection prior to soldering by hooking the tab through the hole. You couldn't do this with the P668-ND ones posted about on here, so I think these are a better choice.

The battery is the identical Panasonic, the only difference is the tabs. The Digikey part number for these are P660-ND

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:18:25 am by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11111
Re: Better replacement TPMS batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:13 am »
Thanks Fred,  good to know.  But what do I do with the 8 spare 668's in my drawer?  ::)
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:04 am »
Fred, how many of these do you replace a month?  You know the equipment and supplies needed to spot-weld tabs onto the terminals of batteries is pretty inexpensive.  In fact you can easily make one yourself.  Might make repairing TPMS modules simpler if you had an exact-fit battery.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Flat-spot

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11111
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:15 am »
jwh20,  are you talking about cold soldering?  I hear hot soldering to batteries is not a good thing and I'm curious about the cold version.
Not that I would actually do it since I have enough 668's for the next 20 years. :o
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:40:19 am by Flat-spot »
'08 C14
There is no such thing as too much ammo, unless you are on fire or trying to swim.

Offline kawcon14rider

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8557
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:21:50 pm »
Sammie Timmons  COG# 8557  CDA#0291  AMA# 818592 SCAAD 74 GT380 totaled  74 GT750 totaled  80 GS850 totaled  05 Vulcan 750 traded  08 C14 my baby  08 Versys (my wife's) 2012 Ninja 250 [thanks Kawasaki for the gift]

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 12:51:04 pm »
Check this site out less for batteries and shipping. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Battery/CR2032/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtEV04R3uo8Ft7CIhv2OyhLbn6MKq1Bh%252bU%3d
 ;)

The tabs on those are going to be more difficult to use. Here is a link to the ones from Digikey in the photo I posted.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&keywords=P660-ND

Fred H.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:52:33 pm »
Fred, how many of these do you replace a month?  You know the equipment and supplies needed to spot-weld tabs onto the terminals of batteries is pretty inexpensive.  In fact you can easily make one yourself.  Might make repairing TPMS modules simpler if you had an exact-fit battery.

I'm doing several sets a month. I looked at spot welder and saw some instructions on building them, but it is so easy to just bend these tabs to fit, that I don't think it is worth messing around with trying to make my own, it would be more trouble than it is worth.
Fred H.

Offline Kevin

• Bicycle
  • 2012 Concours 1400 ABS
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 145
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:29:37 pm »
Fred
When I researched the TPS batteries offered by Digikey, they list 2 types, a surface mount type that appears that you and most others have used, and a vertical mount version with the pin type leads shown in your pictures.  Our Northeast AAD Brian Felice, has been using the vertical mount batteries under P/n (CR-2032/VCN) for quite some time and highly recommends this version because the lead configuration is easier to work with.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 10:37:16 am »
jwh20,  are you talking about cold soldering?  I hear hot soldering to batteries is not a good thing and I'm curious about the cold version.
Not that I would actually do it since I have enough 668's for the next 20 years. :o

No, soldering takes too long and the heat cooks the battery.  These tabs are spot-welded into place.  Here is a video of it being done with a home-made welder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLQPeunfoa4

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 10:38:36 am »

I'm doing several sets a month. I looked at spot welder and saw some instructions on building them, but it is so easy to just bend these tabs to fit, that I don't think it is worth messing around with trying to make my own, it would be more trouble than it is worth.

Yes probably not worth it at that level.

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 07:50:02 pm »
Build one yourself - found this on Instructables.

http://www.avdweb.nl/tech-tips/spot-welder.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline jetmech

• Bicycle
  • It's never too far...eventually you will get there
  • COG#: 11458
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 05:17:52 pm »
I recently replaced the battery for tps on my rear wheel and did it a little differently than you guys did. Not that what has been done before wasn't great because it is, and was well done and am sure works well. My solution was to remove the spot welded tab on the battery and not mess with soldering or ordering batteries with tabs or spot welding tabs to new battery either. Perhaps my method will fail on down the road, but hasn't yet in 1500 miles at this writing. Note: this is for those with a "somewhat" removable battery indicated by a shell case that can be separated.

Without pictures this is what I did:
1. Removed TPS from wheel using clamps and on the bike method.
2. Separated TPS and removed board and battery assembly from shell.
3. Using a very small drill bit (#50-70 or 1/16" or smaller "fractional" equivalent) drill slightly into spot welds (holding tabs) on battery, (gently pull on tab till separates from battery) (razor blade helps, get it between tab and battery) wouldn't advise drilling all the way through battery.
4. Once both tabs are free from battery, bend tabs so they will hold pressure to battery (when shell is closed around it). Tabs appear to be stainless and should hold that shape (like a spring) for a long time.
5.  Install new 2032 battery purchased at walgreens/home depot/ or wherever you buy batteries. and place between bent tabs and reinstall in shell. Battery is retained in recess, could be RTV'd in to better secure but don't get any between tabs and battery. I didn't use any rtv.
6. reinstall TPS in wheel and reinflate tire.
7. check to see if works.

As I said, I have had no problems, works fine so far. Now in the future if the battery needs to be replaced just pull tps out and replace the battery like you would for a flashlight or remote control. Maybe next time I do this will take pictures.
08' "silverdammit" C-14
15' "SR71 Blackbird" C14

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »
As they say, "you can't argue with success!" 

Offline Copperdawg

• Copperdawg Specialties
  • Moped
    • Copperdawg Specialties
  • COG#: 11150
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 06:25:41 pm »
Jetmech is my neighbor and we have been talking about this for a while. I also just changed tires and converted my TPS battery setup to standard 2032's. Shot video of the whole thing and hope to have it on my YT channel in a week or so.

Pat

Offline JerBear

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12777
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:22 pm »
What year did they change to the potted type sensor?  I'm looking at a 2012 but know the new sensors are not serviceable.  If I can I'd like to keep the old types.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 09:30:02 pm »
jerbear,
 The new sensors were phased near the end of 2013.  I have a '12 that had sensors replaced twice. The last time was the new style which require a new nut to hold them to the rim as well.  These are the "potted" ones you are trying to avoid.
the '12 and '13 models still have the "old" style sensors.
Matt
2018 H2 SXSE.  (FAT SXSE)
2011 GSX1250 FA
2009 Ninja 500R. (wifes')
2001 Bandit 650  (kids')

Offline hlh1

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 548
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13:34 pm »
Check this site out less for batteries and shipping. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Battery/CR2032/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtEV04R3uo8Ft7CIhv2OyhLbn6MKq1Bh%252bU%3d
 ;)

The tabs on those are going to be more difficult to use. Here is a link to the ones from Digikey in the photo I posted.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&keywords=P660-ND

I just bought a set of these to be ready for the next tire change when I'll replace the batteries. 
06 WeeStrom, 09 C14 ABS, 83 GS1100ED,

Offline Mikes14

• Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 01:37:43 pm »
Bringing back an old post....Has anyone done this mod? Seems a bit easier than having to desolder/resolder batteries every few years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=857GC7M4sOE

Mike

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 03:03:23 pm »
I have a 2014. Are you saying the batteries can not be replaced in mine?
Also, how often do the batteries need to be replaced?
I changed a tire recently and completely forgot about the need to change batteries.   :-[

Ride safe, Ted

14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Mikes14

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 03:11:30 pm »
I changed a tire recently and completely forgot about the need to change batteries.   :-[

Ride safe, Ted

Someone else will chime in, but I don't believe the batteries can be changed on the newer models, but are suppose to last much longer. Mine is an 09 and "low battery" is flashing on both the front and rear...

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 03:15:18 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

Thats what appears to be going on yep.

KAW really dropped the ball on this and everyone should be making more noise about it.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Contact/Online

Personally I will NOT repair/replace/fix these units when the batteries die on my 2015.  I will simply not have working TPMS. I've never had it before and I did just fine in my many years of motorcycling.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:20:49 pm by JTX »

Offline BASpro

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11976
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 09:27:22 pm »
Batteries are not "replaceable". When they go dead you get a flashing warning that doesn't go away obscuring  the outside air temp, mielage, range, etc. Can be disabled but the red warning light comes on solid - very distracting at night. And you will have to disable the warning every time you start the bike. Myself I haven't had much luck actually disabling the warning, it must require just the right button push combination.

I have replaced a battery recently with the tabbed CR2032 successfully. I soldered mine, I wouldn't have any faith in a pressure contact due the the rotational forces.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 09:31:42 pm »
TPMS transmitters seem to be one of the biggest rip-off's in the transportation world today.  Cars, motorcycles, they all have TPMS required by your favorite government, and hardly any have replaceable batteries.  Manufacturer's attitude seems to be "It's not our fault or problem, the batteries will make it through the first owner, and after that Who Cares".  They predict "long life", but so far most run out of batteries way too soon.

They likely cost about 15-20$ to make, and since they're vehicle specific, there isn't enough competition to drive the prices down to anything approaching reasonable.

Apologize for the rant, but I just had to replace all four in my car, so I'm just a bit touchy about the subject! >:( >:( 
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline JTX

• Crotch Rocket
  • TEXAS 2015 ZG14
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 09:43:58 pm »
TPMS transmitters seem to be one of the biggest rip-off's in the transportation world today.  Cars, motorcycles, they all have TPMS required by your favorite government, and hardly any have replaceable batteries.  Manufacturer's attitude seems to be "It's not our fault or problem, the batteries will make it through the first owner, and after that Who Cares".  They predict "long life", but so far most run out of batteries way too soon.

They likely cost about 15-20$ to make, and since they're vehicle specific, there isn't enough competition to drive the prices down to anything approaching reasonable.

Apologize for the rant, but I just had to replace all four in my car, so I'm just a bit touchy about the subject! >:( >:(

Yup.  It's all a crock of %$#hit. And makes my vehicle cost more for something I don't want.

People just ignore the light on the dash.

But at the same time, bike makers shouldnt make things unserviceable.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:32:31 pm by JTX »

Offline CW

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 12:30:12 am »
My car sensor batts are over 10 years old, and still working fine. They cost $35 each to replace the sensors, but there are four.

My C14 batts were toast after 4 years, and are much more expensive to replace, unless I take it upon myself to re-solder in new batteries, which is what I am trying to do.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S