Author Topic: Bike wont start then does  (Read 536 times)

Offline Jetskier3

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Bike wont start then does
« on: October 19, 2017, 05:33:29 pm »
Ok so I have a 2009 Connie.I have never had an issue with it.Last Thursday I went riding with my buds and everything was fine and I parked it in my garage as usual and shut it off.I went out the following Tuesday to ride and it cranked over as usual but would not fire.I cranked it off and on till I killed the battery and then charge the battery and tried again with no success.I trailered it to a local shop who specializes in Metric bikes.After we unloaded it I we turned it on and tried to start it it,again it craked but would not start.The next day the shop called me and said he put it up on his lift to start to look at it.He turned the key on hit the starter and the thing fired right up and ran perfect.HUH?  He said no way to trouble shoot it now that its running perfect and there were no codes..So we are both kind of dumbfounded.Has anyone ever run into this issue?I drove the bike home and it runs good as new.I did just change the remotes battery just for s*** and giggles as the bike turns over just fine..So any info would be greatly appreciated.35,000 on the odometer and have never had an issue.Today is the first day of Biketoberfest and again it started right up/I am jus afraid it might do it again and just looking for possible thought on this issue

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
Re: Bike wont start then does
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:02:08 pm »
First thing to check is the ground connections... check & clean battery connections along with the grounds that are below & to the right of the battery. Next get the battery load tested.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:34:29 pm »
First thing to check is the ground connections... check & clean battery connections along with the grounds that are below & to the right of the battery. Next get the battery load tested.
:iagree:
Frame grounds are also suspect as well as the battery connections AND your battery is suspect
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Bob

• Bob
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1398
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:06 pm »
Check the battery voltage with a good voltmeter while cranking the bike. If the voltage drops below about 9 to 9.5 volts while cranking the engine over, the fuel pump will not pump fuel. No fuel equals no start.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:28:41 pm »
 :-[

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 01:29:26 am »
+1 :-[
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Tim

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 03:56:35 pm »

Mine did the same thing. Did all things suggested. What works for me is.........try to start , and if cranks but doesn't start, turn key to FSS, wait a few seconds then go back to on and try it. Works for me every time. Been doing this for about three years. I did new battery, plugs, fuel pump, and didn't help.
I figure it needed a reboot........ :)

Offline Tim

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 03:59:27 pm »
Ok so I have a 2009 Connie.I have never had an issue with it.Last Thursday I went riding with my buds and everything was fine and I parked it in my garage as usual and shut it off.I went out the following Tuesday to ride and it cranked over as usual but would not fire.I cranked it off and on till I killed the battery and then charge the battery and tried again with no success.I trailered it to a local shop who specializes in Metric bikes.After we unloaded it I we turned it on and tried to start it it,again it craked but would not start.The next day the shop called me and said he put it up on his lift to start to look at it.He turned the key on hit the starter and the thing fired right up and ran perfect.HUH?  He said no way to trouble shoot it now that its running perfect and there were no codes..So we are both kind of dumbfounded.Has anyone ever run into this issue?I drove the bike home and it runs good as new.I did just change the remotes battery just for s*** and giggles as the bike turns over just fine..So any info would be greatly appreciated.35,000 on the odometer and have never had an issue.Today is the first day of Biketoberfest and again it started right up/I am jus afraid it might do it again and just looking for possible thought on this issue

Quoted wrong person. Sorry guys for duplicates.
Mine did the same thing. Did all things suggested. What works for me is.........try to start , and if cranks but doesn't start, turn key to FSS, wait a few seconds then go back to on and try it. Works for me every time. Been doing this for about three years. I did new battery, plugs, fuel pump, and didn't help.
I figure it needed a reboot........ :)

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 03:57:12 am »
When you turn the key on, observe the battery output. As mentioned by others if it reads less than 10 or 11, your fuel pump won't send fuel.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125