Author Topic: Brake Fluid: Motorcycle Specific Brand Worth It???  (Read 1636 times)

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
Brake Fluid: Motorcycle Specific Brand Worth It???
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:01:33 pm »
As spring approacheth, I noticed that the last bottle of brake fluid I bought was BelRay Super DOT4.  It's literally old enought that I am going to simply toss it.  Does it not make sense that any bottle of this stuff will simply absorb water as it sits on the shelf (unsealed)??
I have two bikes, and they BOTh need clutch and brake fluids swapped, so I'll need some quantity of whatever I buy.

I somehow, just can't bring myself to go to an autoparts store and just buy any old non-brand variant of DOT4, and dump that into my precious bike.  I know, i know....if the value of paying more is "perceived" than it's worth it to the person buying....
I'm starting to favor the addage of oil skimpers, and simply "change it more often" rather than pay for perceived higher quality.  However, my interest in motorcycle maintenance has waned over the years, and I'm not as diligent about all this stuff as I once was.

However - I'd like to hear from the community (of the cheapest bastards i know) whether buying a "high-performance / motorcycle specific" brand of brake fluid is TRULY worth it????
Relevant / scientific data would be AS appreciated as the flurry of personal comments that i'm sure i'll receive!  :) :great:

Let's have it.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Brake Fluid: Motorcycle Specific Brand Worth It???
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 08:29:46 pm »
I use off the shelf Prestone DOT 4 or 5. I try to stay with a brand name BTW. Just bled the rear brakes and clutch again using DOT 4. As long as you keep it fresh you will never know the difference between all the brands and DOT versions. Although DOT 3 does not stand up to the heat as much as a 4 will. But unless your on a track, I doubt you would even come close to overcooking the brakes with a DOT 3 fluid.

Now in the early days I ran ATE fluid, it came in 2 different colors so you knew when the old was flushed and the new was in there.

YMMV   :beerchug:
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:53:12 pm »
I recently went to Autozone for DOT 4 to flush my rear brake fluid. The Prestone they had was only DOT 3 I bought a quart of DOT 4 in a metal bottle, made in Germany by Pentosin.

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:25:00 pm »
I use off the shelf Prestone DOT 4 or 5.

You should NOT use DOT 5 in the Concours.  DOT 5.1 should be okay, but never just DOT 5.

Manual specs DOT 4, and that's what I run.

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:29:28 am »
As long as you keep it fresh you will never know the difference between all the brands and DOT versions.

That's it!
Brake & clutch fluid, hygroscopic fluids are best changed before any long-term storage
I don't find Bel-Ray Super to be that expensive, anyway
I have a couple of bikes and I need hi-temp for my KTM on single-track so I buy Motul
These two cost $24 and will last one year
The trick for me is not to buy too much and have leftover fluid
I never buy bike fluids from 7-Eleven!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:00:02 am by JDSCO »
"One night, I was drinking at a bar and ended up taking a bus home. This may not be a big deal to you, but I've never driven a bus before"
Unknown

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 01:15:25 am »
As long as you keep it fresh you will never know the difference between all the brands and DOT versions.

That's it!
Brake & clutch fluid, hygroscopic fluids are best changed before any long-term storage
I don't find Bel-Ray Super to be that expensive, anyway
I have a couple of bikes and I need hi-temp for my KTM on single-track so I buy Motul
These two cost $24 and will last one year
The trick for me is not to buy too much and have leftover fluid
I never buy bike fluids from 7-Eleven!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Since I have a 09 I change brake fluids at the start of each riding season. I hate having a bunch of opened cans/bottles of left over brake fluid.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:19:01 am by TimR »
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:23 pm »
I use off the shelf Prestone DOT 4 or 5.

You should NOT use DOT 5 in the Concours.  DOT 5.1 should be okay, but never just DOT 5.

Manual specs DOT 4, and that's what I run.
dot 4 and dot 5 are not compatible. dot 5 is silicon based and will trash a dot 4 system.dot 5.1 has a higher boiling point than dot 4, but on a normal street bike don't think it's worth the expense. i use prestone dot 4 and change it every 2 years, never had any issues. :) :)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 02:44:41 pm »
I 'll stay with DOT 4 as always.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline smokin

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:54:53 pm »
Motul 5.1 brake fluid,made for ABS systems,nitrogen filled bottles to increase life whilst on the shelf.
DOT 5.1 BRAKE FLUID
APPLICATIONBRAKE FLUIDS
QUALITY100% SYNTHETIC
PRODUCT RANGECAR, MOTORCYCLE
OEM APPROVALSFMVSS 116 DOT 5.1 NON SILICONE BASE, DOT 4 ET DOT 3 ; SAE J 1703 ; ISO 4925 (5.1, 4 ET 3)
PACKAGING0,500L CAN, 1L CAN, 5L CAN
ARTICLE NUMBER100950
SAFETY DATA SHEET TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
100% synthetic brake fluid on polyglycol basis for all types of hydraulic actuated brake and clutch systems in accordance with DOT 5.1, DOT 4 and DOT 3 manufacturers’ recommendations. Specially designed for anti-locking brake system (ABS). Dry boiling point 270 °C / 518 °F. Wet boiling point 185 °C / 365 °F. Standards: FMVSS 116 DOT 5.1 NON SILICONE BASE & DOT 4 & DOT 3; SAE J 1703.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:58:23 pm by smokin »

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:17:09 pm »
Anybody know what the deal with DOT 3/4 Synthetic Fluid is??

Says this stuff is compatible for both variants, and "designed" for ABS systems?

I tend to favor synthetic lubricants, but unfamiliar with man-made variants of Brake Fluid.

Anybody care to clarify??

gr

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:40:43 pm »
Anybody know what the deal with DOT 3/4 Synthetic Fluid is??

Says this stuff is compatible for both variants, and "designed" for ABS systems?

I tend to favor synthetic lubricants, but unfamiliar with man-made variants of Brake Fluid.

Anybody care to clarify??

gr

The DOT4 spec is a SUPERSET of the DOT3 spec.  So, by definition, any fluid that meets DOT4 will therefore also meet (or exceed) all DOT3 requirements.

The biggest difference is in boiling point with the DOT4 being higher than DOT3.  So if you mix them, you'll end up with a boiling point somewhere between the two specs.  That's why you can always use DOT4 in a DOT3 system but should never use DOT3 in a DOT4 system.

If you see DOT3/4 on the label, the fluid is DOT4.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:26:11 pm »
Good stuff!  :great:

I surmised as much, but didn't want to presume.

Now, whats the difference between"synthetic" and Non-synthetic Fluids.....or is it ALL the same???

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:49:52 pm »
Doesn’t matter what brand or how much it cost - if it’s in a plastic bottle it potentially ALREADY has water in it (depending on how long in the bottle/climate exposed to). Plastic isn’t very good at keeping water out, from what I’ve read, even if it’s still sealed.

IIRC, isn’t DOT 4 silicone, so can NEVER be used in a DOT 3 system?

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »
No, that's DOT 5.  DOT 5 is silicone and should not be used in conventional brake systems.

DOT 4 is backwards compatible with DOT 3...  Just with better specs.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 01:52:33 pm »

No, DOT5 is silicone and is NOT compatible with any Kawasaki system.  DOT5.1, however, is OK.  Confusing as all heck isn't it?

Compatible fluids are:

DOT3 -> DOT4 -> DOT5.1  (with these you can use a higher number in a system that calls for a lower number)

INCOMPATIBLE fluid is: DOT5

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 01:53:21 pm »
Now, whats the difference between"synthetic" and Non-synthetic Fluids.....or is it ALL the same???

AFAIK, it's all the same.  All brake fluid is some form of polyethylene glycol.  I believe the "synthetic" labels are marketing.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 02:12:29 pm »

AFAIK, it's all the same.  All brake fluid is some form of polyethylene glycol.  I believe the "synthetic" labels are marketing.

I just did some non-scientific research on the BITOG Forums, and that seems to be the concensus.
Also, seems to be a concensus that most all Grades of Brake Fluid are created equal, until you get into the higher boiling points of
5.1 fluids, vs. DOT 4 / 3.

Looks like I'm on board with the "flush it more often with cheaper fluids" camp. 

The frugalness of this group is rubbing off on me!!!  >:(

gr

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:40 pm »
I like to flush mine every time I change the oil.  It takes only a couple $$ worth of fluid and it cheap insurance against ABS issues that have been shown to happen due to crud build-up in the lines.  Flush the fluid while you're waiting for the engine oil to drain out.  Do the final drive fluid at the same time also.

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 03:24:35 pm »
I like to flush mine every time I change the oil.  It takes only a couple $$ worth of fluid and it cheap insurance against ABS issues that have been shown to happen due to crud build-up in the lines.  Flush the fluid while you're waiting for the engine oil to drain out.  Do the final drive fluid at the same time also.
as usual, JWH20 is on the ball... agree with him on this, super cheap insurance.
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 04:51:10 pm »
Youre right. 
I already do the final drive with every OCI, it really shouldn't be that much harder to flush the brakes and clutch.

Admittedly, I have a Phoenix V12 bleeder system as well.

I have no excuses.  :truce:

gr

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 12:13:09 pm »
as usual, JWH20 is on the ball... agree with him on this, super cheap insurance.

I would be bleeding brakes on average of every 3 months based on 5,000 mile oil change. That's a little to much for me.

Cliff   :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 04:53:08 pm »

I would be bleeding brakes on average of every 3 months based on 5,000 mile oil change. That's a little to much for me.

Cliff   :beerchug:

My question to you would be, "How many months or miles does it take for the brake fluid to start collecting crud, absorbing water, or breaking down?"

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »
I would assume your question would depend on riding style JWH20... It would seem from a brake fluid perspective that it is not the same to ride it as if you were in the track, than to ride it like a grandpa (cough cough -Ted - cough cough  :)) ), would depend on how much and how someone is on the brakes, thus elevating the temperature of the fluid, or not, etc etc.

Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but that is just my humble opinion.

PS: U know i'm just pulling your leg Ted!  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:24:55 pm by Jerdurr, Reason: addressed to wrong name »
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 06:26:09 pm »
Hi,
      NO! ;D
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 03:59:27 pm »
I have seen dirt bikes that are regularly run Thur water.
I have seen road bikes that have many miles and years and never changed.
Then I have also seen some bikes a few years old and the fluid is changing color.
What seem to be most important is the quality of the seals and how clean
the forks are keep.