Author Topic: Brake Fluid: Motorcycle Specific Brand Worth It???  (Read 1489 times)

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Brake Fluid: Motorcycle Specific Brand Worth It???
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:36 pm »
Have you guys seen this brand? Its called "Pentosin"    My local Auto Parts store sells it.

The can it is supplied in looks amazing, and it just has to be a superior fluid....Its only another 2.00-3.00 more, per bottle, than anything else.

And to be serious, it is marked as "super dot4", its not very expensive, and its labeling suggests longer life as compared to .......well, sorry, they really never answer that question.

Is their such thing as a brake fluid that would last longer?
Ivans Ecu reflash, Brembo front rotors

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 11:32:16 pm »
I just bleed the brakes more often. Someone mentioned that to turn the key to the on position and to cycle the ABS unit so it would allow fresh fluid through the ABS pump. I did that and the fluid was clear as a bell when I did the bleeding. I saw no differences in fluid color.

I have some more DOT-4, going to do the fronts again for my May trip coming up. Just did the clutch and rear.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^interesting info above, thanks for sharing I will do some research on that.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2018, 05:39:30 pm »
I read through several old posts, and pretty sure it was either BDF or MOB that did a fairly comprehensive dissection of the Kawi ABS system.

Basically, it was determined that with the ignition off, the system (including abs pump) was "wide-open" and fluid being flushed out was not stored or contained within the abs loop.

While I have no knowldege of these systems, or ours in particular, i didn't have any issues using my Phoenix hand vac to purge all of the brake lines and clutch.  Took me about half a big-a** quart bottle of DOT4 fluid i picked-up in Autozone.

I'm going with the flush more often mentality from here on.  :great:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 06:36:00 am »
Pentosin was developed by a German chemical company for racing applications. It is now used by manufactures Audi (DOT 5.1) BMW (DOT5.1) Jaguar (Super DOT4) and others. 5.1 can be mixed with 4 but never 5.0. The Pentosin 5.1 was specifically developed for systems requiring very high purity and low viscosity such as ABS. Pentosin 5.1 has additional additives to extend its usable life. According to the Manufacture.

Personally I use Motul 5.1 and change it at least annually. All of the DOT rated brake fluids must meet the minimum standards. Just DON'T use DOT 5 and you'll be ok. The higher numbers mean (over simplified) higher boiling point not longer life. Brake fluid absorbs water, water causes corrosion, corrosion makes brake systems fail.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver