Author Topic: Brake help  (Read 810 times)

Offline Sharky1

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Brake help
« on: October 29, 2018, 12:30:50 am »
I have just flushed my front brakes after having them engage while riding on their own, and releasing soon after..suspected the return port, so checked it and found it unobstructed. Now I’m trying to bleed brakes with mityvac, and I’m getting no resistance at the master cylinder..also bled the master, no change. Really at a loss to understand it...any help? Thx.

Offline Rodney

• Tricycle
    • My Home Site
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8084
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Brake help
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 02:58:48 am »
I Had this problem a while ago. Put a hose on the front brake, opened the valve and squeezed the brake a couple times.  Did this for both the left and right slave cylinders.  Got a couple bubbles out of one of them and that fixed it.  Good luck.
'13 Concours14  Have Motorcycle Will Travel

Offline Staylo

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:20:22 am »
Not to be a wise guy, but just to make sure you’re not a new owner who is not aware, are you certain it’s not the linked brake system kicking in?  If you depress the rear brake with no front brake applied, the linked braking system will apply the front brake automatically. When you release the rear brake the system will release the front as well. If you’re already aware of this and it’s not the issue, my apologies and carry on.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:40:01 am »
 :PDT_Armataz_01_37:
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:45:08 am »
May or may not help, but some comments. Just flushed my brakes this weekend, 2015 model. I found air in the system of the front brakes and clutch. I noticed a volume of pretty ugly fluid came from the ABS pump, looks like life is harder for the fluid there. I'd be a little suspect of that area if maintenance has not been kept up.
When reattaching calipers, I apply the brakes hard before tightening the bolts. This aligns the caliper mechanism to the disk and the pads tend to drag less.
Any time wheels are off, I generally take a moment to spread the pads and slave cylinders all the way apart in the calipers to keep the slaves moving freely. The slaves can stick from corrosion or dirt if left alone for long, causing brake drag from the pistons not moving freely. This forces you to take a close look also at the action and parts, helping you see possible issues and wear.
I hope you are able to fix the problem.

Offline Vader

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 05:00:16 pm »
To Reply #5: "I noticed a volume of pretty ugly fluid came from the ABS pump, looks like life is harder for the fluid there. I'd be a little suspect of that area if maintenance has not been kept up."
How did you know that dirty fluid came from the ABS pump? Is there a bleed valve there? If so, where is it located?

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 06:49:02 pm »
While not exactly on the original post subject, I would add this. Get the Speed Bleeder Valves from Murph's web site. You cannot believe the degree to which these little gems make bleeding brakes or clutch a simple and successful job. I've fooled with Mighty Vac, syringes, vacuum bottles, and so on.  The speed bleeders are the bomb.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 09:24:03 pm »
When I bled the brakes the 1st time the rear caliper had some really dark fluid come out. I had the bike maybe 2 years. Now I bleed the brakes front and rear twice a year. Lots of threads discussing this finding of dirty contaminated brake fluid especially coming out of the rear caliper bleeder nipples.

Speed bleeders are the bomb! Have them on many vehicles, but I use this for the bikes I have.

636 Distributing, Inc 990073 Brake Bleeder, simple and it works.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:28:06 pm by gpd323 »
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Rick

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:27:38 pm »
I have problems with my rear brake after bleeding. Mine is an 08, so they are not linked. I attached speed bleeders, but only got a little fluid out on the first pedal push. I attached a vacuum bleeder, but it didn't work with the speed bleeders, so I reinstalled the original bleeders. Flushed both sides, and got clear fluid. But now the brake is not working. The pedal has no resistance. Do I need to ride the bike to reset the abs pump or something? The original rear brake was replaced by Kawasaki years ago, so I don't know if this one differs from the original in any way. They, of course, provided no details about what was wrong.