Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 3425 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2017, 02:01:07 pm »
Just for reference purposes, EBC pads don't have that groove, and are also almost .090" thinner than OEM's... I was surprised by how thin that material was... and a bit depressed... but they seemed to last well... and the hisssss doesn't bother me.
I am gonna use OEM gen II or III pads next time, for another comparo.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 01:55:43 pm »
Gonna bump this thread ---

Is there a "safe" method for pushing the pistons of the front calipers out, to replace worn out pads?

Usually the shade-tree method is to use a c-clamp and the old pads, or similar method absent the proper tools.

Is this easily accomplished on the C14's calipers??  I'd like to do this myself, and just want to be sure I won't mess up the caliper or pistons.

THanks.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 03:04:26 pm »
I just use a Flathead screwdriver to pry/push the old pads and pistons all the way in, in fact I just did that yesterday when I installed a new front tire. I have  330mm front rotors and unless the pads/pistons are fully pushed in I am unable to remove/replace the calipers. Tight fit.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 05:50:38 pm »
+1 on 2 Gen OEM pads - quiet, long life and great overall performance.  Have had EBC HH and I prefer OEM.

Offline RS

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 9763
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 07:10:22 pm »
Has anyone used Galfer pads and rotors?

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2018, 09:15:03 pm »
yes, on my 09  i cooked 2 sets of oem rotors, got tired of replacing them. went to galfer pads and rotors and was really impressed. never had another rotor problem and braking was excellent.. they are a little pricey but what the hell, you can' take it with you. imho they are worth every penny.. when it comes time to replace on my 16, i'll go to galfer,, maybe sooner if i cook these... :)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 & counting!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2018, 11:07:43 pm »
Gonna bump this thread ---

Is there a "safe" method for pushing the pistons of the front calipers out, to replace worn out pads?

Usually the shade-tree method is to use a c-clamp and the old pads, or similar method absent the proper tools.

Is this easily accomplished on the C14's calipers??  I'd like to do this myself, and just want to be sure I won't mess up the caliper or pistons.

THanks.

gr

I just use a Flathead screwdriver to pry/push the old pads and pistons all the way in, in fact I just did that yesterday when I installed a new front tire. I have  330mm front rotors and unless the pads/pistons are fully pushed in I am unable to remove/replace the calipers. Tight fit.

I do it exactly as Greg said, always have. Did it just today mounting tires, never been a problem.

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline RS

• Training Wheels
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 02:15:57 pm »
Thanks for the review of Galfer brakes. I’m sick of pulsing brakes so I have Galfer pads and rotors f&r ready for install. I’ve gone through 2sets of EBC . I’ve tried the scuff pads etc., I’m just want relief. I’ll report back after I’m back on the road

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 02:30:05 pm »

I do it exactly as Greg said, always have. Did it just today mounting tires, never been a problem.

[/quote]

Cliff -

Did I miss it, or did you say what brand of pads you replaced with??

thanks,
gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 02:32:59 pm »
Has anyone used Galfer pads and rotors?

Not the rotors but the pads on my KLR, black compound. Nice pad compound, no issues. I'll stay with OEM pads on the C14. I hate EBC's BTW! As for rotors I have the 330 mm Brake-Techs on mine. No EBC rotors or pads will touch my bikes.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 & counting!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 10:15:04 pm »

Cliff -

Did I miss it, or did you say what brand of pads you replaced with??

thanks,
gr
[/quote]

When I replaced my rotors I went with EBC. Both pads & rotors, both have 65,000 miles on them now. Pads look to be at about 40% left, checked them yesterday while installing tires. Rotors showing little to no wear. I'm not a heavy on the brakes & have a lot of highway miles.

They work well for me. Previously had Galfer  & OEM pad's.

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 12:23:10 am »
I went with EBC Vee rotors and OEM pads on me ‘12 - fantastic!  Very smooth and linear with great initial bite.

Offline RS

• Training Wheels
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 11:10:41 am »
Just got a ride in, 73 degrees in the northeast woohoo! Galfer pads and rotors all around. Just about bedded in, so far absolutely no pulsing or hiss. How refreshing.

Offline smokin

• Tricycle
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 01:50:53 pm »
Fitting Brembo 320mm serie oro rotors and EBC HH  pads after suffering brake shudder with the OEM rotors and pads.
Did experience the situation with pad build up on the rotors,the OEM pads look like organic pads to me on my 2014 GTR1400 .
Cleaned the rotors several times to remove pad buildup,but the shudder comes back.Fitted a set of Metal Gear front and rear pads,shudder went away for a while but after a long ride up and down mountainous country shudder has returned.
Rotors now have to much run out according to Kawasaki specifications.
Looked at Galfer rotors,but decided to go with 320mm Brembos which come with longer caliper bolts and spacers.

Offline RS

• Training Wheels
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:37 am »
Please let us know how the Brembo rotors perform. Does Brembo make a pad, or recommend a pad to use? Galfer will only warranty their rotors when paired with Galfer pads.
RS