Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 1431 times)

Offline andydude

• Scooter
  • Let's Ride !!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10598
  • Membership Level: Active
Brake pads
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:39:24 am »
Looking for a great peforming brake pad (front and rear), not nessessarily the longer lasting. I'm now using the EBC HH and wondering if others out perform them ?  Thank you for any input on this !
2012 Black C14

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:29:46 am »
Andy,
The best ones out there are the Kawi factory and the EBC HH. Kawi pads are noticeably quieter in operation but have a little bit less initial bite on application.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline instructor

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11886
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:57:33 pm »
Not long ago went to my dealer parts counter and inquired as to which brand of brake pads they sell and he went through a long list of mfg.s for me.  After showing me all of this he asked "why don't you just replace them with factory ones, they are good ones from our experience..."  That's what I am going to do in the near future. 

Offline andydude

• Scooter
  • Let's Ride !!
  • COG#: 10598
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »
Thanks for the input guys !! 👍
2012 Black C14

Offline GIant81

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12285
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 04:35:46 pm »
hope I'm not thread digging too badly but didn't want to start ANOTHER thread on the same thing.

So if I'm reading this right, there is a whole list of third party pads for the connie, but mainly it domes down to EBC HH for better performance at reduced life and a bit more noise, or OEM for solid performance at longer life and quieter operation.

Everything else is just fluff?

I typically automatically figure that anything OEM isn't going to be amazing, just good enough.  So, there is always something out there that's quite a bit better for minimal additional investment.  Is this not the case with the C14?

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 04:42:04 pm »
'Better' pads are almost always equated to racing and would chew up rotors until up to temp on a track.

'Cheaper' pads would be fluff.

EBC double sintered HH on the front and Kawi organic on the rear for me. Both are proven performers at street riding temps and I don't like a grabby rear pad.

My $0.02  :beerchug:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:52:48 pm »
The second (and now third) generation OEM pads have been reformulated to reduce migration of pad material to a hot rotor, after its heated, and you come to a stop and hold the brakes on...  this caused a "shudder effect" people thought were warped rotors on the first edition C14's... but when the rotors were abrasively cleaned with a pad, ad BrakeKleen, it went away... but there were some warped rotors back then... so... it happens.

With that said, ALL generations of C14 pads are HH rated (sintered pads) both front, and rear.... the OEM pads have a thicker actual pad, thus they will last a bit longer... and still give good performance...
I have measured both the EBC and OEM pads, and the EBC pads have a significant thickness reduction, but they work great, but then again, they do have a tendancy to "hissss" on the front pads.. I don't know why, they just do..
Rear pads don't seem to have that issue, but mine were  replaced under warrantee when my brake pedal siezed up and toasted the rears... they are still hanging in, and I have only done the fronts, with EBC HH ones...
The next pad change I will return to OEM pads, of CURRENT production, and see how that goes, I'm thinking they will live long, and prosper, and still deliver good braking...

Your mmv

Using OEM pads is not bad, just a bit more $

But they do work fine..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline angelo

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 11:03:54 pm »
I have a question about these pads.  Mine did in fact have a warped rotor, so the seller added brand new ebc rotors that I installed. 

Is it accurate that ebc rotors should have ebc sintered pads or are they interchangeable with the oem sintered?  Planning on changing the fronts before my AR trip, so buying soon....

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:37 pm »
Where is the best place to purchase OEM pads-- Murphs?  I'm due for a check up and will probably need to replace soon.

2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 11:50:09 pm »
I have ra question about these pads.  Mine did in fact have a warped rotor, so the seller added brand new ebc rotors that I installed. 

Is it accurate that ebc rotors should have ebc sintered pads or are they interchangeable with the oem sintered?  Planning on changing the fronts before my AR trip, so buying soon....

EBC rotors will be just fine with the OEM pads, no issue, and please report back on how you felt they worked.. the only issue with EBC is they want your money for a pad and rotor combo, simply put, a marketing ploy, but also to cover are if you used some obscure "inferior" pad, like vesra, or "e-bay cheaper than can be believed possible" pads.

As for OEM pads, denniskirk.com or ronayers.com should have them, price em out, add in delivery cost, and make sure they are in stock, and compare to your local Kaw outlets prices...

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 12:53:06 am »
I tried Kevlar pads once on my C14, and it was almost embarrassing to apply the brakes cuz they sounded like rubbing a pair of cymbals together. I went back to EBC after just a few hundred miles
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 02:01:00 am »
I tried Kevlar pads once on my C14, and it was almost embarrassing to apply the brakes cuz they sounded like rubbing a pair of cymbals together. I went back to EBC after just a few hundred miles

They never beded in, takes a lot more miles, as they are sfter by nature, unless you had pristine machined rotors... just adding that... and yes, the kevlar pads are not aggressive..and require a new and flat not jsed surface to "bed " into.

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 03:26:47 am »

They never beded in, takes a lot more miles, as they are sfter by nature, unless you had pristine machined rotors... just adding that... and yes, the kevlar pads are not aggressive..and require a new and flat not jsed surface to "bed " into.

Thx MOB
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:58 pm »
Andy,
The best ones out there are the Kawi factory and the EBC HH. Kawi pads are noticeably quieter in operation but have a little bit less initial bite on application.
Matt
I ran two sets of EBC brake pads, the last set lasting 21,000 miles.  I went back to the OEM Kawasaki pads yesterday and totally agree with Matt's post. The first thing I noticed with the Kawasaki pads is that I'm stopping and there is no hissing noise. I also like that the groove in the pads gives a much better visual when inspecting the pads that they are close to being done.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 11:02:11 am »
Guys --

Understanding that everybody's braking habits are different....I'm still on the original set of OEM pads, 17k miles, and noticing visually that
I may need new fronts soon.

Question is:  about how many miles should I expect from the OEM's, and what is the general visual inspection / measurement criteria for determining is the pads are shot??

Planning on using the OEM Kawi pads when I replace....they've worked well, thus far.

Thanks.

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 11:30:26 am »
I would start looking at them closely around 15K miles. I was expecting 25K, and was a bit shocked that the left caliper pads were just about gone at 21K.  The pads do not wear the same, since some but not all of the front calipers are used when the rear brake pedal is pressed.  If you wanted max life, I suppose you could only replace the pads with the most wear.  I chose to replace the front and rear each time, even though the rear had plenty of life.  As you said braking habits differ, and not every rider or every season for the same rider will be the same. 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »
I just swap the pads around on my calipers, even out the wear that way and I have 34K and still lots of pad life front and rear left.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:27 am »
I just swap the pads around on my calipers, even out the wear that way and I have 34K and still lots of pad life front and rear left.

THat's something I never would have thought to do.  :017:

Interesting.

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 12:09:17 pm »
http://forum.cog-online.org/motorcycle-safety/don't-cheap-out-on-brakes/msg458626/#msg458626

I read brake pads and this post came back to mind. Just something to consider.
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2017, 01:02:06 pm »
I have used gen. 1 OEM, gen. 2 OEM and EBC. Overall, I prefer OEM due to noise and 'bite', I find the EBC to be a bit 'wooden' feeling (Easy Boys! I mean unresponsive).

The difference between gen.1 and gen.2 front pads is really pretty extreme: the gen. 1 pads ('08 through '10) are outstanding regarding performance, initial bite, progressive braking and all around performers. The downside, compared with gen. 2 pads is that they do not last as long, generate a huge amount of brake dust and again, have a pronounced initial bite which I like but perhpas not everyone does. Gen. 2 pads eliminate the brake dust almost completely, last considerably longer (30% or more at an absolutely wild guess) and are less expensive. Kawasaki introduced the gen. 2 pads in an effort to reduce rotor warping but it was not successful.

All the front brake pads I have tried on the C-14 have been excellent; gen. 1 OEM stand alone as outstanding IMO.

Brian

I ran two sets of EBC brake pads, the last set lasting 21,000 miles.  I went back to the OEM Kawasaki pads yesterday and totally agree with Matt's post. The first thing I noticed with the Kawasaki pads is that I'm stopping and there is no hissing noise. I also like that the groove in the pads gives a much better visual when inspecting the pads that they are close to being done.
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:57 pm »
I recently replaced my front brake pads with OEMs which had EBCs before. I agree the EBCs did last long but find the braking performance and noise better using OEMs.

Here on out, I will be using OEMs since I also like the visual indicator too.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 12:28:12 pm »
Visual Indicator???

....tell me more.....  :beerchug:

Also, recommends for sourcing / buying OEM pads??

thanks,
gr

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
Visual Indicator???

....tell me more.....  :beerchug:

Also, recommends for sourcing / buying OEM pads??

thanks,
gr

There are machined cuts in the center of the pads going almost to the backing plate, when the cuts (grooves or whatever you call them) are no longer visible the pads are at its max wear point and needs to be replaced. Either pull off a caliper and look, rear is easiest, or use a flashlight and peer at the pads and you should see the machined grooves.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »
Notch or Groove in the center of the pad, when that notch is gone better be looking for a new set of pads
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 12:49:41 pm »
Thanks guys!

gonna go look right now.