Author Topic: brake rotor bobbin question  (Read 2070 times)

Offline strum

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
brake rotor bobbin question
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:43 pm »
 I watched some videos about how to clean the bobbins and im wondering if its worth trying.
  My 08 has a little bit of pulsing which I see from posts on the forum is an ongoing issue.
  Searching the internet i see a lot of mixed thoughts on freeing these bobbins.
 Some say its worth a try others say dont mess with them.
 What  do you guys say?
  I would like to hear MOB,Matt, and Steve in Sunny Florida's thoughts if you guys have a min thanks.
  or anyone else who has experience with this ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:07:44 pm by strum »
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: brake rotor bobbin question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:27:45 pm »
I watched some videos about how to clean the bobbins and im wondering if its worth trying.
  My 08 has a little bit of pulsing which I see from posts on the forum is an ongoing issue.
 What  do you guys say?
  I would like to hear MOB,Matt, and Steve in Sunny Florida's thoughts if you guys have a min thanks.

I have not done mine yet on my '08 but think I will this spring, just for the sake of doing so, and to see how much grit comes out.
I have had very few instances of shuddering on my bike, and mostly it was before I swapped to EBC pads years ago, I did find cleaning the rotors with BrakeKleen and a scotchbrit pad helped that, and do that whenever I feel any funny stuff, seemed to cure it everytime.

The videos of the bobbin cleaning using a bolt, a couple washers, and a nut to "spin" the bobbin while blasting it with spray seem pretty simple, and straightforward, might give it a try and report back...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Kman

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10569
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:31:20 pm »
I've done my bobbins twice now. The first time was after 2 years of ownership and they were really tight and difficult to free up, but the second time they were really easy. I think it's worthwhile and I plan to do them again before spring. 
2012 Black, PR4GTs, Guhl Flash, CS1 Slip-on, Blaster X Brake Flasher, Cree 10W Lights, H4 Extreme Bulbs, Baldwin Heated Seat, Screaming Banshee Horn, MRA VarioTouring Screen, Throttlemeister, Crampbuster, ProjectD Radiator Guard, Front & Rear Fender Extenders, Techspec Snakeskin Saddlebag Protectors, Techmount GPS Bracket, OEM Tank Guard, 47L Top Bag, Helmet Locks, ProjectD Kickstand Bigfoot

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:34:11 pm »
Strum,
If you cannot easily move the bobbins I would recommend doing the procedure to clear them out. They need to be able to move some. A scotch bride or 120 grit emory paper may solve your pulse issue also.
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:56 pm »
Strum,
If you cannot easily move the bobbins I would recommend doing the procedure to clear them out. They need to be able to move some. A scotch bride or 120 grit emory paper may solve your pulse issue also.
Matt

Splain how you reemove them to me....
I've only seen the method for turning them while in place, and spraying BrakeKleen in while doing so, to free them up.... :??:

Also, some aftermarket discs have polygonal bobbins that eo not allow "spinning" them, but they can be moved back and forth to allow some cleaner to get in there and remove grit from the mating parts.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline mattchewn

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 10993
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:55:51 pm »
MOB,
Nowhere in my response did I mention"remove" the bobbins. Only free them up. Since he is most likely having the issue with factory rotors with round bobbins he can use the bolt/nut rotate procedure. If that doesn't work he can most certainly drop 800$+ on some shiny new Kawi rotors!  :))
Maybe he can show us how to turn and free up the hexagonal ones!   :))
Matt
2015 C14  Poison Ivy. I feel the itch!
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R  Wheelie sweet!!

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:18:11 pm »
The rotors are not semi floating as Kawi says. The buttons are rigid and do not spin. They call this semi-floating but they are not really. You cannot get them to rotate. If you have juddering then the rotors are warped. Clean them all ya want, sand them down all ya want it will make zero difference.

The only option is to replace them with a new set. I have Brake-Techs on mine.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline strum

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:58:19 pm »
I tried the procedure. They all moved, some easier than others . After spraying and working them I got them all to move about the same.
 Cannot spin them by hand but they move fairly easy with a socket. I didnt get a chance to ride it so i cant tell if I helped it er not.
 Defiantly ready for a new set of pads.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 12:15:42 pm »
I clean mine with brake cleaner and use an allen wrench to free them up. They don't spin but they I think they should turn easily.  I was getting a little pulsing that went away after doing it.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline Sailor Rich

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9318
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 02:31:12 pm »
Do the test with a dial indicator before jumping to the conclusion of a warped rotor. Check the brake pad wear if you don't have even wear a piston might not be retracting and causing this uneven wear and heating up the rotor causing the pulsation. This is a problem I have had. I replaced the dust and pressure washers as well as the culprit piston. Try removing one caliper and inserting a spacer between the pads and tying it up. Do a short ride and confirm which side one or both is the culprit. It might not be the rotors.

Offline strum

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 03:11:35 pm »
I paid a guy to do a bunch of service work back in december.  He did take the calipers off , cleaned and inspected and did a run out test.
  He recommended some new pads and i declined at that time but now i sort of regret it lol.
  The first thing he did was when i drove up, he was waiting with an infared thermometer in his hand checking temps.
  Both rotors were even temps. Any way we talked extensively about these rotors and their issues. Of course he recommended Gaflers.
 I think im gonna order some EBC pads and give the rotors a good scotch brite cleaning then go from there

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 06:44:19 pm by strum »
2008 C-14

Offline strum

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 07:10:28 pm »
I went for a ride today and they felt really good. not sure if it was the bobbin trick or the rotor cleaning but the pulse is gone for now.
 Thanks guys .
2008 C-14

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 05:16:28 pm »
 What  do you guys say?
For all the years I've been doing general maintenance on my bikes, how did I not hear, read, or watch this procedure somewhere??  :-[
I've gotta crawl out from under the rock once in a while. Going to do this ASAP...

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 06:50:39 pm »
Cleaning the rotors with scotchbrit pad or sandpaper does most certainly clear the pulsing caused by built up pad material. I found the OEM pads would leave pad material on a hot front rotor if you used the front brake to hold the bike while stopped on an incline. The EBC pads are squeaky.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline strum

• Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 12:29:21 am »
And that may what I had . buildup i mean . I didnt use any scotchbrite or sandpaper .i just cleaned with brake cleaner and cloth .
 Rode wolf pen gap with my wife on the back today and no pulsing at all so im happy.
2008 C-14

Offline strum

• Road Bike
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 07:49:04 pm »
 Just to update this . I installed EBCs front and rear and after some break in I can say my brakes are feel really good now.
   Did the bobbin turning help?. Im still not sure but i do believe the rotor cleaning was worth the effort. Thanks guys for your help
2008 C-14

Offline Steiny

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 06:47:42 pm »
And that may what I had . buildup i mean . I didnt use any scotchbrite or sandpaper .i just cleaned with brake cleaner and cloth .
 Rode wolf pen gap with my wife on the back today and no pulsing at all so im happy.

That is one of the best roads I have ever been on !     I stay at High Valley when in GA.

Can't wait to get back down there in a few months  :motonoises:

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 07:30:41 pm »

That is one of the best roads I have ever been on !     I stay at High Valley when in GA.

Iff'n you wait until the weekend after Labor Day you can meet 80-100 of your close personal friends at the Run With The Wolf Rally held at Two Wheels of Suches(formerly T.W.O.). The whole resort is pretty much ours for the four day rally. Most excellent time. I think all of the inside lodging and the cabins are already booked solid, though. Plenty of room for tents.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Steiny

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 05:28:18 pm »

Iff'n you wait until the weekend after Labor Day you can meet 80-100 of your close personal friends at the Run With The Wolf Rally held at Two Wheels of Suches(formerly T.W.O.). The whole resort is pretty much ours for the four day rally. Most excellent time. I think all of the inside lodging and the cabins are already booked solid, though. Plenty of room for tents.

Thanks , I'll try to keep that weekend open and get back down there  :)

Offline strum

• Road Bike
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »
The funny thing is around here they just roads to us. Until i got back into riding i didnt even know they were so famous. :-[
2008 C-14

Offline Con05_NH

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 8318
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:07 am »
After 2 sets of rotors, cross-hatch with high speed fiber disc pads, replacing oem pads I still had minor pulsating. As last effort before ordering after market rotors I took a bolt and nut, and snugged tight enough to get them to turn. The trick is to have the slot pointing down so the grit can escape. Problem solved and have been pulsate free for 20,000 miles.  I was amazed how much grit was in each one.  Give it a try. :)

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 11:35:10 am »
The funny thing is around here they just roads to us. Until i got back into riding i didnt even know they were so famous. :-[

+100   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
..and they're a LOT "better" (for trucks and cages) than when we started riding them as kids.. 
2014 C-14

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 06:54:55 pm »
Stupid question: What size bolt / washers do you use to clean the bobbins?
Brake cleaner...chlorinated or non-Cl?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 11:12:16 pm »

8mm Can't help on the formulation.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 11:19:18 pm »
Chlorinated solvents will do a number on paint and powdercoat.