Author Topic: Brake rotor opinions  (Read 3560 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Brake rotor opinions
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2018, 06:17:08 pm »
as I covered this a short while ago for someone with a similar issue on another forum, I'll cut and paste the parts i noted.
There were 3 successive pad composition changes since the '08 came out ( and people started to document the 'brake shudder', and complain to Kaw)

they all interchange, so the pad composition is the only difference as upgrades were made.
I'm running EBC pads still, and when they finally do wear out, will likely install the most recent OEM pads produced, just for a test... on my '08. Which still has the rotors it came with.

here's the chronological part list/changeover points:

2008 & 2009 model     43082-0071   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE

2010 & 2011 model  43082-0112   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE

2012 & up model     43082-0122   PAD-ASSY-BRAKE

3 total pad versions were made.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Online br

• Bicycle
  • If you wana get fast, ride lots
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:37 pm »
Had the same issue with my 2011.The parts tech where I bought the bike said, if we replaced the rotors with ZX14 rotors and new pads no more problems. He was right. I now have almost 50.000 miles on the bike now. They were also covered under warranty.

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2018, 10:56:45 pm »

so, using the latest pads, OEM, for the Gen 2.5, or EBC's, still are the way to go... ... because lets face it, if you put on 'new' rotors, why not 'new pads also'

Will do. Probably 2 weeks out.

Naaahhh... no sense in using new pads, rotors are cheap and he can just buy nee ones when the replacements get deposits on them.  :great:

New rotors with old pads?? That's like putting new socks on dirty feet. I realize you think I'm foolish to throw money away on new rotors when all they need is a clean. Why would Kawasaki have their techs replace rotors under warranty instead of just changing the pads and sanding the rotors?  Doesn't really matter though - I get the impression that your way is the only way?

No, that isn't my way, but I also don't replace things that don't need replacing. Also, be sure you get pads that don't leave the deposits, or you will end up where you started.

No, Kawasaki only replace rotors under warranty if they out of specs for runout, which they check with a dial-indicator. If they aren't out of spec, they won't warranty them. I had one set replaced early on, they were warped, my second set exhibited the same symptoms, they were within spec. I cleaned them and all was well.

So no, it isn't my way. You are welcome to buy new rotors, I personally don't care, but I will tell you unless you get pads that don't leave residue, you may have issues again. I have EBCs and though they have been better than my original pads, the rotors now need cleaned again, it just took longer this time. I can also say that unless you have checked your rotors for runout and you know they are warped beyond the allowable specs, you could probable clean them for less money, in less time, and have the same results.

So yeah, people are messing with you, but they are also telling the truth. My dad told me years that he learned from other people's mistakes, because he said he would live long enough to make them all himself.

I appreciate this forum and the good advice. I know there is a ton of knowledge built up over yeas of riding between all of us. I'll be putting EBC's on and hopefully that'll be that.

After you get them on, let us know how the install went, and how you like them. That is a great price for a pair.

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 10:57:51 pm »

so, using the latest pads, OEM, for the Gen 2.5, or EBC's, still are the way to go... ... because lets face it, if you put on 'new' rotors, why not 'new pads also'

Naaahhh... no sense in using new pads, rotors are cheap and he can just buy nee ones when the replacements get deposits on them.  :great:

New rotors with old pads?? That's like putting new socks on dirty feet. I realize you think I'm foolish to throw money away on new rotors when all they need is a clean. Why would Kawasaki have their techs replace rotors under warranty instead of just changing the pads and sanding the rotors?  Doesn't really matter though - I get the impression that your way is the only way?

No, that isn't my way, but I also don't replace things that don't need replacing. Also, be sure you get pads that don't leave the deposits, or you will end up where you started.

No, Kawasaki only replace rotors under warranty if they out of specs for runout, which they check with a dial-indicator. If they aren't out of spec, they won't warranty them. I had one set replaced early on, they were warped, my second set exhibited the same symptoms, they were within spec. I cleaned them and all was well.

So no, it isn't my way. You are welcome to buy new rotors, I personally don't care, but I will tell you unless you get pads that don't leave residue, you may have issues again. I have EBCs and though they have been better than my original pads, the rotors now need cleaned again, it just took longer this time. I can also say that unless you have checked your rotors for runout and you know they are warped beyond the allowable specs, you could probable clean them for less money, in less time, and have the same results.

So yeah, people are messing with you, but they are also telling the truth. My dad told me years that he learned from other people's mistakes, because he said he would live long enough to make them all himself.

I appreciate this forum and the good advice. I know there is a ton of knowledge built up over yeas of riding between all of us. I'll be putting EBC's on and hopefully that'll be that.

After you get them on, let us know how the install went, and how you like them. That is a great price for a pair.

Will do. That's about 2 weeks out.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 11:35:38 pm »
as I covered this a short while ago for someone with a similar issue on another forum, I'll cut and paste the parts i noted.
There were 3 successive pad composition changes since the '08 came out ( and people started to document the 'brake shudder', and complain to Kaw)

they all interchange, so the pad composition is the only difference as upgrades were made.
I'm running EBC pads still, and when they finally do wear out, will likely install the most recent OEM pads produced, just for a test... on my '08. Which still has the rotors it came with.

MOB; Mine is a 16 and I still experience the shutter, the first time I took it to the dealer they preformed a run out test for warped rotors said they were straight as an arrow and sent me on my way. I have been cleaning the rotors ever since and the shutter goes away every time, I don't think they have solved the problem may want to stick with the EBC pads.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2018, 11:44:16 pm »
How often, and how do you do the clean?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2018, 12:00:06 am »
Every 2 to 3 thousand miles seems like, I use a 120 grit foam sanding pad as I find Scotch Brite tends to get stuck in the cooling holes.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2018, 12:19:52 am »
Had the same issue with my 2011.The parts tech where I bought the bike said, if we replaced the rotors with ZX14 rotors and new pads no more problems. He was right. I now have almost 50.000 miles on the bike now. They were also covered under warranty.

glad he fixed you up. :great: :great:
it was the new pads.
the ZX14 rotor is identcal to the ZG rotor, with exception of the hub portion paint on some years.

just mentioning that, :great: :great:

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2018, 02:50:40 am »

MOB; Mine is a 16 and I still experience the shutter, the first time I took it to the dealer they preformed a run out test for warped rotors said they were straight as an arrow and sent me on my way. I have been cleaning the rotors ever since and the shutter goes away every time, I don't think they have solved the problem may want to stick with the EBC pads.

I still get it with the EBCs. I need to clean mine now. Unless that is, they have warped. I doubt it though, they have been doing it a while and at one point I went to the dealer and they were still in specs. They have gotten worse lately, but I have done a bit of hard, two up, fully loaded riding though the back roads of WV in the past month. I'll clean them first, then see how it is.

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »
We'll be waiting to read what you find out. Good luck.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2018, 11:37:17 pm »
God have I been lucky , only time anything gets cleaned is pad time , EBC .
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline smokin

• Tricycle
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »
Fitted 320mm Brembo oreo with longer caliper bolt kit to my 2014 GTR1400,these were the ones to suit a ZX14R.
Cheaper than OEM,slightly dearer that Galfer and EBC.
Fitted EBC HH pads.
Very impressed with them.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2018, 12:41:44 pm »
Must be fun putting air in them.
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »
Must be fun putting air in them.

:??: :rotflmao: ::) :rotflmao:

they are only .2" larger radially... can't say it would make it more difficult...

I do like the Silver Nail Polish tho... really caught my eye in the photo...
Looks very chic with the new rotor...
 :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2018, 07:58:06 pm »
Fitted 320mm Brembo oreo with longer caliper bolt kit to my 2014 GTR1400,these were the ones to suit a ZX14R.
Fitted EBC HH pads.

They are only .2" larger radially... can't say it would make it more difficult...

So, ours are 310 MM Dia.?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2018, 08:17:39 pm »
Fitted EBC HH pads.

They are only .2" larger radially... can't say it would make it more difficult...

So, ours are 310 MM Dia.?

Ride safe, Ted

D'as whut KamaSaki says on Da web thing...

Front BrakesDual floating 310mm petal-style rotors with four-piston calipers, ABS
Rear BrakesSingle 270mm petal-style rotor, single-piston caliper, ABS

:))

by the way.... I love me sum Oreo's... and demersum BIG Oreo's... gonna need a BIGGGGG glass o' milk for one of those... mmmmmmmm
Fitted 320mm Brembo oreo with longer caliper bolt kit to my 2014 GTR1400,

"Honey, can I have $580, I wanna go to the Convenient Food mart, and pick up some Oreo's..?"  and milk...
joke.... laugh dammit.... :truce: :rotflmao: :nananana:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:35:39 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2018, 10:05:41 pm »
$580...………….   :-\

This brings us back to me askin' if the Chinese made a larger dia. Rotor that would fit our bikes.. {Post #25}

Let's say that someone was buying rotors anyway.
In that circumstance,,  wouldn't bigger rotors be worth doing if "someone" knew where to find them "Cheap"??

For instance:  "these".. ($220 / pair)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/320mm-Oversized-Brake-Disc-Rotor-for-Kawasaki-ZX6R-NINJA-636-ZX-10R-Z-800-e-ABS/192512696431?hash=item2cd2a6a06f:g:nhoAAOSwKoFa1UdO&vxp=mtr

Warped Mind Reasoning:  These are supposed to fit a ZX-10R, or Versys 1000,,
                                            {I "think" a ZX-10R is the same as a ZX-14 or ZX-14R}?
                                                  "and",,,, a ZX-14 and 14R are the same as ours..
                                                            Soo,, mebbee they would fit??
                                                                             >:D

Thoughts?  :sign0151:

Ride safe, Ted   :s_bye2:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:08:08 pm by connie_rider »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2018, 11:23:58 pm »
can't say for certain, ZX1000 and 1400 differ, in p/n's..
shutting off now, brain fulll.
want burger... later...... :truce:

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2018, 12:26:49 am »
Yea. I'm not sure either.
I think the stock ZX-10R and the Versys 1000 OD may be 300 mm, if so the part number would be different because of that OD...
Hole/bolt pattern appears to be the same.. Did learn that all use the same ABS sensor Ring.

This one, indicates that they are the same. (Being Chinese, that's questionable)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Brake-Rotor-Disc-Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX6R-ZX10R-ZX14R-ZG1400-GTR-ZZR-1400-Z800/141536434993?hash=item20f43a9b31:g:Q-8AAOSw1vlUsIGq&vxp=mtr

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:09:35 pm by connie_rider »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 12:45:48 am »

你满是狗屎

你满是狗屎
Nǐ mǎn shì gǒu shǐ

你在讲什么屁话
nǐ zài jiǎng shén me pì huà

been watching A LOT OF kUNG fU MOVIES ON nETFLIX LATELY... GOOD STUFF...

peace bro..

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2018, 01:10:47 pm »
Not even a guess?
Oh well,, wuz a thought.
  {Sissy}

Maybe someone else knows?

Ride safe, Ted

NOTE; Received a reply from the 320 mm manufacturer.
            Rotor ID and number of mounting holes are the same. Asked for BC and hole sizes.
            Requested confirmation from other supplier that ZX-10 and AX-14/ZG are the same.

Another update; Received more info.
                        Apparently these rotors will fit our bikes,,
                         BUT: they are made like the rotors for the Earlier C-14's. (I think they had a smaller hub diameter?)
                          I recall their was a revision made on the earlier C-14's but don't recall what it was?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:11:23 pm by connie_rider »

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2018, 11:27:43 pm »
Rotors made it here before the pads. Hopefully install them this weekend..

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2018, 04:56:49 pm »
cooked the rotors on my 2016, just like i did on my 09..rotors were hot spotted just like they did on my 09.. i just installed new galfer rotors and pads, pulsing disappeared and brake feel and performance much improved, just like my 09.. the galfer rotors on my 09 went over 70k and worked flawlessly. i expect the same on my 16..they are pricey but to me well worth the expense..i also had to shim the abs sensor out to maintain factory clearance. it,s only money, you can't take it with you.. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2018, 03:38:41 am »
Replaced pads and rotors tonight and took it for a ride - not impressed. A bit of history on this bike.... I bought it about 4 months ago with 4000 miles on it and at the time of purchase I remarked that the rubber part of the drivers foot pegs looked a little too worn to have only 4K on it but a quick glance at the rest of the bike made me think I was fine. The pre purchase road test showed me a little something iffy with the brakes but I had read about the linked brakes on these early models being a bit weird and I just put it down to that, it didn't bother me too much. So I bought it, but after a bit of aggressive 2 up riding I noticed that the fronts definitely had a pulsation.
     I decided to go with the cheap Chinese rotors since there were so many positive reviews on here about them, and as the stock pads were talked about for leaving deposits on the disks I ordered new EBC's too. When I took the pads out they were at least 70% worn out (7500 miles now on the clock - I'm wondering if someone disconnected the speedo and there actually were more miles on this than indicated, and if there were more miles put on her I assume the kinda person that would do that would be driving the s**t out of it / hard on brakes) Slapped the new parts on the bike this evening but the brake in ride was not inspiring.
     Everything been checked for torque and correct installation, but the initial bite from a moderate speed acts like the brakes are modulating and as you pull harder (somewhat hard pull 70% braking) the feeling smooths out. ABS is working when I try to lock them up as ABS is supposed to ... very light braking is smooth, and very hard braking seems smooth, just the moderate braking. So I'm putting this down to the linked brakes? I think I need to ride another concours to have a comparison.
  I'm thinking the new rotors could have been damaged in shipping (wouldn't explain why light and hard braking seems smoothish) or this is just how the early version of the linked brakes function. If this actually IS how the early style ABS feels then I don't think  I can live with it. This is my first motorcycle with ABS and I love the security it brings.
     Any thoughts are appreciated.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 03:49:11 am by Hayabusa3 »

Offline connie_rider

• I Need a Life
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2018, 01:18:27 pm »
Hayabusa, what year is your bike?
Do you have a way to put a dial indicator on the rotors?

I think I recall that the Connie Rotors were changed to a different design.
"I Think" it may have had something to do with the way the rotors floated on the rotor hubs.
As everyone her knows, my memeory sux...
Hopefully someone here will have better memory and info.

Ride safe, Ted