Author Topic: Brake rotor opinions  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Brake rotor opinions
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2018, 12:03:23 am »
Ted it's a 2012. There's a magnetic run out gauge at work somewhere that I'll try and get my hands on tomorrow and attach it, but I wasn't sure how accurate a reading would be on semi floating disks...

Update: I took the bike to work this morning - 45 mile commute. At freeway speeds the pulsation is severe. Absolutely not rideable. I took it very easy for the commute in both directions and it's parked up. For the immediate future I'm going to take a sanding disk to the old rotors and gently clean them and reinstall them with the now new EBC pads.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2018, 12:18:38 am »
Ok, not sure what to say here.
Suggest doing the readings and let us know what you find out.
Think I would check runout on the rim while your doing them.
Hopefully others have some idea where to go next??

Ride safe, Ted

PS: You can buy a inexpensive travel dial and magnet at HF.
      Should be relatively simple to build a mount to attach it to your forks.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:27:43 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2018, 12:46:06 am »
Will do.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2018, 09:57:54 pm »
If you running the Chinese rotors, did you shim the ABS sensor?  Many of us have had to do this, probably 2 washers- depending on the thickness. When I first installed the rotors, the brake pulsation was downright dangerous!
2002 Honda VTR1000F SuperHawk
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750   1993 Yamaha Seca II
1990 Kawasaki EX500      1983 Honda CB1000 Custom

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2018, 01:59:08 am »
I had read on here that that might be an issue and my sensor was also going to rub, so it got a shim before riding. Good looking out.

Offline Hayabusa3

• Tricycle
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:09 pm »
Update:
I wasn't able to get a runout gauge from work but I contacted the company from eBay and explained the situation and they easily agreed to send me out a new set of rotors which suggests that this isn' the first complaint about their rotors being warped form new....anyway, there's a storm in the asian pacific thats holding them up so I decided to take a buffing disk to my original rotors and put put them back on with the new EBC pads.
       And now there's no pulsation - surprise surprise I hear you say. Stops very smoothly. I just didn't want to b dealing with a routine disk sanding but because it was factory pads that were supposedly leaving deposits on the rotors that shouldn't be an issue with new pads.

Long story short, I should have saved myself $150 and removed the rotors, give them a good blast with the sanding disk and replaced the factory pads. I figured I didn't want to be sanding regularly, and I wasn't convinced the pads were leaving deposits.

Anyway, I'm off to put some salt on my hat and eat it. Appreciate all the good info on here.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2018, 03:13:31 am »
Glad it worked out for you.

Takes a big man to admit he was in error.
Saaaalute!!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2018, 04:06:12 pm »
Update:
I wasn't able to get a runout gauge from work but I contacted the company from eBay and explained the situation and they easily agreed to send me out a new set of rotors which suggests that this isn' the first complaint about their rotors being warped form new....anyway, there's a storm in the asian pacific thats holding them up so I decided to take a buffing disk to my original rotors and put put them back on with the new EBC pads.
       And now there's no pulsation - surprise surprise I hear you say. Stops very smoothly. I just didn't want to b dealing with a routine disk sanding but because it was factory pads that were supposedly leaving deposits on the rotors that shouldn't be an issue with new pads.

Long story short, I should have saved myself $150 and removed the rotors, give them a good blast with the sanding disk and replaced the factory pads. I figured I didn't want to be sanding regularly, and I wasn't convinced the pads were leaving deposits.

Anyway, I'm off to put some salt on my hat and eat it. Appreciate all the good info on here.

No harm, no foul. Glad you got it all working well. Sorry to hear the new rotors didn't work out.

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12697
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2018, 07:49:20 pm »
+1 on the EBC's. I got mine from Murph as well. I was not impressed with the OEM's. I looked at the Brake Tech's but decided to save a few bucks with the EBC's. They've been rock solid.

EBC rotors rock - big improvement from stock