Author Topic: Break In Best Practices  (Read 1884 times)

Offline IBAJIM

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12891
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Break In Best Practices
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 11:12:19 pm »
IBA # 35372  BBG (5-2014)
Great Lakes 100  (2011) 
All Other GRT LKS Rides x2  (2012-2018)
BB1500's x3
Other SS1K's x8  (2009-2017)

Offline Jonbo

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12896
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 10:19:16 am »
Thanks one & all for the sage advice. I have surpassed the 600 Mi. mark by 300 + Mi. as well as doing the first service in a timely fashion. Although I have yet to redline it, 8,000 RPM has been has been touched upon more than once. I confess we are still getting acquainted and I am thoroughly impressed with the power with superlative handling too. Only two things I have to acclimate to, that being the brakes and the low fuel indicator. The linked binders work very well just trying to get the lever/pedal coordination worked out. The low fuel indicator I believe comes on when down to the last half gallon of fuel so I am a little uneasy about the distance yet left in the tank when it comes on. Talking fuel mileage, is 200-225 Mi. pretty much what I can expect/tank in stock form? Thanks. This is fun. A great bike and outstanding forum too. Guess I better become a member. :) 

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2018, 11:49:50 am »
The linked binders work very well just trying to get the lever/pedal coordination worked out.

Jonbo, I have a 2014. The way the brakes link on your 2018 are far better than on mine.
I've found that the best way to get the lever/pedal coordination correct, is; don't touch the pedal.
When you apply the front brakes, the lever is already applying all the rear brakes you need.
I know it sounds strange and goes against everything you have learned over the years, but it works.
Because of your previous experience, initially, you'll have to force yourself not to use the pedal...
But, try it, learn to trust it, and you'll be amazed. {and a better rider}

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Yes, do join us... And come to some of the COG Rally's..
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 03:08:33 pm »
Got to agree with Ted here, not to start the inevitable linked brakes war but I am thankful for the bike. Since my right ankle has been reconstructed post trauma it does not work. There is no ability to use the pedal so the linked brakes in my right hand are just what the Dr ordered. I don't miss the right foot pedal and yes, I feel like I am a better rider because of it. Miss my 08 but I sure like the new one when it comes to brakes. Enjoy, welcome, see you at a group ride.

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 03:16:25 pm »
And you only need one finger to achieve a massive amount of stopping power. :singing:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 11:08:54 pm »
Ride the crap outta it, ride it like you stole it, screw the oil... but I've never owned a new bike or car so don't go by what I say!  :))
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Colt45

• Scooter
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • COG#: 7914
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
I do and recommend what Caffieneman does, without all the oil changes and with strict adherence to a gentle and thorough warm-up before revving over 2500 rpm.  I change the oil at 500 and 5000 miles and go to synthetic.  By 3k miles I will occasionally hammer it like I stole it and actually ease up on the throttle after the 5k oil change.  It's  done by then, ride normally. 

Gentle early, harder with miles. 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987, MR Flash, Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattavegas  COG #7914   IBA #33000

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2018, 03:00:05 am »
I have found the Mototune break in claims to be well thought out. I was skeptical at first, but they do match my experiences. Without exception, all the engines that I have broken in easy have tended to dirty oil in few miles and have dynoed weak to the tune of at least a few %. Two quick examples :
CBR 900 I broke in easy smoked up the dyno room and made 6 - 9hp less than others of the same model. It's oil got dirty fast. A ZX6R that I also broke in easy had identical issues, smoked up the dyno room and made 3-6 less hp than others. It's oil (and cylinders) got dirty fast. Both of these bikes were the lowest producing bikes of their kind among like examples on the same dyno, and both showed it on the track. Both of these bikes were race bikes, and I thought I was helping them by taking it easy at first.
 The bikes I have run in since learning different have been at or near the top hp compared to others, do not smoke, and maintain cleaner oil.