Author Topic: Breaking news: New C14 owner enjoys comfortable 29F degree commute!  (Read 405 times)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
A few comments on my coldest commute so far on the Connie:

Love them heated grips.  Usually I have to wear my bulky winter gloves below 45F, but today my hands were toasty just using my regular leather gloves with liners.

Love the taller and wider windshield.  With sub-35F temps, I used to need my Freeze Out pullover underneath my jacket with the quilted liner, but today I didn't need the pullover, so no need to do a quick change at work.

Love the protection the fairing provides my legs.   With sub-35F temps I always needed to zip the liner into my overpants, but was fine without it this morning. 

What's also nice is since it rarely gets below 25F in Austin, I should rarely have to commute with the bulky items I mentioned and then have to remove and pack them for the ride home after it warms up. :great:

Offline Charliedog

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
Re: Breaking news: New C14 owner enjoys comfortable 29F degree commute!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 08:41:35 pm »
Agree with the cold weather protection of the C14.  The only thing better is the wind protection of the C10-I commuted on it when we lived in Wisconsin until it snowed.....

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:53:56 pm »
I agree you can ride comfortably in cold weather with the right gear. Be carful with the tires because the compound I assume is like summer tires for cars. Not recommended below 45 degrees. The PR3’s and PR4’s do behave differently in the cold, so I just sort of ride like it’s raining to be safe.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:50 pm »
I agree you can ride comfortably in cold weather with the right gear. Be carful with the tires because the compound I assume is like summer tires for cars. Not recommended below 45 degrees. The PR3’s and PR4’s do behave differently in the cold, so I just sort of ride like it’s raining to be safe.

Funny you mention that.  I can tell you all about what happens when you mix 18 degree pavement with a cold tire.  My son is on his C14 last Feb 18.  Turned left out of the alley in to the street.  Back end washes out.  He's on the ground watching the bike slide towards the neighbors car across the street.....hoping it doesn't hit that car.  Well it did.  Neighbor was happy cause he got a $900 check for a dent he didn't care about.  End result was a trip to the hospital in an ambulance.  He now has a tibial nail that he just had a screw removed from day before yesterday.  He was geared up so no road rash.  Anyways......cold street, cold tires and a touch too much throttle can ruin your day and change your life for a while.  I cold weather ride a bit on my C10.  I keep my son's lesson in mind when I do.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline mirage

• Tricycle
  • Walking stick
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:38:03 am »
Just curious how far the commute is?
Dan
2004 ZRX
2006 KLR
2014 Concours

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 01:42:16 am »
Just curious how far the commute is?

12 miles each way, so not that far, but most of it is on the freeway at 65-70 mph.

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12649
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 01:45:14 pm »

Had a similar "front end slide" a few months ago in 30 degf temps, on a fairly worn Angel GT.
Pants shitter for sure.  :-\

I was riding a bit agressively on a twisty mountain road, so I already knew better -- but I got a good warning to slow down.  Which I did.

Ride smart.  :beerchug:

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...