Author Topic: breath better  (Read 1059 times)

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: breath better
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 01:26:50 am »
Holy air filters, Batman!
Connie air filter IS puny.

Offline Lee Ving

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2018, 11:06:43 pm »
Good to see the woke on the K&N here. The amount of grit they pass IME is unbelievable.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 06:23:12 pm »
While I use the OEM filter, and have no real opinion on the K&N, other than the oil thing, I find it a bit twisted, and even misleading to have so much dissertation about "how bad" the K&N performs, when someone tosses out a bar graph gleaned by a snip from a website dedicated to Nisson Infiniti owners, showing data, which was gleaned from tests done on a Duramax Diesel engine, another totally different engine and system... so now, thru 3 permutations, this data is supposed to be a defiding factor here on a C14...………??????

Apples to apples comparisons work, or apples to bowling balls to double edged razorblade comparo's simply are worthless in my book..

Just keepin it real, peace y'alll... :great: :great:
If its on the internet, it must be true.
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 09:17:38 pm »
The E series Ford vans with diesel use dual air filters (panel type).
Every time intake runners were taken apart, the amount of accumulated dirt/oil mixture was impressive, required thorough cleaning.
Then a coworker decided to upgrade turbo charger in his F350. He'd been using K&N filters religiously.
Upon  disassembly, the amount of dirt accumulated inside intake runners (y-pipe) was, let's say the effective diameter of y-pipe was reduced. The discovery was hastily compared with panel filter equipped air intake and shown to the owner. The  contrast was more than obvious.
The difference in dirt/oil accumulation alone had changed his mind. Since switching to AEM with pre-filter sock, his K&N religion seized to exist.
P.S Different strokes for different folks in regards of automotive consumables.
However, like George Orville wrote in his novel, "Ignorance is strength," -misinformation is the major factor in making wrong choices.
If it is on the internet, it must be true.
Don't forget, it always works both ways.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:26:20 pm by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 09:50:10 pm »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Road Bike
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 01:18:35 am »
The E series Ford vans with diesel use dual air filters (panel type).
Every time intake runners were taken apart, the amount of accumulated dirt/oil mixture was impressive, required thorough cleaning.
Then a coworker decided to upgrade turbo charger in his F350. He'd been using K&N filters religiously.
Upon  disassembly, the amount of dirt accumulated inside intake runners (y-pipe) was, let's say the effective diameter of y-pipe was reduced. The discovery was hastily compared with panel filter equipped air intake and shown to the owner. The  contrast was more than obvious.
The difference in dirt/oil accumulation alone had changed his mind. Since switching to AEM with pre-filter sock, his K&N religion seized to exist.
P.S Different strokes for different folks in regards of automotive consumables.
However, like George Orville wrote in his novel, "Ignorance is strength," -misinformation is the major factor in making wrong choices.
If it is on the internet, it must be true.
Don't forget, it always works both ways.
In most all the diesels out there today unless you delete the PCV or at least add good oil catch can to the system you will always find a large amount of  crap in the Y- bridge and intake piping.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 02:14:54 am »
Given, 7.3 is well known to have above average oil blow-by, the accumulations were not only found in Y-pip but in compressor inlet with inducer portion of compressor vanes looking like it had been sandblasted.
6.0L had different breather system, eliminating most of blow-by in second gen. First gen, with throttle servo, was even forse than 7.3
Besides, his words not mine, he mentioned oiling the filter at shorter intervals.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 02:59:29 am »
More is better???
The K&N type filter is a viable option if the associated limitations are understood and it's "Properly" maintained. The two biggest problems are over oiling and over oiling. The oil migrates when still wet and especially when over applied. As I stated earlier the K&N filter is a quality product when used correctly. However, OEM filters have mostly reached the point where using aftermarket filters is no longer Necessary from a performance standpoint. From the mid 60's to the late 70's they were just about the only functional option. Oiling the filter at shorter intervals is a clear indication of why the intake tract was such a mess.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Colt45

• Moped
  • COGnito Ergo Zoom
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7914
Re: BREATHE better
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 06:23:06 pm »
I have been a fan of K&Ns for a long time.  But, since my '85 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe a K&N has made no detectable improvement in performance.  I've never had oiling or MAF issues from them either. 

How hard is it for an engine engineer to upsize a paper filter to equal the flow or pressure drop of a K&N?  Do you really think he would leave power on the table that is that easy to get?  I have seen pics on the interwebs purporting to show wear/damage from use of a K&N, but none that were really verifiable.  So, I just use the OEM filters anymore. 

If I had a truck or dozer that was supposed to make money for me, I would not consider a K&N for the maintenance downtime.  Nor would I pay for 2 so I could swap them and go back to work or risk the warranty on my $80k engine.  I believe that is the reason K&N no longer has a presence in the industrial/construction sector. 
John  '09 Concours 14 TCBM  Full Area P, Traxxion & Penske 8987,
Front Canyon Cages
'00 748/853 "Rosetta" 
Chattanooga  COG #7914   IBA #33000